Different Pickups

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Different Pickups

Postby chris mcbain » Tue Sep 13, 2022 3:09 pm

Hello Shad Friends,

I have a Made in Japan Fender Stratocaster which is a 1968 reissue made in 2017 according to the specks has Vintage Type style single coils, but they seem to be to very
bright especially the bridge pick up and when playing the high E string nearly blows my ear drums ( and I am Slightly hard of hearing and wear hearing aids)
altering the 5 way makes a difference but still far too high pitched even when I remove my hearing aids,I have no idea what make the coils are or even if they are
fitted with the correct ones, I bought this guitar new so it's not been messed with but these coils are having to go, I have looked at swapping the full scratch plate
fully loaded for ease but as I am left handed cant find one any where and they cost silly money so it will just be the pick ups of some sort, I seen some fed back
on Tonerider Sufaris and they are around £80 but could do with any views and comments from you Guys to go with these or an alternative.

Chris.
chris mcbain

Full Real Name: Christopher Mcbain

Re: Different Pickups

Postby roger bayliss » Tue Sep 13, 2022 3:55 pm

Have you tried altering the tone controls to get a tone pot on the bridge first. It usually just involves a small piece of wire and soldering. Plenty of info how to do this on a Google search.

I have the Tonerider Surfaris on an home build strat and they are very good and definitely lose the treble icepick. They are made using the Alnico 3 magnets which are less spiky than the Alnico 5.
American Pro Series Strat 2017, G&L S500 Natural Ash
roger bayliss

Full Real Name: Roger Bayliss

Postby Stu's Dad » Tue Sep 13, 2022 10:31 pm

Chris,

I've got a Squier Classic Vibe 50s and I was persuaded by a member here that the pickups are Tonerider Surfaris. I also fitted the same pickups in to an older MIJ Fender Strat from 1984. Not only do they sound similar, but they have identical specs, so I believe they are fitted to the Squier. The one difference is that on the Squier the bridge pickup can have that awful sharp treble screech. It's easy to control by backing off the volume to between 8 & 9, when it comes out perfect. I think the difference between the two guitars is probably the pots, they're full size on the Fender but only half size on the Squier.

I've been asked why I put the same pickups on two different guitars, and it's because I use the Squier for playing Shadows music and the Fender for playing anything else.

If I were you I'd take Roger's advice first, and then try backing off the volume. If neither of those work, it's a vote for the Toneriders from me.

Len
Stu's Dad

Full Real Name: Leonard Evans

Postby Uncle Fiesta » Wed Sep 14, 2022 1:45 am

The easiest way to change the sound of your guitar is y wandering over to the amp and twiddling the knobs on that. Amazing how many people forget this.
Uncle Fiesta

Full Real Name: Steve Tebble

Postby Somerset » Wed Sep 14, 2022 10:24 am

Uncle Fiesta wrote:The easiest way to change the sound of your guitar is y wandering over to the amp and twiddling the knobs on that. Amazing how many people forget this.

Something else that can have a major impact on tone is the humble pick. The variety of tones between a .73 and a 1.4 is very noticable. Pick shape (rounded or pointed), material and the way you hold it also affects tone.

As well as having different echo settings and pickup selections for different tunes, I will also change picks!
Somerset

Full Real Name: Richard Holloway

Postby chris mcbain » Wed Sep 14, 2022 12:42 pm

Hello Shad Friends,

Thanks for your advice and and possible remedies will probably try rogers first, I need a string change so a good time to try and also check what coils are actually
inside, also adjusting the amp settings makes very little difference but alters everything from the guitar sound making it duller I have tried several different picks
no difference to my ears, so at the moment I turn the tone controls down and don't use the bridge pick up at all, makes it easier on the ears but makes the sounds
coming the guitar muddier, thanks again everyone who has replied.

Chris.
chris mcbain

Full Real Name: Christopher Mcbain

Postby Garystrat » Thu Sep 15, 2022 7:34 am

Hi Chris,

It seems to me that experimenting with EQ’ing is moving in the right direction, but this possibly needs to be independent of the amp. When you back off the highs this accentuates the upper lows which could well be the cause of the muddiness you describe, it’s common practice to cut both the lows and the highs via an EQ.

I often back my lows off as much as 200 Hz (via EQ), but it’s more common to be around the 100 - 120 Hz mark. You will see the guitar range of frequencies and explanation in this link:

https://soundadventurer.com/what-are-th ... equencies/

If one guitar is significantly different to the other with all other parameters being the same it may be setup related?

Regards

Gary
Garystrat

Full Real Name: Gary Willmott

Postby shadphil » Thu Sep 15, 2022 8:03 am

Chris, Gary is right try an EQ it allows you to alter the frequencies that you can't alter on a amp.
shadphil

Full Real Name: phil denyer

Postby Gruntfuttock » Thu Sep 15, 2022 3:01 pm

Have you tried lowering the bridge pick up?
Dave
Gruntfuttock

Full Real Name: David Michael Redknap

Postby dave robinson » Fri Sep 16, 2022 12:22 pm

Before parting with any cash for new pickups, from vast experience I would suggest looking at the 'set up' and pick up heights, as well as wiring the treble pickup to the bottom tone control, it's easily done and makes a massive difference. Those pickup height screws are massive tone controls , there's an optimum height or 'sweet spot' that you will find by lowering or raising them. Believe me, I've spent more than enough money on replacement pickups since I became involved here over twenty years ago listening to so called 'experts' and most of my original pickups are now back in place on the original guitars sounding terrific, it's all in the set up. You don't need to waste money on EQ boxes, gadgets or other stuff, the sound is available from guitar, echo and amp if you know what to do to get it. TBH I'm getting tired of proving it. ;)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Next

Return to Gear