futurama anyone!

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: futurama anyone!

Postby boritz » Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:42 pm

shadowriter wrote:... any other members are old enough to remember the Futurama, maybe started on one like me ... any memories or recollections ...

G'day Norman,

Sorry I'm a month late responding.

I still have a Futurama II Deluxe that I bought second-hand in Ewell, Surrey circa 1963 when I was aged 10 (had a Saturday job to pay my Dad's loan - child labour was legal in those days - it was a happy arrangement :D)

The bridge was replaced many years later for one with adjustable saddles for setting intonation.

The pictured original case is badged Selmer.

It was my first electric guitar.

Transported to Australia in 1966.

Cheers, Dave.
Attachments
Futurama II Deluxe.JPG
(55.23 KiB) Downloaded 668 times
Amateur (rank!) since 1963, MIM Strat (2007) Kinman FV-HMS pickups/K9, Easy-Mute, MagicstompEFTP > Korg AX5G > Audacity
boritz

Full Real Name: Dave Powell

Postby JJMMWG DuPree » Thu Dec 01, 2022 2:38 pm

Jolana still make Futuramas (Although sometime in the last couple of years they've started calling them Graziosos, probably lawyers were involved...). Needless to say the quality has gone up considerably.
JJMMWG DuPree

Full Real Name: Deke Roberts

Postby neil2726 » Thu Dec 15, 2022 7:44 pm

The blue one in the pic is exactly the same that I had in the early 60s my first elelctric guitar!
neil2726

Full Real Name: Neil Sutton

Postby shadowriter » Sun Dec 25, 2022 1:52 pm

thanks for all your postings. They evoked so many memories for me. Starting to play
through Lonnie Donegan then Bert Weedon and through to the Shads. (maybe in the new year we could start a new thread
for our favourite early days memories.)
Jim, the futurama my original post was about is the same as the picture posted by Boritz (Dave Powell) only mine is red.

Thanks again everybody, Have a great Christmas

Norman
shadowriter

Full Real Name: Norman Johnson

Postby abstamaria » Tue Mar 21, 2023 2:40 am

Norman, I was quite amused to have come across your post just as
our bass guitarist brought a Futurama II over. He bought it in 1960 or 1961 in Hong Kong, didn’t use it much (he got a Hofner at the same time), and almost immediately stored it. It's been in its case for some 60 years! I think it was made in Soviet-era Czechoslovakia and may be the only one here in the islands. Although two strings have snapped, it still has its original strings.

Andy
Manila
abstamaria

Full Real Name: Andres Sta. Maria

Postby abstamaria » Tue Mar 21, 2023 2:43 am

84A5D502-06A1-44B7-A19B-B8366849FE30.jpeg
Here is the guitar.
abstamaria

Full Real Name: Andres Sta. Maria

Previous

Return to Gear