MAGIC STOMP

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

MAGIC STOMP

Postby fulham » Tue Nov 01, 2022 12:36 pm

HI FRIENDS hope this is the right place for this I was thinking of of getting a Yamaha Magic Stomp if one came up was wondering if it was a Dry sound or a sound like you get from the Quadraverb. Thanks in advance
fulham

Full Real Name: Charles Bacchus

Re: MAGIC STOMP

Postby JimN » Tue Nov 01, 2022 4:29 pm

Many different sounds are available from a Magicstomp just as it comes from the factory, including a Meazzi-alike echo setting called "Multi Tap".

Of course, sets of specific patches can be loaded. These include "Echoes From The Past" (Charlie Hall) and "Sounds Like The Shadows" (Geoff Strachan).

Finding one is the first hurdle...
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby dave robinson » Tue Nov 01, 2022 11:43 pm

If I may offer some useful advice Charles, I would think carefully before buying a Magicstomp because as good as they were, they are now old and many are failing and there are no known solutions for getting them fixed.
As an alternative I would strongly recommend a simple Zoom G3 and I'll give you all the Shadows echoes for it. I myself have the option of my TVS3, Meazzi Echomatic, Strymon Volante but what do I use for convenience ? A Zoom G5n, which is same as a G3 but with a swell pedal and bigger footprint. You can pick up a Zoom G3 for very little money.
If you already knew all of that and have tried one and didn't get on with it then fair enough, but I'm trying to save you some aggro later on.
That said there are a few Magicstomps on eBay. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby fulham » Wed Nov 02, 2022 11:03 am

Thanks Dave I shan’t bother with one now My H & C Echo has broken down all lights up and everything else works but there’s no sound coming from it used one day it was fine turned it on the next and no sound trying to fine we’re to get it looked at. Thanks again Dave for the advice. Charles
fulham

Full Real Name: Charles Bacchus

Postby dave robinson » Wed Nov 02, 2022 1:44 pm

I had problems with my H&C too and ended up returning it to the factory on Charlie's advice. It came back after a £25 repair and worked OK but I went for the TVS3 and sold the H&C.
If you need any help don't hesitate to ask me, I can always help. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby leddo » Wed Nov 02, 2022 4:35 pm

I have owned four Magicstomps over the years and have now reduced my collection to one loaded with EFTP patches which are wonderful. I have never had any issues with any of them, possibly because I use the correct power supply and try not to let them overheat by being left powered up for lengthy periods. My understanding is there were problems with Magicstomps overheating and the screen packing in. I suppose it is your luck. Or lack of it.
But I agree with Dave's comments re the Zoom G3n. It is not quite as good as the Magicstomp but it is close. And the Zooms are much easier to find, usually for under £100.
leddo

Full Real Name: Phil Lynch

Postby RogerCook » Wed Nov 02, 2022 10:31 pm

The 2 most likely problems with the Magicatomp are the output mute transistors and the dsplay failing, both fixable but obviously at a cost.
RogerCook

Full Real Name: Roger Cook

Return to Gear