Burns Black Marvin

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Burns Black Marvin

Postby Teflon » Sun Dec 18, 2022 11:42 pm

JimN wrote:
Teflon wrote:
dave robinson wrote:You haven't seen a black Marvin now, that's basically a Marquee.
No ResoTube trem, just a Strat copy. :|

But still a "Marvin" from Jim Burns during his "Burns Actualizers" period (post the Burns Baldwin period) ;) . Not something I would like myself, as you say, it's essentially a Strat copy with a scroll headstock.

The trem bridge was suspended via a knife-edge arrangement.

The pickups were way better than anything Fender were then making!

I had been told they were nice guitars - good to know the trem was more than just a Fender copy :) . I must confess, I've often wondered why Barry produced the "Marquee", rather than making it a repro Littleport "Marvin" (as I tend to think of it) as they have a lot of similarities at first glance.

Cliff
Teflon

Full Real Name: Cliff Bradley

Postby Moderne » Mon Dec 19, 2022 5:58 am

I remember contacting the factory to try to obtain one c.1983 but it all came to nothing - I think I was too late. I was 19 at the time and had saved up enough money from my Saturday/school holiday job clearing tables in one of the four 'eateries' at Fenwicks in Brent Cross! Hank actually posed for a photo session with one of these guitars...and ended up having to pay the photographer! (I hope Stuart Duffy is reading this as he will remember more details and may even have the photograph...) Definitely more than a 'Strat-copy' which it appeared to be...but certainly not a replica of the original 1960s Burns Marvin.

I believe they made a 'Bison' at the time, as well as the (then!) current Burns range (Magpie, Bandit, Steer etc)... The Burns logo wore off as it wasn't engraved into the scratchplate.
Last edited by Moderne on Mon Dec 19, 2022 6:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Moderne

Full Real Name: Clive Webb

Postby Moderne » Mon Dec 19, 2022 6:10 am

Moderne

Full Real Name: Clive Webb

Postby leddo » Mon Dec 19, 2022 2:59 pm

I'm pretty sure that seller has been mentioned on this forum before.
leddo

Full Real Name: Phil Lynch

Postby Teflon » Fri Dec 23, 2022 5:25 pm

Well there you go, having said on this very thread that I've only ever seen pics of this model finished in white or black, a brown one appears on Reverb https://reverb.com/uk/item/64186645-burns-marvin-in-brown-sunburst-1980s (sale is nothing to do with me I should add!)

Cliff
Teflon

Full Real Name: Cliff Bradley

Previous

Return to Gear