Burns Black Marvin

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Burns Black Marvin

Postby drakula63 » Sun Dec 18, 2022 11:27 am

Never seen a black one before. There can't have been many of these made. A nice reference to the Black Strat of the '70s. ...although the white tone knobs would have to be changed!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254940440819 ... %7Ciid%3A1
drakula63

Full Real Name: Chris Drake

Re: Burns Black Marvin

Postby Teflon » Sun Dec 18, 2022 2:59 pm

From the "Burns Actualizers" period and quite different from the original (and re-issued) Marvins. I've never seen one "in the flesh", but I've been told they are nice instruments. They were available in white; black; red sunburst; green sunburst, or brown sunburst, though I've only ever seen pics of them in white or black. Hanks signature was removed from later ones as he hadn't given permission for it's use as I understand it.

Cliff
Teflon

Full Real Name: Cliff Bradley

Postby dave robinson » Sun Dec 18, 2022 6:24 pm

drakula63 wrote:Never seen a black one before. There can't have been many of these made. A nice reference to the Black Strat of the '70s. ...although the white tone knobs would have to be changed!

You haven't seen a black Marvin now, that's a Marquee. :|
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby dave robinson » Sun Dec 18, 2022 7:21 pm

dave robinson wrote:
drakula63 wrote:Never seen a black one before. There can't have been many of these made. A nice reference to the Black Strat of the '70s. ...although the white tone knobs would have to be changed!

You haven't seen a black Marvin now, that's basically a Marquee.
No ResoTube trem, just a Strat copy. :|
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby Teflon » Sun Dec 18, 2022 10:22 pm

dave robinson wrote:You haven't seen a black Marvin now, that's basically a Marquee.

But still a "Marvin" from Jim Burns during his "Burns Actualizers" period (post the Burns Baldwin period) ;) . Not something I would like myself, as you say, it's essentially a Strat copy with a scroll headstock.

Cliff
Teflon

Full Real Name: Cliff Bradley

Postby drakula63 » Sun Dec 18, 2022 10:32 pm

So it's a 'Marvin' in name... if not in nature! I suppose one of those with 'Marvin' written on the headstock and Hank's signature would be worth having for the reasons stated above. I do remember seeing Hank 'playing' a white one of these (got it on video) on a Dutch or Norwegian TV show from about 81-82. The guitar looks wrong without the Rezomatic system and the darker wood fret board on the neck. Never the less, if I had a couple of grand that I could easily lose, I'd be tempted to buy it, just to hang it on the wall and look at. But those white tone knobs would have to go!
drakula63

Full Real Name: Chris Drake

Postby JimN » Sun Dec 18, 2022 11:08 pm

All black (with chrome Telecaster-type knobs, not white) was actually the "standard finish" for a Littleport Marvin. I assume that was a recognition of Hank's then preference for the all-black Strat, which was appropriate since the original white / tort of the Marvin was a replication of the colour scheme of the Fenders the Shadows were using in 1963.

White was a special order or one from a limited batch.

Frank Hessy's in Liverpool had one of each. I bought the white one (paid £210 on a price match deal).
Last edited by JimN on Fri Dec 23, 2022 11:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby JimN » Sun Dec 18, 2022 11:10 pm

dave robinson wrote:

You haven't seen a black Marvin now, that's a Marquee. :|

No.

It's a UK-built Burns Marvin from circa 1981. Built in Littleport, near Ely and easily distinguished by the recessed truss-rod adjustment wheel, the four-section scratchplate and the adjustable pole encapsulated house-made pickups.

I had one for a few years.
JimN

Postby JimN » Sun Dec 18, 2022 11:12 pm

Teflon wrote:
dave robinson wrote:You haven't seen a black Marvin now, that's basically a Marquee.

But still a "Marvin" from Jim Burns during his "Burns Actualizers" period (post the Burns Baldwin period) ;) . Not something I would like myself, as you say, it's essentially a Strat copy with a scroll headstock.

The trem bridge was suspended via a knife-edge arrangement.

The pickups were way better than anything Fender were then making!
Last edited by JimN on Sun Dec 18, 2022 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JimN

Postby JimN » Sun Dec 18, 2022 11:14 pm

drakula63 wrote:So it's a 'Marvin' in name... if not in nature! I suppose one of those with 'Marvin' written on the headstock and Hank's signature would be worth having for the reasons stated above. I do remember seeing Hank 'playing' a white one of these (got it on video) on a Dutch or Norwegian TV show from about 81-82. The guitar looks wrong without the Rezomatic system and the darker wood fret board on the neck. Never the less, if I had a couple of grand that I could easily lose, I'd be tempted to buy it, just to hang it on the wall and look at. But those white tone knobs would have to go!

The white tone knobs were not supplied with the guitar. That's a mod (though not a good one, I'll agree).

Burns used dome-topped Telecaster type chrome knobs. The pickguard was not engraved with the function or gradation of the controls (pretty much like a Telecaster or jaguar, in fact).
JimN

Next

Return to Gear