STRYMON VOLANTE

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: STRYMON VOLANTE

Postby P.G.M.G. » Sun Feb 26, 2023 7:44 pm

Hi Dave Robinson,

Probably you have overlooked my question, asked on February 25 th.
Is it possible to answer my question! I would appreciate it much.
Thanks in advance.

Greetings,
Peter
P.G.M.G.

Full Real Name: Peter Geuijen

Postby dave robinson » Sun Feb 26, 2023 10:26 pm

P.G.M.G. wrote:Hi Dave Robinson,

Probably you have overlooked my question, asked on February 25 th.
Is it possible to answer my question! I would appreciate it much.
Thanks in advance.

Greetings,
Peter

You're asking if I get a hum when using my Strymon Volante with my Fender ToneMaster Deluxe Reverb ? No.
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby dave robinson » Sun Feb 26, 2023 10:30 pm

Teflon wrote:
abstamaria wrote:For those who do not want to study and configure the device, wouldn’t it be simpler and at least as satisfactory, particularly for gigs, just to use a Zoom pedal or other device with Charlie Hall's EFTP on it? Charlie put much effort into it, analyzing echoes to the millisecond! Then it is simply plug and play I'm assuming he costs are comparable and that EFTP or a derivative is still available..

All the best,

Andy

Also worth mentioning that Charlies EFTP patches were discontinued some time back when he began producing the Hall & Collins Signature Echo (which itself is no longer available new). The "successor" to EFTP was Halls Echos, and these also no longer seem to be available.

There is, of course, the Blue Nebula pedal which does a fine job (to my ears at least) for relatively little cost. It's not in the same league as the TVS3, but should suffice for most gigging situations I would have thought. I'd be interested in Daves view of the device if he has had the chance to play with one.

Personally, as a "bedroom player", I have a 2nd hand Zoom G3X, which is ideal for me as I can use headphones and forgo an amp altogether, and it also doubles as an audio interface for recording. I also have a pair of Boss "Waza Air" earphones which I love. They're fully wireless, and have blue tooth audio for streaming of backing tracks. I set the 'phones to it's standard "Clean echo" setting and it's literally a case of popping on the headphones and playing along to backing tracks from my 'phone - so quick and convenient. I should say, the echoes are NOT "Shadows correct", but they are nonetheless very pleasing, and its a great way of having a sneaky practice at a players night!

Cliff

I had a Blue Nebula briefly and let it go. For me, it sounded good but too fiddly for stage use. I had the eTap that preceded it and sold it for the same reason.
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby P.G.M.G. » Sun Feb 26, 2023 10:47 pm

Hi Dave,
Thank you very much for answering my question.
I am convinced now that the Strymon Volante and the Fender Tonemaster are a good match.

Greetings,
Peter
P.G.M.G.

Full Real Name: Peter Geuijen

Flat wound

Postby abstamaria » Mon Feb 27, 2023 3:23 am

Thank you, Dave. Over a few years, I bought four units that Charlie Hall programmed for the scripted retro shows I produced then. This was before the TVS3 became available. Charlie I found to be very pleasant and helpful. We lost touch, unfortunately, and I wonder how he is.

I bought a TVS3 when introduced. Paul Rossiter is a marvelous person and (in spite of his impressive credentials and experience) very friendly. Working with Spike and Paul's team was effortless.

We used the EFTP Zooms in early shows, which impressed the audiences. To be honest, they probably would have been impressed by any reasonable echo machine (except maybe for the proverbial ShadowMusic critic standing in the rear of the theater). I used the TVS3, managed by staff in the wings (which was very convenient), in later shows. In those largish shows, I do not know if anyone in the audience noticed the difference. It was That Sound and original style (or our feeble attempts at those) that drew their attention. The echoes were the icing. Any close-enough echo would probably do. I surmise the same would be the case in gigs in restaurants o other venues, where people eat, drink, and chat.

In the studio, playing by myself and comparing an EFTP Zoom and the TVS3, the TVS3 shows off its magic. It is a gem, and I treasure it. (I have two!)

I gave one of Charlie's Zoom pedals to a friend (a Shadows fan who gave me a rare Halda Speedpilot; the old car rally guys remember the 1960s device). I will keep the other EFTP machines; they have historical value and great to bring to jams with friends elsewhere.

Thanks, Cliff. I have not kept up with the echo scene and did not know Charlie Hall’s patches and machines are no longer available. That is sad. I gather there is no comparable “plug-and-play” alternative now, other than the superb TVS3.

Best.

Andy
Last edited by abstamaria on Tue Mar 21, 2023 3:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
abstamaria

Full Real Name: Andres Sta. Maria

Postby Uncle Fiesta » Mon Feb 27, 2023 4:17 pm

Good point Andy.

Playing to an audience full of Shadows experts? Better have your echoes spot on.
Anyone else? Matters not a jot. The last band I was in did a few Shads tunes; I was using a Les Paul through a Boss DD3 into a Marshall Valvestate, and we'd still get people coming up to tell us how good they thought we sounded.

There are so many indifferent covers bands out there, that anyone making half an effort can be ahead of the game.
Uncle Fiesta

Full Real Name: Steve Tebble

Postby shadphil » Sat Mar 18, 2023 4:34 pm

Hi has anyone managed to get the David Gilmore delays on the volante thanks phil
shadphil

Full Real Name: phil denyer

Postby shadphil » Wed Apr 05, 2023 7:28 pm

What no gilmour fans out there
shadphil

Full Real Name: phil denyer

Postby abstamaria » Thu Apr 06, 2023 12:07 am

With Paul having just announced he is ceasing the manufacture of the TVS3, there is for the first time in decades no pre-programmed Shadows-specific echo in the market. An era has ended.
abstamaria

Full Real Name: Andres Sta. Maria

Postby artyman » Thu Apr 06, 2023 8:46 am

abstamaria wrote:With Paul having just announced he is ceasing the manufacture of the TVS3, there is for the first time in decades no pre-programmed Shadows-specific echo in the market. An era has ended.

Yes there is the "Blue Nebula"
artyman

Full Real Name: Ken Gillam

PreviousNext

Return to Gear