STRYMON VOLANTE

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

STRYMON VOLANTE

Postby shadphil » Wed Jan 18, 2023 3:26 pm

Hi All ive recently acquired a strymon volante at a price i couldn't turn down i think its a great unit not just for shadows. ive managed to sort out a few shads settings but as some of you know im not very good at setting up things
as i get older. if anyone has any shads song settings on there volante that they wouldn't mind sharing with me i would appreciate it. could you please pm me thanks in advance for any help. phil
shadphil

Full Real Name: phil denyer

Re: STRYMON VOLANTE

Postby shadphil » Sat Jan 21, 2023 11:30 am

Anyone able to help thanks. Phil
shadphil

Postby leddo » Sun Jan 22, 2023 11:44 am

I had one and sent it back because I didn't have the patience to work it out. Pretty sure Dave Robbo has or had one. There was a thread on the Volante a year or two back. If you do a search you'll get more info on it.
It is a great piece of kit and I got some great sounds out of it in the brief period I had mine. Often wished I hadn't been so impatient.
leddo

Full Real Name: Phil Lynch

Postby shadphil » Sun Jan 22, 2023 12:08 pm

Thanks phil for your reply phil
shadphil

Postby Tigerdaisy » Sun Jan 22, 2023 12:18 pm

leddo wrote:I had one and sent it back because I didn't have the patience to work it out. Pretty sure Dave Robbo has or had one. There was a thread on the Volante a year or two back. If you do a search you'll get more info on it.
It is a great piece of kit and I got some great sounds out of it in the brief period I had mine. Often wished I hadn't been so impatient.

I often don't have the patience to bother with sussing out how many of these contraptions work... I guess those interfaces are designed by people who very mysteriously think differently and have a different sense of logic to us... I suppose having used a ton of various software in the past and also designed web sites I just can't be bothered to struggle understanding illogical interfaces.
Tigerdaisy

Full Real Name: Martin Kay

Postby dave robinson » Sun Jan 22, 2023 1:59 pm

I still have my Strymon Volante and it is by far the best of what's available in it''s type. The skill in how to use it has to come from the user, there's no fast track, you just use your ears in the way Hank did with his Meazzi back in the day.
I have a Meazzi Echomatic and the Volante is capable of giving exactly the same results if you put the time in and learn how to use it.
I also still have my TVS3 which is by far the best option at a price, simply because it's programmed perfectly and if you can't get the sound with that, then I don't think there's much hope. I use my TVS3 in the studio and don't wish to carry it around for gigs.
That said, on stage I use my Zoom G5n with the patches I made available free to everyone, simply because regarding the music of The Shadows, nobody has yet been able to tell the difference since I had the Meazzi, TVS3, Strymon Volante and the new Zoom. The Zoom has the swell pedal built in as well as all the effects I use such as chorus, tremolo, reverb, pitch shift, compression, extra EQ - everything and at an affordable price. I have a real Tone Bender for the fuzz but the Zoom does it just as well, same with chorus and tremolo pedals and all of the rest, I just ended up with a massive and very clumsy and heavy pedal board which in truth was no better than what the Zoom G5n or Vox Tonelab LE offered.
As someone already pointed out, you have to fiddle about to get the sounds from the Strymon, but so what ? I enjoy fiddling about with all of it and understanding what each piece of equipment brings to the sound, it's all a part of being a guitarist.
I've studied my Meazzi in connection with Hank's sound and made the Zoom replicate those echo patterns very closely and made my patches available for free to anyone who wishes to use them. I use them for all of our gigs and receive excellent comments about my sound on a weekly basis. Over time I have switched the echo unit on gigs and used the TVS3 and the Strymon Volante and not one person has commented on any difference there may have been.
What I'm not prepared to do is take time to write down all the parameters for the Strymon Volante that are in my head to publish on here, as it would take pages of text and explaining which is stuff I believe should be learned by the user. Sometimes you have to put in some effort as not everything can be 'fast tracked'. :|
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby ChrisWatts » Sun Jan 22, 2023 8:40 pm

I have just purchased one and I’m looking forward to play around with it. But I did notice this below that you may like to check out although I have not purchased this myself.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/285107889255 ... R9i_6q-7YQ
Best wishes
Chris
ChrisWatts

Full Real Name: Chris Watts

Postby dave robinson » Sun Jan 22, 2023 8:57 pm

ChrisWatts wrote:I have just purchased one and I’m looking forward to play around with it. But I did notice this below that you may like to check out although I have not purchased this myself.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/285107889255 ... R9i_6q-7YQ

Trust me, put in a few hours and you won't need to pay £40 out. Use your ears .
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Postby dave robinson » Sun Jan 22, 2023 9:09 pm

I will just put this here to give you a start.

Wonderful Land - Kon Tiki - The Savage - Peace Pipe etc etc Heads 1-2 3 on amber Head 4 on green. I have the time signature knob fully clockwise for these sounds. I use the drum echo setting with some dirt added. Set the speed accordingly until you hear the correct speed on the damped notes. Add feedback to suit and adjust echo level for different tunes as 80% of the Shads tunes work with this setting, it's just different echo volume levels that change. For Shadoogie, Shindig and similar, less echo volume. For Atlantis and Wonderful Land you need more echo volume.

Apache Head 1 on green , head 3 & 4 on amber NO FEEDBACK - set speed to the song tempo.
FB I, Man Of Mystery, Frightened City are same but with feedback and other fine adjustments, I'll leave you to find them
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Postby dave robinson » Sun Jan 22, 2023 9:17 pm

What I will say about my findings upon hearing the Art Deco efforts on eBay is stay well clear.
I bought a Zoom G3 that had their stuff loaded and the patches were nowhere near where they need to be and sounded poor.
I hate to see people wasting money. :|
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Next

Return to Gear