STRYMON VOLANTE

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: STRYMON VOLANTE

Postby dave robinson » Wed Feb 22, 2023 1:44 am

jimt855 wrote:Dave your a star, I will be buying one of these as my zoom G3N has stopped talking to my pc. There is a couple of videos on YouTube, where they show the settings for wonderful land and one other, really good copy of Hanks sound.

I've seen them, they're OK but nowhere near right. Head levels incorrect as well of choice of controls. The key is in the detail. If you're not bothered about accuracy I suppose some people would be happy, but not I. If one isn't going to get the best out of it, why spend that amount in the first place?
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby dave robinson » Thu Feb 23, 2023 10:21 am

I've been playing with the Strymon Volante over the past week or so with my Zoom G5n set on a straight Vox AC30 tone with no other effects engaged, using the Zoom as a preamp before my Roland Cube EX. The results are very good and satisfying and I have noted that the echo volume on the Strymon is critical to getting the effect to perfection, EG too much level and the sound is dominated by echo, but too little and you don't 'feel' the sound as you would expect. It's fiddly, but very rewarding if you persist. Same goes for the tape saturation knob for how much grit you want in the actual echo, I've learned quite a bit this week.
Back in the day I know that Hank would have had big deviations on his Meazzi machines and would not be able to guarantee his same sound from one session to the next, simply because the Meazzi units are so bloody temperamental as to how the controls, drum or tape respond on a given day. Listening to all those Shadows classic hits that we all use as a yardstick for the sound, we try to copy them with every nuance, but in truth there would sometimes be a problem with his Meazzi (EG on Apache the feedback wouldn't work properly) and that resulted in no feedback added to the echo signal, which was accepted and made history. The number of times that Dick Denney was called upon to fix Hank's Meazzi at gigs and in the studio became intolerable for Dick and it culminated in Dick smashing up The troublesome Meazzi and burying it in his garden if the stories are to be believed. I can vouch for the Meazzi machines being troublesome and temperamental, as I have experienced it with my own Echomatic.
So what I am saying is, that we are all trying recreate something from a catalogue of freak events that occurred with pretty unreliable kit. I sometimes despair at getting the sound exactly as I hear it on those recordings, only to lose it the next time I set it up, simply because of anomalies with the controls and how they choose to react on any given day. What I have accepted is that the way the music is played is important and that's where we should focus. I have listened to Hank playing Apache on all the recordings I own and there are hundreds, but only the studio recording from Abbey road, the one that cut the original single, is the one with THE magic. The rest of them you can mostly tell that it's Hank, but the sound lacks that same magic of the original record, which is something I have accepted and moved on from , on the premise of, If he can't do it, we certainly won't. Later in the 1960s Hank switched to using Binson Echorec machines on stage and they were more reliable, but I didn't realise that he hadn't used the Binson on Apache (I didn't know until 1999) and we all accepted his sound as being what it was. Incidentally the Binson can't get near the Meazzi's echo pattern for Apache, but I never noticed at the time. I know now because of all the comparing I've undertaken and studied the machines and how they work, but back then I was not so well informed.
I won't begin to tell you how important Bruce's J200 part is in that tune on the original recording. ;)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Postby Iain Purdon » Thu Feb 23, 2023 10:58 am

dave robinson wrote:we are all trying recreate something from a catalogue of freak events that occurred with pretty unreliable kit … I won't begin to tell you how important Bruce's J200 part is in that tune on the original recording. ;)

Yes, yes, 100 times yes to both points
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Postby Garystrat » Thu Feb 23, 2023 11:52 am

Hi Dave,

I couldn’t agree more with yourself and Iain, for some time I’ve come to the belief that it’s as much about achieving the character/tone which comes from the Meazzi pre-amp, this is perhaps where the TVS 3 scores highly and I think the Volante has similar qualities.

If I may ask, have you found that there are rough sweet spots for experimenting with the “Rec Level” and “Echo Level” for various numbers or do these vary quite a lot in your experience?

Once again, many thanks for sharing all the work you have put into this!

Regards

Gary
Garystrat

Full Real Name: Gary Willmott

Postby dave robinson » Thu Feb 23, 2023 8:48 pm

I haven't looked for any sweet spots on the rec level but I mostly have mine set at just before 12 O Clock for normal stuff and around 10 past or slightly above for Flingel / MOM. The echo level is something I move around until I hear a satisfactory level when playing with a BT, sometimes it can sound too much and end up swimming if you're not careful, where as not enough makes it sound as there is no echo being used.
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Postby Garystrat » Thu Feb 23, 2023 10:54 pm

Thank you very much Dave, that's very helpful!
Garystrat

Full Real Name: Gary Willmott

Postby P.G.M.G. » Sat Feb 25, 2023 2:36 pm

Hallo members,

I have a question, regarding to Dave Robinson. Because I know he posesses the Strymon Volante and the Fender Tonemaster Deluxe Reverb.
I use the Fender Deluxe in combination with a Foxgear t7e baby delay, but that is not every moment a good match. Sometimes there is a hum that irritates, mostly on the channel with the reverb/ tremolo.
So my question is: is the Strymon and the Fender Deluxe a good match without a hum?

Best wishes,
Peter
P.G.M.G.

Full Real Name: Peter Geuijen

Postby abstamaria » Sun Feb 26, 2023 12:54 pm

For those who do not want to study and configure the device, wouldn’t it be simpler and at least as satisfactory, particularly for gigs, just to use a Zoom pedal or other device with Charlie Hall's EFTP on it? Charlie put much effort into it, analyzing echoes to the millisecond! Then it is simply plug and play I'm assuming he costs are comparable and that EFTP or a derivative is still available..

All the best,

Andy
abstamaria

Full Real Name: Andres Sta. Maria

Postby dave robinson » Sun Feb 26, 2023 2:37 pm

abstamaria wrote:For those who do not want to study and configure the device, wouldn’t it be simpler and at least as satisfactory, particularly for gigs, just to use a Zoom pedal or other device with Charlie Hall's EFTP on it? Charlie put much effort into it, analyzing echoes to the millisecond! Then it is simply plug and play I'm assuming he costs are comparable and that EFTP or a derivative is still available..

All the best,

Andy

You may not want to hear this, but the best thing I ever did was get rid of EFTP and everything related. I spent fortunes believing (foolishly) that this was the way to go and in retrospect I couldn't have been more wrong. The truth is that much of the kit that was being marketed, from pickups to dodgy trem systems at that time, were not what was required to get the old Shadows sound.
I realised it when I got to know Paul Rossiter and he got it right with his TVS3. I decided to buy one but my ears were not helping me at the time and I foolishly dismissed it for a few years until I got the hearing problem sorted out, then I bought a Strymon Volante (and tried and compared everything else available at that time) Meazzi Echomatic, TVS3, finally realising what Paul was talking about. All I will say is that I had a blast learning from these devices and have never looked back, having used my self tuition to programme the Zoom G5n which I use on stage today for convenience. I use my Meazzi, TVS3 & Strymon at home when I'm playing for self satisfaction.
My 17 Stratocasters, some high end, some standard, some Squiers, some Vintage V6 and they are all great sounding guitars, even the ones with cheaper pickups. It's all in the SET UP of the instrument and more importantly who's playing it. I have never looked back. ;)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Postby Teflon » Sun Feb 26, 2023 5:51 pm

abstamaria wrote:For those who do not want to study and configure the device, wouldn’t it be simpler and at least as satisfactory, particularly for gigs, just to use a Zoom pedal or other device with Charlie Hall's EFTP on it? Charlie put much effort into it, analyzing echoes to the millisecond! Then it is simply plug and play I'm assuming he costs are comparable and that EFTP or a derivative is still available..

All the best,

Andy

Also worth mentioning that Charlies EFTP patches were discontinued some time back when he began producing the Hall & Collins Signature Echo (which itself is no longer available new). The "successor" to EFTP was Halls Echos, and these also no longer seem to be available.

There is, of course, the Blue Nebula pedal which does a fine job (to my ears at least) for relatively little cost. It's not in the same league as the TVS3, but should suffice for most gigging situations I would have thought. I'd be interested in Daves view of the device if he has had the chance to play with one.

Personally, as a "bedroom player", I have a 2nd hand Zoom G3X, which is ideal for me as I can use headphones and forgo an amp altogether, and it also doubles as an audio interface for recording. I also have a pair of Boss "Waza Air" earphones which I love. They're fully wireless, and have blue tooth audio for streaming of backing tracks. I set the 'phones to it's standard "Clean echo" setting and it's literally a case of popping on the headphones and playing along to backing tracks from my 'phone - so quick and convenient. I should say, the echoes are NOT "Shadows correct", but they are nonetheless very pleasing, and its a great way of having a sneaky practice at a players night!

Cliff
Teflon

Full Real Name: Cliff Bradley

PreviousNext

Return to Gear