STRYMON VOLANTE

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Re: STRYMON VOLANTE

Postby shadphil » Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:39 pm

Hi Chris,i hope your getting on ok with your volante . I bought a Gecko mk3 midi foot controller which ive managed to set up to control the 8 presets on the volante at the moment and hopefully i can add some more presets later.
It saves me bending down and changing the presets and it fits nicely on my pedal board. Andertons where doing them for £109 if you need any info pm me. phil
shadphil

Full Real Name: phil denyer

Postby ChrisWatts » Tue Jan 24, 2023 8:40 am

That’s excellent Phil.

At the moment as in a previous post my strat is with the guitar technician having a lot of work which includes having gold hardware fitted and getting my Fender Stratacoustic setup as I purchased sometime ago but never got it done. I’m looking forward to experimenting with the Volante and applying Dave’s good advice to see what sound I can come up with.

Hope you have hours of fun with the Volante.

Best wishes
Chris
Best wishes
Chris
ChrisWatts

Full Real Name: Chris Watts

Postby dave robinson » Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:27 am

When I bought the Volante back before lockdown I was immediately impressed with the actual sound of my guitar through the unit, it reminded me of the early days, there was a tone that can't be explained. It was this experience that led me to buy the Meazzi Echomatic and then my second TVS3 and learn more.
Because I knew the patterns in my head after years of trying to understand them, I soon found myself setting those automatically and concentrating on the artefacts that needed to be added to the sound that most other digital units don't possess, but some important ones are there on the Strymon Volante. The top left knob, echo drive is important if you want that 'grunt' you hear on Flingel Bunt, but you have to experiment how much to add along with 'wear' and the other controls. The 'Spacing' knob was a revelation when I turned it and the echo taps fell into perfect sync for certain tunes, but it was all found by me twiddling and constantly plucking away.
That is the key to unlocking the amazing assets of this machine, but most players prefer 'fast track' and don't wish to pursue that path, resulting in people posting a plethora of boring, lifeless sound files that we've heard a thousand times. For me, it's those who are prepared to push the extra mile that are noticed.
Every body to their own, but the attention to detail is rewarding and when you get it right there is no better feeling. ;)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby shadphil » Wed Jan 25, 2023 6:22 pm

I have spoken to strymon they will have a preset editor software programme available for the Volante in the next couple of months allowing backup and saving off all presets in case a factory reset is needed...phil
shadphil

Postby Garystrat » Tue Feb 14, 2023 12:14 pm

Inspired by Dave’s experience and demo videos of the Volante, I ordered one that arrived yesterday and within the first hour of use there was a smile on my face, the echoes were there and it had that certain tonal something which seems to be elusive on many pedals. Whilst I haven’t had time to fully explore the the settings Dave suggests we need to find for ourselves, his settings primer certainly gives a great starting point!

A big thank you from me Dave!

The price of the Volante has recently gone up, but if one is prepared to put in a little work to hone the settings, it still seems to offer good value and contribute much to the echos/character that were the province of more expensive units.

For those with one of the earlier units, there is a firmware checker download (I believe there is an update for earlier models) on the Strymon website, being new unit mine should of course be updated, but I checked it anyway and it was very easy to use. There are several of these checkers for different models, you need to make sure you have the right one for the Volante and correct PC/Mac Version.

Regards

Gary
Garystrat

Full Real Name: Gary Willmott

Postby dave robinson » Wed Feb 15, 2023 10:30 pm

I'm delighted that some folk checked out the Volante, it's a cracking little pedal and really does have the magic.
I don't use it all the time but I wouldn't be without it, same as my TVS3 & Meazzi, each of which I have a blast with from time to time during quality 'me' time.
I need to check them out with my latest stage rig, I've gone with the Roland Cube EX because of what it offers me . ;)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby shadphil » Fri Feb 17, 2023 11:08 am

I agree with Dave the Volante is a great machine some say its up there with the best. i have got some very good echoes but the one that i have trouble with and probably most do is flingel Bunt
I have listened to the original and then to the Just Hank interview vhs 1997 on youtube where he demonstrates the echoes etc. i would be happy to get some where near that if anyone
has any suggestions i would appreciate it thanks . Phil

Hi Phil I just had a play on my Volante and got a decent Flingel Bunt echo and I've took a picture of my unit and sent it to you via email.
Make sure you copy all my settings on every knob & switch. You need the saturation to get the same sound as Hank, but he very rarely pushed it that hard for much else. ;)
shadphil

Postby shadphil » Sun Feb 19, 2023 7:59 pm

Thanks Dave got that. If anyone is interested theres a strymon volante for sale for £299.99 pedal only on a certain well known auction site. phil
shadphil

Postby jimt855 » Tue Feb 21, 2023 7:15 pm

Dave your a star, I will be buying one of these as my zoom G3N has stopped talking to my pc. There is a couple of videos on YouTube, where they show the settings for wonderful land and one other, really good copy of Hanks sound.
jimt855

Full Real Name: James Tyler

Postby Garystrat » Tue Feb 21, 2023 7:25 pm

Hi James,

I too saw the YouTube video, but I would use Dave's settings above where stated!

Regards

Gary
Garystrat

Full Real Name: Gary Willmott

PreviousNext

Return to Gear