Amp in the Antoria Days.

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Amp in the Antoria Days.

Postby abstamaria » Sun Feb 19, 2023 2:20 am

Is it the consensus consensus that Hank used his Antoria to record Jet Black? If so, what amplifier did he use? I assume he did not have the Meazzi then yet?
abstamaria

Full Real Name: Andres Sta. Maria

Re: Amp in the Antoria Days.

Postby JimN » Sun Feb 19, 2023 2:35 am

Yes - the Antoria for the studio versions of Jet Black and Driftin' (both recorded on 25th May 1959).

It is well-documented that the first Shadows single on which the Stratocaster was used was Lonesome Fella / Saturday Dance (recorded 13th September and 25th August 1959 respectively).

The easiest way to approach the subject of the amplifiers (and assuming that they each used the same make of amp at any given time) is to refer to the recording of Willie And The Hand Jive, which features the Fender-style amp tremolo of the Selmer range as opposed to the (later) Jennings Vibravox sound. Willie... was recorded on the 19th November 1959 and features the Selmer amps (Auditorium for Bruce, Stadium - with tremolo - for Hank). It follows that previous recordings also utilised the Selmer amps - as far as can be discerned.
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby RayL » Sun Feb 19, 2023 11:14 am

Hi Jim

History isn't helped by photos like this
shadows reh.jpg
shadows reh.jpg (85.9 KiB) Viewed 2196 times

(from my 'The Shadows album of Guitar favourites' music book, which contains Saturday Dance, Jet Black, Driftin , Shot Gun, Midnight and FBI)
The guys are playing through VOX amps
Hank's guitar lead is not shown going to his amp, but ahead of him, implying it is plugged into something (presumably the Meazzi)

(sorry that there isn't more detail but the pic is a scan from a bigger photo and cropped to conform with the rules of this website)

Jim, is it possible to date that photograph? I bought the book at the beginning of the 1960s.The sheet music for Saturday Dance is 'copyright 1961'
Ray
RayL

Full Real Name: Ray Liffen

Postby JimN » Sun Feb 19, 2023 12:34 pm

The photograph cannot be earlier than about early 1960. Up to and beyond the end of 1959 - and the period under discussion is mid-1959 - The Drifters / Shadows didn't have those Vox AC15s.

The first red Strat arrived after the recordings of Jet Black and Driftin' (this straight from Hank's mouth, who reports that the clave effect on Jet Black is his hitting the Antoria's pickup cover with a plectrum). The sunburst Precision Bass and the Jazzmaster came later still. There are any number of photos of The Shadows with the Strat but with the Vega guitar for rhythm and the Framus bass wielded by Jet. That was the case in the movie "Expresso Bongo", for instance.

The audible evidence from the recording of Willie And The Hand Jive (recorded as late as 19th November 1959) is that the electronic tremolo effect is the (probably optical) type as used in Selmer amplifiers (which were, let's say, "closely modelled" on Fender amps with "vibrato" - that is, tremolo [amplitude variation]).

I've tried to get that sound from a Vox AC30, starting in 1966, without real success. It's something like it, but it isn't it. My Fender Deluxe reverb gets the sound without effort. The Vox's Vib/Trem channel produces a sound of its own (listen to Cliff's Blue Turns To Grey for instance), but not that "Bo Diddley" pulsating rhythm sound...
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby GoldenStreet » Sun Feb 19, 2023 2:49 pm

RayL wrote:
Jim, is it possible to date that photograph? I bought the book at the beginning of the 1960s.The sheet music for Saturday Dance is 'copyright 1961'
Ray

Another 'clue' as to the period of the picture are the glasses Hank is wearing, with the wide ('reverse' taper) temples, which was his favoured particular frame from probably early 1960 to mid-late 1961.

This image from the coffee bar scene in Expresso Bongo shows his earlier 'butterfly' style frame with the much narrower temple, from 1959...

Hank59.jpg
Hank59.jpg (22.54 KiB) Viewed 2156 times

I'll leave it at that! ;)

Bill
GoldenStreet

Full Real Name: Bill Hannay

Postby dave robinson » Sun Feb 19, 2023 3:47 pm

I had a conversation with Hank as many will remember and I do recall him saying they had Selmer amps at the very beginning, which is documented on various photos. The big clue of course is the sound of the tremolo on the amp. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby abstamaria » Tue Feb 21, 2023 4:38 pm

Thank you, Jim, Dave. That is very interesting information. I had always wondered.

I am encouraging a friend to revive his Guyatone (as Antorias are known here) that he’s had from the early 1960s to see how it (and a plectrum on its pick-up) sounds. It still has its original strings; surprisingly, they are flat-wound.

All the best from Manila,

Andy
abstamaria

Full Real Name: Andres Sta. Maria

Return to Gear