RFX-2000 Editor Compatibility?

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

RFX-2000 Editor Compatibility?

Postby dyker124 » Sat Apr 01, 2023 9:47 am

Hi All,

Is the Zoom RFX-2000 Editor program written in Win 95/98 compatible with Win XP?

I'm sure I've used it in the past to load patches via the MIDI link, but now doesn't seem to want to play ball.

The Editor on the PC screen, although seeming to function normally, doesn't seem to see the RFX-2000 with the Roland UM-ONE MIDI interface.

Any ideas please.....

Roger
dyker124

Full Real Name: Roger John Dyke

Re: RFX-2000 Editor Compatibility?

Postby JimN » Sat Apr 01, 2023 2:11 pm

Programs written for Windows 95 (and even many written for previous versions, such as Windows 3.1) ought to work under XP or Vista.

The real compatibility problems came along with Windows 10.

If your program really won't work with a current or very recent version, the only solution is to obtain a cheap laptop running XP or Vista and use that for "legacy" software.
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby dyker124 » Sat Apr 01, 2023 2:56 pm

Hi Jim,

Thanks for that. The laptop that I am using is one I purchased new in about 2009. A few years ago I re-installed it with a fresh copy of XP Home Edition. It works in XP absolutely fine and I am sure I used it to install the RFX-2000 patches some years ago. It just seems strange that I cannot seem to communicate with the RFX any more via the MIDI link. The only thing I could think of was an incomatibility issue of some sort?

Roger
dyker124

Postby dyker124 » Sun Apr 02, 2023 10:27 am

Just an update

Now sorted. The RFX-2000 Editor program does indeed run with Windows XP.

The MIDI interface I am using is the Roland UM-ONE mk2.

Connections are as follows:-

Connector labelled CONNECT TO MIDI IN connect to RFX-2000 MIDI IN

Connector labelled CONNECT TO MIDI OUT connect to RFX-2000 MIDI OUT

(not the other way around as recommended)

The tiny switch on the side of the UM-ONE mk2 interface set to TAB (not COMP as recommended)

In this configuration it gives the ability to write all the user patches to the RFX-2000

For some reason, the downloading of the user patches from the RFX-2000 to the computer doesn't work for some reason. Perhaps it never did?

Roger
dyker124

Postby JimN » Sun Apr 02, 2023 12:48 pm

Glad to hear it's sorted, Roger!

It seems to me that most hardware manufacturers who supply software with their products make that software available online as well, precisely in case of loss of, or damage to, the CD-ROMs.

Well done.
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby dyker124 » Wed Apr 05, 2023 3:30 pm

Update:

Hi All,
Not liking anything to beat me, I've been messing again and had a breakthrough.

Just because it was one of the things I hadn't tried, I decided to dump the XP driver I'd been using which was downloaded from the Roland UN-ONE website for the UM-ONE mk2. Having cleared it out of my system and rumaging through my CD's I came across the XP CD that I'd had with the interface and installed it as per instructions.

This time with the RFX-2000 Editor loaded and the UM-ONE interface set to 'COMP' (instead of 'TAB'), the 'MIDI IN' showed UM-ONE and was ticked. The difference was that this time the 'MIDI-OUT' gave a long list all showing UM-ONE, with the top entry also ticked. With the two MIDI plugs plugged into their respective sockets in the back of the RFX-2000, both 'SendAll' and 'RecAll' work perfectly.

Please note: The UM-ONE 'MIDI IN' plug had to go into the RFX MIDI INPUT socket, and the UM-ONE 'MIDI OUT' plug had to go into the RFX MIDI OUT socket (not as usually recommended). It did not work the other way around.

So in the end it was the UM-ONE mk2 driver that was the problem for some reason. The software gave no indication at all that there was a problem.

I hope this helps someone out there whose having problems.

Roger
dyker124

Return to Gear