Universal Audio Galaxy delay pedal

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Universal Audio Galaxy delay pedal

Postby roger bayliss » Wed Apr 12, 2023 4:40 pm

The new Galaxy pedal from UA is a Roland 301 clone with reverb and head variation, saturation and wow flatter. Looks nice , priced approx £325.

https://youtu.be/S2Ks66hy-Zk
American Pro Series Strat 2017, G&L S500 Natural Ash
roger bayliss

Full Real Name: Roger Bayliss

Re: Universal Audio Galaxy delay pedal

Postby dave robinson » Wed Apr 12, 2023 10:00 pm

At a quick look at the specs, it won't do what the Strymon Volante does by way of replicating the Shadows echo patterns, it's a just Space Echo clone that didn't pull any trees up first time around so I'm out. ;)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby Garystrat » Thu Apr 13, 2023 6:47 am

I’m inclined to agree with Dave, it’s obviously a well made quality pedal, but I can’t really see anything new that has USP appeal!
Garystrat

Full Real Name: Gary Willmott

Postby dave robinson » Thu Apr 13, 2023 8:10 pm

By buying something that won't do the job, all that will be achieved is frustration. I had real Roland 101 / 201 / 301 back in the day and not until I discovered the original Shadows Community Forum in 1999 did I realise that Hank used the Meazzi and that was the key to his tone on those early records. I had only seen him with various Binson machines in the early sixties and thought that's what he used on the records, but later on when I heard him with Echoplex, Watkins, Roland machines, he never got that magic sound that we all fell in love with, simply because those machines won't do it. That said, his playing was always impeccable. Look at some of the videos from those shows, the echo sound is nothing like the recordings.
Nowadays you can buy a Zoom G3 for well under £100 that can be programmed and get you 90% of the desired sound, with which Hank could have sounded almost like his original records in a live situation, or the Strymon Volante for around £300 that is superb, giving all the echo patterns from all the machines he used, as well as the 'dirt' & artefacts of the old Meazzi, if you know how to set it up. Or of course you could perhaps source a used TVS3, they are out there, as are old Meazzi machines. But to go and buy a new machine with rave reviews that categorically will NOT do the job properly for the Shadows music would be frustrating to say the least.
The reason it won't is simple, there are not the head spacings, nor are there enough heads to configure the correct sound. I have a similar Roland clone in the NU-X and as good as it sounds, it doesn't do Shads sounds. ;)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Postby roger bayliss » Fri Apr 14, 2023 3:49 pm

Okay Dave, I fully understand where you are coming from, in that this unit would not represent the echos of the 60"s tunes, there can be no doubt. But, Hank did use the Roland units later and for a substantial amount of time too. In fact right up to 90's when he went over to EFTP and later TVS3.

The Shadows notably recorded a greatest hits album in the 80's probably using the Roland, which although lacked the early sound, was not bad or a slightly different sound. So the unit clearly was used for an extended period of time and was probably the longest time HBM spent with any echo unit in his career. For that reason this pedal is relevant, despite not having the early sound.

Obvious choice then to cover later tunes and Hall and Collins, TVS and eTap2 units, such as Blue Nebula, include settings for the Roland units.

I think this is a great emulation of the Roland 301 and would like to see how it stacks up against a real tape 301 or even the latest Boss pedals that emulate the 301. I heard a comparison of a real Roland tape unit to Boss pedals, which was quite close in many ways, but not exactly the same. Wonder if the Galaxy might get closer to sound like a real Roland 301. If it did, it might be worth a pop as a Roland 301 is at least £2000, including that improved clone an Australian firm makes.

For live playing, you can set up some early tunes on the 301 type and get a credible Wonderful Land etc that the public would not see much difference. The NUX Roland clones as you know are quite good too for the money. Your choice if you get one or not and depends.

:D
roger bayliss

Postby dave robinson » Fri Apr 14, 2023 6:34 pm

I don't think you do know where I'm coming from Roger. I'll enlighten you. it's simple.
Why ? Would you advise or recommend something that in your own admission - will not do the job ? I certainly wouldn't and nor would I try to justify it.
Hank rarely had a great sound for the hits whilst using the Roland and from what I learned twenty years ago talking to people who recorded him, he was glad when EFTP showed up, later to be very pleased with Paul Rossiter's wonderful contribution to his sound, the TVS3. :D
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Postby roger bayliss » Fri Apr 14, 2023 11:54 pm

This guy has already used the Galaxy to great effect. I love it :D :) :)

https://youtu.be/9HDC7a9pXA4
roger bayliss

Postby Uncle Fiesta » Sat Apr 15, 2023 4:39 pm

My brother (a massive Shadows fan) sent me that video yesterday. I think it's utterly horrible. Why people buy a decent guitar then distort it beyond all recognition is beyond me. Might as well use a £20 wreck from Cash Convertors.
Uncle Fiesta

Full Real Name: Steve Tebble

Postby shadphil » Sat Apr 15, 2023 4:56 pm

I have to agree with Roger i think its a great sound and a great version. i have always liked the overdriven sound anyway. phil
shadphil

Full Real Name: phil denyer

Postby Teflon » Sat Apr 15, 2023 5:37 pm

shadphil wrote:I have to agree with Roger i think its a great sound and a great version. i have always liked the overdriven sound anyway. phil

Yes, I agree. The original will always be the best (for me at least), but this version has a lot of energy and a real sense of urgency. A great cover, and nice to hear a different slant on a familiar tune. Martin Cilia's version is also well worth a listen, and gets a "thumbs up" from me :) .

Cliff
Teflon

Full Real Name: Cliff Bradley

Next

Return to Gear