T Rex Binson Echorec drum echo

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

T Rex Binson Echorec drum echo

Postby roger bayliss » Fri Apr 14, 2023 11:46 pm

New for release in May around £2,100 I think he said in video. Pricey ! But maybe the first drum echo in modern days. Interesting for sure, but the heads will not be right for Shads, but maybe some mods would be possible if desired ? Nice unit.

https://youtu.be/Z1B-rZR1a7o
American Pro Series Strat 2017, G&L S500 Natural Ash
roger bayliss

Full Real Name: Roger Bayliss

Re: T Rex Binson Echorec drum echo

Postby Stu's Dad » Sat Apr 15, 2023 9:50 pm

Anderton's are advertising it for £1499 when it comes in stock, and their promotional blurb says there are four play back heads. The pictures show four too, so it may be worth seeing what it's actually like when it does become available.
Stu's Dad

Full Real Name: Leonard Evans

Postby dave robinson » Sat Apr 15, 2023 10:31 pm

It looks like a great bit of engineering and I'd love to have a play with it. I would buy one IF -
It had varispeed
It had level controls for individual heads
It slowed down enough to allow a 605ms tap at head 4
It was fast enough to give 103ms at head 1

All of those things would give it a good chance of getting close to the original Shadows echoes.

But should those features not be available it would just be a massive frustration trying to get those magical sounds
Hank used a Binson Echorec 2 and a Baby Binson on two occasions I saw The Shadows in 1963 & 64 and although pleasant enough, it wasn't the sound that sold those records.
In fact in 1964 they were playing the Burns guitars and the sound had changed altogether, it was fairly dry, if I remember correctly they opened up with Brazil. They were performing alone at Gresborough Club for a full week.
Licorice was with them the first time and they were with Cliff at Sheffield City Hall and were pushing The Boys EP which was newly released. That was the era of the rosewood board / fiesta red Fenders and the sound was good.
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby rockinscott » Sun Apr 16, 2023 1:51 am

Just having a quick look at the photos, it has a control for drum speed and selectable heads, what's interesting is the 2 record heads.

Scott
Mighty Mighty Pleasing Papi's Corn Squeezing, Mercy... White Lightening
rockinscott

Full Real Name: Scott Stannard

Postby Garystrat » Sun Apr 16, 2023 7:17 am

Hi Dave,

In the video he says you can adjust the head levels, but have to use a flat head screwdriver on pots located at the back.

Gary
Garystrat

Full Real Name: Gary Willmott

Postby dave robinson » Sun Apr 16, 2023 10:23 am

Screwdriver adjustments are not what's needed, it's fiddly. Proper volume pots that are easily accessible.
If you want to switch from the Apache echo to the Wonderful Land echo, you need to be able to change things quickly, otherwise it's time consuming and the audience would likely have gone home by the time you've finished buggering about. :lol:
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Postby dave robinson » Sun Apr 16, 2023 1:40 pm

OK I've studied it in more detail and seen the Andertons advert, I'm interested, I want to hear it with me playing. ;)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Postby Garystrat » Sun Apr 16, 2023 4:23 pm

It will be interesting to get you opinion and hear any demo's you may do Dave, but I'm really satisfied with and will be sticking with my Strymon Volante!
Garystrat

Full Real Name: Gary Willmott

Postby dave robinson » Sun Apr 16, 2023 4:52 pm

I'm more than happy with what I have too Gary.
The thing is, I can't help being interested in anything that may do the job though and I like to try new things out.
If I can move a few bits out that I no longer use, such as spare guitars and related equipment that someone else would buy, it will free up spare cash to get one. I've so far funded a Meazzi and my TVS3 by getting rid of stuff that I bought, because certain people on these sites insisted were necessary to get the sound. It took a while but I finally worked it out for myself and dis-associated myself with the nonsense.
What I won't do is lay more money out to buy one, it will be funded from what I already own, but no longer use. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Postby rockinscott » Sun Apr 16, 2023 9:48 pm

Having watched the video, certainly would be nice to tryout. I don't think I would get anything more out of it than me Ese IVR, which has the benefit of selectable regen heads, but having pointimeters for individual heads is a nice touch just a shame they're not more easily accessible. Plus having a drum/wheel as opposed to tape it would be nice to try them side by side.
Mighty Mighty Pleasing Papi's Corn Squeezing, Mercy... White Lightening
rockinscott

Full Real Name: Scott Stannard

Next

Return to Gear