EFTP ZOOM RFX2200 question

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

EFTP ZOOM RFX2200 question

Postby abstamaria » Sun Apr 16, 2023 3:19 am

I have a Zoom RFX2200 with EFTP that I bought from Charlie Hall 16 years ago. I haven’t used it much as I have other echo devices bought after. I have forgotten how tov use it and can’t find Charlie’s instructions.

Do I plug the guitar into the microphone input at the front of the unit or in the L (mono) input at the rear? The latter option muffles the sound.

I should ask this in Charlie Hall and Friends, but can’t get past the “I am not a robot” test. (Can someone also please give me a email address for Charlie?)

Any assistance will be much appreciated.

Best,

Andy
abstamaria

Full Real Name: Andres Sta. Maria

Re: EFTP ZOOM RFX2200 question

Postby Garystrat » Sun Apr 16, 2023 7:08 am

Hi Andy,

Here is a link to the manual:

https://www.zoom.co.jp/products/product ... m-rfx-2200

From memory you use the inputs at the back {left if mono), this is not very well matched impedance wise and I believe Charlie used to recommend using a dummy pedal with instrument level input to line level out.

Charlie uses a mobile phone these day and only accepts contact through the website for support.

Regards

Gary
Garystrat

Full Real Name: Gary Willmott

Postby abstamaria » Mon Apr 17, 2023 12:24 am

Thank you, Gary. I never had to do that bèfore, but will try that.

Regards,

Andy

PS: I have just received very authoritative advice that the mic input may have been what Charlie recommended then.
abstamaria

Postby Garystrat » Mon Apr 17, 2023 7:36 am

Hi Andy,

Looking at the manual in the "Getting Connected" section, it clearly shows the guitar being connected to the left socket at the back via a guitar pedal?

All I can remember is that there was a lot of discussion on this at the time and I believe the purpose of the pedal was to take the input to a line level impedance match, at that time Charlie was selling the units complete with patches, which is possibly why he became more involved.

Looking at the specification it states the mic input on the front has an impedance 4.5 kilohm, this SOS article discusses it:

https://www.soundonsound.com/sound-advi ... s-and-mics

Regards

Gary
Garystrat

Full Real Name: Gary Willmott

Postby bob t » Mon Apr 17, 2023 9:49 am

Hi Andy,

When I had mine Charlie recommended that you use the front microphone input. It also came with a Zoom PD01 power drive which Charlie advised to use between the guitar & RFX if I remember correctly
Presume any drive pedal would do the job

Best Regards
Bob
bob t

Full Real Name: Robert Timmins

Postby alanbakewell » Mon Apr 17, 2023 1:04 pm

Hi Andy, I always used mine with the front microphone input.

It sounded fine to me.

Cheers, Alan.
To know and have known the love of a little dog is a truly wonderful thing.
alanbakewell

Full Real Name: Alan Bakewell

Postby abstamaria » Mon Apr 17, 2023 3:33 pm

Many thanks, Gary, Bob. Your advice much appreciated.

I read a past discussion on Charlie Hall & Friends, albeit on the RFX2000, and find that the advice was as you suggested - a pedal in between the guitar and the RFX. I did not read the instruction manual as making an intervening pedal essential, but that seems to be the case. The impedance value makes it necessary.

I am sure though that I never used a pedal between the guitar and the RFX when I was using the device (15 years ago!). I never owned a pedal then or now (except the G7iut with EFTP I bought later from Charlie). I must have been plugging into the front mic input, as Bob recalls. The email I received this morning said Charlie thinks he recommended the mic input. It said whatever sounds brighter will be the better match.

As I mentioned, I had not used the RFX2200 for many years and thought I should now give it some exercise. Charlie did sell it to me pre-programmed, so it has sentimental value. I'll report if any conclusions appear.

Best from the islands,

Andy
abstamaria

Postby dave robinson » Wed Apr 19, 2023 7:33 pm

A friend recently asked me about the patch list for the RFX 2200 and I have it somewhere and have promised to copy it. When I dig it out I''ll post it here so you can make copies.
I think it's buried in the depths of my studio, though the machine is in the rack, I used it for compression on mix down when I'm down there. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby abstamaria » Thu Apr 20, 2023 2:55 am

EF66C72D-09AF-4CF9-B273-0E0ADA74FAA8.jpeg
Here you go, David. I’ll post page 2 separately.

Andy
Last edited by abstamaria on Thu Apr 20, 2023 3:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
abstamaria

Postby abstamaria » Thu Apr 20, 2023 2:57 am

98E41F4E-9A45-4BC6-B9CE-10ECAD012978.jpeg
Page 2. Unfortunately, the site won’t allow a higher resolution file to be uploaded. I can email these and two other pages if you need clearer copies.
abstamaria

Next

Return to Gear