JMI amps and Music Ground and VOX AC30.

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

JMI amps and Music Ground and VOX AC30.

Postby roger bayliss » Sat May 27, 2023 7:17 pm

Came across this video on uTube which talks about the JMI amps and the Music Ground scandal that JMI became embroiled in and distanced itself from. The JMI AC30 is probably one of the closest you could find to the 60's AC30.

But it also brings up how difficult it is now to find a VOX amp or clone that does the original tones. Most of the clones out there are variations of the AC30 sound and not the sane deal. Build quality by VOX has often been lacking and even the Top Boost tone circuit messed with. For some reason VOX does not seem interested in making the amps that gave the brand its legendary status.

You would think VOX would want to show off its true heritage by manufacturing modern day examples of its legendary amps ?

https://youtu.be/T9paJcgDNPI
American Pro Series Strat 2017, G&L S500 Natural Ash
roger bayliss

Full Real Name: Roger Bayliss

Re: JMI amps and Music Ground and VOX AC30.

Postby bazmusicman » Sat May 27, 2023 9:05 pm

I have a 1964 top boost JMI AC30 for sale, I also have a Shadows 50th Anniversary JMI AC30 limited Edition No 6 of 10 for sale.

Baz.
bazmusicman

Full Real Name: barry palmer

Postby abstamaria » Sun May 28, 2023 5:57 am

Very interesting. Thanks, Roger.

I wonder how different the JMI would sound vs the 50th anniversary Heritage HW and the 2017 60thHW, of which the host had good things to say. Or the 2012 HW limited.
abstamaria

Full Real Name: Andres Sta. Maria

Postby roger bayliss » Sun May 28, 2023 12:04 pm

abstamaria wrote:Very interesting. Thanks, Roger.

I wonder how different the JMI would sound vs the 50th anniversary Heritage HW and the 2017 60thHW, of which the host had good things to say. Or the 2012 HW limited.

I had a VOX AC30 Heritage in mahogany and overall it had a fantastic sound and featured the EF86 channel with brilliance for the early hits. The only issue was build quality. One of the best offerings by VOX in recent years. I now own a AC15HW with a blue celestion. This too is a great sounding amp, but it is an AC15 with top boost channel and a Normal Channel with bright switch. It is a great amp. Kinda like a lighter smaller 60's AC30 to my mind.

I think the 60th anniversary AC30 and AC15 are the closest VOX has gotten to the 60's and are excellent, though quite pricey. The AC15HWX is much cheaper and not far off the mark and decent quality, though lacking tremelo and reverb.

Korg are letting the VOX brand down IMO , by neglecting the original classic amps and not doing enough to honour those amps in their lineups. Special editions aside , they fail to capitalise on the history and sound.

The modern day VOX amps also change the design of the bass and treble wiring slightly , so the mids are different to the classic circuit.. The AC15HW , Heritage series and 60th Anniversary and indeed the JMI retain the original TB design.

I regularly play through an AC15C1 and have an AC4C1 and my AC15HW sounds better and closer to the real deal.
American Pro Series Strat 2017, G&L S500 Natural Ash
roger bayliss

Full Real Name: Roger Bayliss

Postby abstamaria » Sun May 28, 2023 1:43 pm

Many thanks for the advice, Roger.

Andy
abstamaria

Full Real Name: Andres Sta. Maria

Postby dave robinson » Mon May 29, 2023 12:01 am

The wheels came off for the JMI company when Steve Giles quit after discovering discrepancies within the firm and having words with Rick. I got the full story from Steve when I tracked him down and spoke to him, after having a row with Rick over the intended purchase of a JMI AC30/4 TV front. This particular amplifier was priced in the catalogue that they had available, and when I made an attempt to order one, he jacked the price up by £1000, saying that the one quoted in the catalogue was a misprint.
I ended up buying the Australian Rod Jenks handmade version from Stuart Bailey and it's a great amp and I still have it, though I rarely use it. the only difference being mine is in a normal black cabinet. As I also own the TVS3, I came to the conclusion that these Australian guys make some excellent gear.
Harrison later got in touch to offer me the amp at an improved different price, but I told him to stick it where the Sun doesn't shine (in not so many words)
Steve Giles, went on to tell me that he knew the serial numbers of all the amplifiers that he made on that none of them were special in any way, regardless of being advertised in that manner because The Shadows had them. I did mention these 'Special' amps to Steve, as JMI were selling them on the back of the Reunion Tour putting a badge on each amp and he said that people were being ripped off. The truth is that those built by Steve Giles were excellent, but they continued making them after he quit and many had flaws due to poor workmanship.
There was also a later problem with the speakers too, because it said Tayden refused to supply them again after some clerical problems. Anyone with one of the original Steve Giles amps has a good piece of kit, though nobody really knows how many more were built by his successor. Steve had an accident some years ago and distanced himself from building any more amps and pedals.
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Return to Gear