Hank Marvin Type guitars

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Hank Marvin Type guitars

Postby George Geddes » Sat Jun 03, 2023 7:34 am

Hi Cliff B.

Biffy Clyro were pretty big a few years ago. They are a local band but at the time of the guitar release they were really big in the UK and elsewhere. I think the bass player also had a Squir Sig. model - a blue P Bass.

Happily the Signature Strat had minimal personalisation, only squiggles on the headstock.

George
George Geddes

Full Real Name: George Geddes

Postby George Geddes » Sat Jun 03, 2023 8:36 pm

As a footnote: there has been some debate as to the origin of the band's name. One theory is that one of the band had a souvenir Cliff Richard pen... a Cliffy Biro...

George
George Geddes

Full Real Name: George Geddes

Postby leddo » Sat Jun 03, 2023 10:45 pm

George Geddes wrote:Hi Cliff B.

Biffy Clyro were pretty big a few years ago. They are a local band but at the time of the guitar release they were really big in the UK and elsewhere. I think the bass player also had a Squir Sig. model - a blue P Bass.

Happily the Signature Strat had minimal personalisation, only squiggles on the headstock.

George

I think Biffy are still quite big. The Simon Neil Squier was a terrific guitar for the money but has sadly been dropped from the Squier listings.
As an aside, one of the Biffy twins worked in a guitar store in Glasgow, the old Merchant City Music or one of the Sound Countrol shops. I am sure he sold me a guitar or two. A few years ago, when they were a massive band, I was walking into a shop as he was walking out and got a big howdo, as they say in Glasgow.
Rock stars, eh? Great bunch of lads.
leddo

Full Real Name: Phil Lynch

Previous

Return to Gear