Vox AC15 Tone Controls

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Vox AC15 Tone Controls

Postby Somerset » Wed Jul 05, 2023 1:50 pm

I’ve had a Vox AC15C1X for several months but not spent much time playing with the tone controls until today. And I’ve noticed something very strange on the TOP BOOST channel and am curious to know if this is common across other Vox models.

What I discovered is that with the TREBLE full on and the TONE CUT below the 3 o’clock position there is no noticeable change in the BASS above the 10 o’clock position. This results in a very bright tone with almost no bass. The BASS control does not become active until the TREBLE is set below about the 3 o’clock position or the TONE CUT increased.
Last edited by Somerset on Thu Jul 06, 2023 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Somerset

Full Real Name: Richard Holloway

Re: Vox AC15 Tone Controls

Postby fenderplucker » Thu Jul 06, 2023 3:52 am

The bass and treble controls in the Vox top boost channel do indeed interact in a non-intuitive way. This is shown in the emulation available at http://www.duncanamps.com/tsc/index.html. While this does not include the effect of the tone cut control, you can imagine how a simple additional treble roll off will modify the response curves.

Paul.
fenderplucker

Full Real Name: Paul Rossiter

Postby Garystrat » Thu Jul 06, 2023 5:34 am

In addition to what Paul has said this video may be of help:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XC_4etXjb-c
Garystrat

Full Real Name: Gary Willmott

Postby Somerset » Thu Jul 06, 2023 3:43 pm

Thank you for your comments Paul and Gary.

The youtube video I found very interesting but sadly I don't think I can use the Duncan's Amps tone stack tool because I use a 64bit iMac and that does not seem to be a supported operating system.
Somerset

Full Real Name: Richard Holloway

Return to Gear