TC Electronic Flashback Triple delay

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: TC Electronic Flashback Triple delay

Postby roger bayliss » Sun Jan 21, 2024 12:12 am

Once you save the 3 toneprint templates, load them into the TP1-4 slots on pedal.

You then load the individual toneprint into a delay by selecting toneprint after setting delay switch to delay you are loading into.

After selecting toneprint, adjust mix and repeats and sub division switch , then press footswitch for 2 secs to save.

If you want to vary mix and repeats and re save you can , but set sub division switch appropriately.
Remember to set echo type switch to the echo type you are using as well before adjusting and saving new settings !

I have tried the EM1 3 head delays for Apache, Stranger, Mustang etc and it's very good too.

Roland mode 5 needs just 2 delays , Binson echorec 4 delays equidistant timings.
Last edited by roger bayliss on Sun Jan 21, 2024 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
American Pro Series Strat 2017, G&L S500 Natural Ash
roger bayliss

Full Real Name: Roger Bayliss

Postby roger bayliss » Sun Jan 21, 2024 12:36 am

If you want to set the echos by ear to match another echo unit tryy this

Turn echo selector to tube emulation, select echo 3 adjust mix , time and feedback to match head 4 360ms setting by ear setting sub division to quarter note. When close enough , save to echo 3 pressing footswitch for 2 secs. Repeat for other echos on echos 1 and 2.

Use sub division switch on echo 1 set to quarter + eigth notes and judge on 202ms delay time by ear.

That might help avoid the software and get a good match to say a Meazzi echo like Dave has ! And has done with Volante settings ! :D
roger bayliss

Postby dave robinson » Sun Jan 21, 2024 2:26 pm

Well as expected the TC Triple Echo arrived this morning and I immediately set it up and had a play with it.
I had the Wonderful Land echo in five minutes by using the SUBDIV control to achieve the fourth head, thanks for the heads up on that Roger. I actually used the SUBDIV for heads 2 & 3, setting 1 &4 separately with head 4 being the loudest as it should be.( at least 40% louder than the first three)
This is the classic Echomatic 2 pattern that was used for Peace Pipe, The Savage, Kon Tiki and loads of other titles, with varying amounts of level and feedback that allowed subtle differences for each tune.
When I was satisfied, having compared to the real deal from the Meazzi and TVS3, I turned my attention to the Apache (Echomatic 1) echo that has zero feedback. This patch uses only three heads 121ms, 428ms & 603ms and with added feedback from head 3 it's the same pattern for The Frightened City, Man Of Mystery, FBI, Mustang, The Stranger and a handful of others.
I set the middle head slightly lower level than the other two and it works for me.
One thing I miss on this machine is that there's no editing for modulation, Echo Drive , Wear etc which are available on the Strymon Volante, but the sound is acceptable anyway. The SUBDIV knob is the same as the SPACING on the Volante, which groups the heads at various distances apart, thus affecting the echo patterns that aficionados instantly recognise. By using these controls correctly, you can get as close as it gets to perfection if your hearing is good.
My only big disappointment is that there appears to be no storage options for my settings and you have to continually dial in the settings, which is no good for live work so I won't be keeping it.Maybe there's more in the software but I have yet to check that out.
All of that said, it does a good job on Shads stuff and I'd be happy to use it if I could store and recall all my patches. ;)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby roger bayliss » Sun Jan 21, 2024 2:56 pm

Yes I agree with the few downside matters concerning memory slots and drive Dave, but it does do the Shadows echos very well. I am happy to set mine for EM2 and vary head 4 mix and feedback for live work. If you used the old delays like Meazzi etc, you would still need to reach and fine tune on stage . This unit is discontinued, would be good if TC Electronics would reissue it with memory slots and improved features.

I have seen a video where overdrive is produced , but maybe that was a Flashback 2 delay , I forget now. Its does chorus, flanging and vibrato fir sure. I will keep mine .
roger bayliss

Postby dave robinson » Sun Jan 21, 2024 5:07 pm

I agree that the Meazzi had to be adjusted on stage during performances and it does detract from your personal performance having to make those adjustments, which is why now have everything on my Zoom G5n on the floor in front of me and foot-switches make it a seamless operation in a concert situation.
The Zoom G5n gives just as good if not better echoes as any of the Strymon/ Blue Nebula / H&C or whatever and I've proved tomes many that nobody hears the benefit of the Meazzi or TVS3 in our audiences, other than possibly me and the band, so it's a no brainer to stick with what makes the job easier and a slicker show.
I'm pleased to have tried this device and found out what it can do and there's some amazing possibilities in there if you are into all this ethereal, ambient stuff that some of the guys are into, but It isn't for me, I'm a melody person, as far removed from that 'Chords Of Orion' bloke on You Tube as I can get. He demonstrates every echo device that comes out and I've yet to be inspired as he never plays a decent tune. Then there are the distortion experts who always manage to put me off buying anything rather than inspire, but hey, we live in a modern, different world to Hank and The Shadows and we have to stand our corner and try and educate people with our skills.
I enjoy trying out new kit as I've said before and I'll keep doing it as long as I can buy with the option of returning it if I don't like or don't need it. I've tried dozens of these echo boxes and found most wanting in one way or another, which is what made me get the real deal in the TVS3 & Meazzi, I have a base from which to judge other kit, which is very useful. I recently tried the Flashback xFour I think it's called, along with half a dozen others that appeared around the same time from Fender, Catalinbread etc. That's when I got into the Strymon Volante and nobody have topped that yet, not in my opinion for our needs anyway. As a stand alone echo box, still the closest to the holy grail by a country mile. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Postby roger bayliss » Sun Jan 21, 2024 5:26 pm

Chords of Orion , now that chap really does bore me ! LOL :lol:
roger bayliss

Postby dave robinson » Mon Jan 22, 2024 7:15 pm

To reiterate what Roger has discovered and what I can confirm, the TCElectronics Triple Delay will provide excellent accurate echoes for all our Shadows music, if you take the time and have the patience to work it out. It took me five minutes to get the Wonderful Land ( Echomatic 2 ) pattern and the same for Apache ( Echomatic 1). I played around with all the variants and played with my BTs and it sounded as good as anything I've heard. Only when comparing - A/B tests would you hear the difference with the real deals.
Most would be delighted with what I got out of it.
I'm pleased that I tried it, though I didn't need it and returned it for a refund. They are not expensive at around £239 though. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Postby dakes2 » Sun Feb 04, 2024 2:04 pm

I also bought one of these but having problems trying to get it to sound right as im not the best at figuring out the right sound for each song, unlike some technical guys on this site who have a vast experience on this subject, I seem to spend more time tinkering about with this than actual playing, the problem with me is i dont like pestering people to ask questions on how to do it and i dont really find the videos are that helpful :D ,
dakes2

Full Real Name: John Dakin

Postby roger bayliss » Sun Feb 04, 2024 6:12 pm

dakes2 wrote:I also bought one of these but having problems trying to get it to sound right as im not the best at figuring out the right sound for each song, unlike some technical guys on this site who have a vast experience on this subject, I seem to spend more time tinkering about with this than actual playing, the problem with me is i dont like pestering people to ask questions on how to do it and i dont really find the videos are that helpful :D ,

If you read through this thread , there is information about how to set up , rather than repeat it again.
roger bayliss

Postby Didier » Mon Feb 05, 2024 9:42 am

dave robinson wrote:I agree that the Meazzi had to be adjusted on stage during performances.

The first time I saw The Shadows at the Paris Olympia, this must have been in late 1960 or early 1961, Hank never touched his amp or echo box during the whole concert. He used only one setting ! and the sound was fabulous !

Didier
Didier

Full Real Name: Didier Parot

PreviousNext

Return to Gear