Shadows Art D'Echo patches for Zoom?

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Shadows Art D'Echo patches for Zoom?

Postby eyemack » Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:15 am

Anyone tried these for the Zoom boxes? H'es charging £35-40 for them, so I would like to hear from someone who has tried them out!
eyemack

Full Real Name: Iain Mackenzie

Re: Shadows Art D'Echo patches for Zoom?

Postby steve57 » Mon Jan 29, 2024 1:27 pm

There is a link to demos on the listings

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8nYrm ... qAdg/about
steve57

Full Real Name: steve telford

Postby eyemack » Mon Jan 29, 2024 2:24 pm

Yes, thanks. I’ve seen that, but there only 2 or 3 out of the 30-odd in his package.
I wanted to hear from someone who has actually dealt with the guy and bought them. How do they compare with Dave Robinson’s set?
eyemack

Postby chris mcbain » Mon Jan 29, 2024 3:38 pm

Hello Iain,
This guy that's sell the Art D'Echo patches has been on Ebay for at least 10 years that i am aware of selling these patches , I have purchased two lots over the
years one for a Zoom G1xon and one for a Zoom G3x there 30 patches covering about 100 tunes, and to my ears I think they are ok one or two patches don't seem
right to my ears but since then I have had different units with Echoes from the past /shadows echoes/ shadow tappers / and Dave Robbo's / and on ever unit
to my ears there has been one or two that just didn't sound right, I suppose your level of playing may help you decide, but in the majority of members on this
site will have gone through buying and selling phase of better echoes better units and not seen a vast difference, I have now settled for Blue nebula Pedal
with about 60 echoes on does everything for me, however they say the real deal is the TV3 echo unit but that's £3000.

Chris.
chris mcbain

Full Real Name: Christopher Mcbain

Postby eyemack » Mon Jan 29, 2024 6:14 pm

Thanks. That is very helpful.
eyemack

Postby Garystrat » Mon Jan 29, 2024 11:46 pm

Personally, I would either seriously consider Dave's patches or if the budget allows have a look at the Strymon Volante, it's not a patched unit but has 8 onboard presets and there are some starter settings that Dave has posted:
https://www.strymon.net/product/volante/

Here are some demo files that Dave has done:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ws4eSHi2H2A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-huePyuD40
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiaqZ_VYHFs

I use a Volante and for me it has provided much of that elusive tone/character that I have been seeking for a long time without breaking the bank. One of the things that caught my attention was the Class A JFET analogue path prior to the advanced chip power of the digital algorithms, overall it comes together to give the feel of using a vintage unit without the hassle, it also does what it says in being a “Magnetic Echo Machine” that has the potential to cover other echo units and tape saturation effects.

Gary
Garystrat

Full Real Name: Gary Willmott

Postby chris mcbain » Tue Jan 30, 2024 2:52 pm

Hi Gary ,
I agree the Strymon Volante is a good unit for the shads sounds, but I found mine a bit of a pain adding the settings as only eight can be stored on the unit
so sold mine on and went back to my blue nebula with the patched settings, as everyone on this site knows there are many many units that can cover shads stuff
some better than others and for live gigs you would want the best sounding ones, but i think for the majority of us that just play at home most units do the job.

Chris.
chris mcbain

Full Real Name: Christopher Mcbain

Postby Garystrat » Tue Jan 30, 2024 2:58 pm

Hi Chris,

Thank you for the reply, I and several others have found that 8 presets with minor tweaking works OK for us, with MIDI of course you can have up to 300 presets!

What I like is that it's more like using a vintage echo without the hassle! LOL

Gary
Garystrat

Full Real Name: Gary Willmott

Postby dave robinson » Thu Feb 01, 2024 6:44 pm

Fact is, you only need two patches to cover 90% of the Shadow numbers to do a show, the Wonderful Land Echomatic 2 sound and the Apache Echomatic 1 sound.
It's the various levels of echo that Hank used to change mostly during shows, echo level and repeat intensity. On the Meazzi it is done with the echo volume which you'd have more of for Kon Tiki, Wonderful Land, Sleepwalk etc but you'd knock it down alot for Shadoogie, Dance On and such. Apache you would swt the feedback (regen) at zero but the same echo for Frightened City, FBI, MOM etc with feedback off the last head.
That's how I use the Volante if I choose to go ghat way. ;)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby shadphil » Fri Feb 02, 2024 12:49 pm

I've always loaded a separate patch for every song i play into my units inc my zoom g5n even though some of the songs might have the same parameters. This allows me to alter any of the individual parameters in a patch ie feedback / mix / patch volume etc. The problem with that is a lot of delay units have limited presets or none at all, but as most are midi compatible you can use a midi controller which i have used in the past allowing access up to 128 presets. I use a midi controller on my boss eq 200 as there are only 4 manual presets on that it works well.
Last edited by shadphil on Fri Feb 02, 2024 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shadphil

Full Real Name: phil denyer

Next

Return to Gear