Question about AC15 And AC30 Amps

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Question about AC15 And AC30 Amps

Postby Somerset » Tue Feb 20, 2024 4:19 pm

I believe the change to AC30 was made largely to provide greater volume when playing live. But did Hank also switch to the AC30 in the studio or did he continue to use an AC15 for recording?
Somerset

Full Real Name: Richard Holloway

Re: Question about AC15 And AC30 Amps

Postby roger bayliss » Wed Feb 21, 2024 8:04 pm

The instrumentals Apache and Quartermassters Stores were using an AC15 series 2 normal channel, then they switched to the AC15 series 3 which had a brilliant channel which cuts the bottom end emphasising the top end.

The first AC30 was essentially non top boost like the series 3 with brilliance, and by 1961 the top boost was added as a bolt on unit. Eventually the top boost was included as standard, from memory it could have been 1963 or late 62.

Audiom speakers early on then celestion blue featured around the time the top boost circuits came out I believe.

Here's a summary of the amps used in early career.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1NOTREf4xjFtk1Oh7gSXMRmkD3RVPc1PB/view?usp=drivesdk
American Pro Series Strat 2017, G&L S500 Natural Ash
roger bayliss

Full Real Name: Roger Bayliss

Postby Somerset » Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:57 pm

roger bayliss wrote:The instrumentals Apache and Quartermassters Stores were using an AC15 series 2 normal channel, then they switched to the AC15 series 3 which had a brilliant channel which cuts the bottom end emphasising the top end.

The first AC30 was essentially non top boost like the series 3 with brilliance, and by 1961 the top boost was added as a bolt on unit. Eventually the top boost was included as standard, from memory it could have been 1963 or late 62.

Audiom speakers early on then celestion blue featured around the time the top boost circuits came out I believe.

Here's a summary of the amps used in early career.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1NOTREf4xjFtk1Oh7gSXMRmkD3RVPc1PB/view?usp=drivesdk

Thank you Roger. Interesting stuff but do you know if Hank continued to use an AC15 for recording after he switched to the AC30 for live performances?
Somerset

Full Real Name: Richard Holloway

Postby roger bayliss » Thu Feb 22, 2024 9:53 pm

I think the concensus is that he did not, but I certainly wondered about it. I think once the Top Boost arrived , they would have had a more superior amp and tonal shaping, that they would not need to go back. I think with EQ added, it's possible to get very similar sounds, but many sound file posters have used the AC30TB and got the right tones, so I think they simply moved along as the amps came along. Nobody knows with absolute certainty, but the Shadows themselves.
roger bayliss

Postby Didier » Sat Feb 24, 2024 9:57 am

Here is what Hank told in the book "The Sadows by Themselves" (1961) :
"The amplifiers we use now are the Vox twin models. Theses are huge amps, very heavy to transport. I believe they are the largest and most powerful amps made in Britain.
They are almost distortion free. My own has been especially sort of souped up like a car, to give a cleaner tone at high volumes.
Bruce's amp is the same as mine, but without the extra booster, as he doesn't need it"

Didier.
Didier

Full Real Name: Didier Parot

Postby JimN » Thu Feb 29, 2024 7:13 pm

roger bayliss wrote:The first AC30 was essentially non top boost like the series 3 with brilliance, and by 1961 the top boost was added as a bolt on unit. Eventually the top boost was included as standard, from memory it could have been 1963 or late 62.

I'm sure it was later than that, Roger. the JMI price list of 1965 (I still have one) still differentiates between the AC30 Twin Normal and the AC30 Twin Top Boost.

It lists a wide range of AC30s, with the top model being... gulp...

...the AC30 Supertwin Normal II with Reverb and Top Boost, priced at over £200 (it is stated to use two speaker cabinets, though I don't know exactly what that means since I've never seen one).
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby roger bayliss » Fri Mar 01, 2024 2:03 pm

JimN wrote:
roger bayliss wrote:The first AC30 was essentially non top boost like the series 3 with brilliance, and by 1961 the top boost was added as a bolt on unit. Eventually the top boost was included as standard, from memory it could have been 1963 or late 62.

I'm sure it was later than that, Roger. the JMI price list of 1965 (I still have one) still differentiates between the AC30 Twin Normal and the AC30 Twin Top Boost.

It lists a wide range of AC30s, with the top model being... gulp...

...the AC30 Supertwin Normal II with Reverb and Top Boost, priced at over £200 (it is stated to use two speaker cabinets, though I don't know exactly what that means since I've never seen one).

You are right Jim, just checked a 1963 and 1964 AC30 pics online and 1964 models have the treble and bass controls on top panel, 1963 do not appear to have that. So I was a year out due to working from memory. Suppose its possible changes came out late 63 ?
roger bayliss

Return to Gear