Fender Classic Player 50's

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Fender Classic Player 50's

Postby Mark Burton » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:11 pm

Hi All

Just bought a nice sunburst classic player 50's strat and a bargain at £300 ;)

just one thing puzzling me ....... Position 4 on the PU selector switch has Bridge & Neck PUs rather than the traditional Neck & Middle - so the options are:

Pos 1 Brigge
Pos 2 Bridge & Middle
Pos 3 Middle
Pos 4 Neck & Bridge
Pos 5 Neck

I've checked the Fender specs and the stuff which came with the guitar and this is correct.

Am I being thick or have I missed something ????? I know 50's guitars originally had a 3 position switch (on my CS '56 I've kept the 3 position switch) so why have they chosen Neck & Bridge on this model as one of the "added" combinations ?? :? and why a 2 point trem system ??

cheers
Mark.
Mark Burton
Mark Burton

Full Real Name: Mark Burton

Re: Fender Classic Player 50's

Postby dave robinson » Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:05 pm

The features on this guitar were well advertised as improvements from the outset and is one of the reasons I bought one. I enjoy playing mine as it does just as good a job as my expensive '54 reissue Masterbuilt and USA '62 reissue. At the price it is unbeatable in my opinion. The neck and bridge selction offers something of a Telecaster sound, though not quite the same because of the mechanical differences of each instrument. Still a nice sound though. I also like the locking machine heads,which holds the guitar perfectly in tune throughout the gig. :idea:
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby Mark Burton » Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:21 pm

Dave

Have to agree - only just got it but from first impressions it's very very good.

Sunburst finish is immaculate and it plays very well - PUs are a bit brighter than the CS54's but for the price this is a great guitar ! :D

regards
Mark.
Mark Burton
Mark Burton

Full Real Name: Mark Burton

Postby AlanMcKillop » Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:53 pm

I bought one in Sunburst as well, got it for £225 from eBay and was so impressed, I got Ian Harper to respray it Fiesta Red and it's a keeper. :thumbup:
AlanMcKillop

Full Real Name: Alan McKillop

Postby RUSSET » Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:58 am

I bought my Sunburst Classic Player '50s Strat about two years ago. It cost me £360 brand new, at the time, & I had to wait 3 months to get my hands on it. They are now well over £400, which goes to show what a popular 'good buy' they are. I will never regret buying it, for it's great quality, superb finish & unique features. And ..... by the way, it sounds really good too. I liked the 'Classic player' series so much that I bought the 'Baja' Telecaster the following year. That's a different beast, of course, but also has unique features & great quality. Now, how about their version of the Jazzmaster with all the original design problems now corrected ..... hmmm ?

Tony.
RUSSET

Postby aardvarkd » Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:38 pm

The pickup selector also allows you to set the normal neck+middle position if you move it a little to the right of the 'position 4' (neck+bridge)that this guitar offers (i.e. almost to the 'middle pickup' detent). It is therefore possible to use six combinations - even better value.
aardvarkd

Return to Gear