Genuine recording question

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Genuine recording question

Postby dave robinson » Mon Mar 11, 2024 2:40 pm

Hi, can I ask a bit of advice to all of you guys that use Android/Windows based computers for your recording?
What is the cheapest and easiest way to make your own recording of a song on a modestly priced device and what app/programme do you recommend.
I have a relative who wishes to sing and record a song but struggles with his breathing and needs to record in small portions, preferably on his own.
I use Apple & Logic for my business, and I know about that, but have lost touch with the Cubase side of the business if you get my drift, so I'm looking for ideas to give him and what to get to do the job. Thanks in advance for any useful tips. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Re: Genuine recording question

Postby Teflon » Mon Mar 11, 2024 3:16 pm

Probably the easiest and cheapest route on Windows would be Audacity. It's free, and fairly straightforward to use. It does multi tracking, but possibly lacks some of the "bells & whistles" of Cubase etc, but it's all the more simple to use as a result. They will need an audio interface to connect to the pc though.

Hope this helps,

Cliff
Teflon

Full Real Name: Cliff Bradley

Postby dave robinson » Mon Mar 11, 2024 5:02 pm

Ok Cliff thanks for that, can you recommend a decent budget interface, I have a couple laying around in a drawer somewhere, I'll check them out.
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Postby dave robinson » Mon Mar 11, 2024 5:26 pm

Yes indeed I had a quick look and there's an Apogee Duet and an Alesis iMix 8 doing nothing, I guess either of those would do the job?
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Postby Teflon » Mon Mar 11, 2024 5:57 pm

Should do I would think. I must confess, I tend to use built in interface on my Zoom G3X.

Cliff
Teflon

Full Real Name: Cliff Bradley

Postby RogerCook » Mon Mar 11, 2024 6:08 pm

I use a pc and Reaper for my DAW and a cheap Behringer UMC202HD interface. Reaper is free in its evaluation mode (but if you don't pay for it the welcome screen hangs longer and longer). The interface is ok for a budget device with 2 instrument or mic inputs, 48v phantom, and usb connection to pc.
RogerCook

Full Real Name: Roger Cook

Postby Garystrat » Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:38 pm

Hi Dave,

I used to use an Apogee Duet on my Mac, but I swapped it out some years ago a Focusrite Clarette Pre 2 Pre, which is not only cheaper but has an extremely good specifications that compete with far more expensive units!

For this purpose I suggest you look at the Focusrite Scarlett Solo and Ableton Intro DAW:

https://focusrite.com/scarlett

https://www.ableton.com/en/live/compare-editions/

https://www.ableton.com/en/shop/live/

Ableton have just released the new version 12 Intro, it's pretty easy to learn with two built in help systems covering setup, recording. and hover over function information, it's priced at £69.00.

Regards

Gary
Garystrat

Full Real Name: Gary Willmott

Postby dave robinson » Mon Mar 11, 2024 8:19 pm

Thanks for those suggestions, I use Focusrite with my Mac computers, I have a Scarlett and the larger Saffire, but I was looking at something I could lend him without disturbing my own system. I have the Apogee and Alesis spare. ;)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Postby Garystrat » Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:48 pm

The Apogee won't do it as it's Mac only, my original one was Firewire and although I got a Firewire to USB converter the drivers didn't support it properly and it was really sucking tone!

I wondered if you might have a small mixer with a USB out that may do the job?
Garystrat

Full Real Name: Gary Willmott

Postby dave robinson » Tue Mar 12, 2024 2:01 am

Thanks for the heads up Gary, I wasn't aware that Apogee was Mac only.
I have a couple more bits and pieces stashed away that I'm sure would work, I need to have a look in my studio is some boxes, there's loads of stuff buried from days gone by :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Next

Return to Gear