AMP MAKER DiY amps

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

AMP MAKER DiY amps

Postby Graylion » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:07 pm

Has anyone had a go at building one of these? (see http://www.ampmaker.com/). I fancy trying the SE5a (5watts Class 'A') 'cos it has a decent amount of controls and is not too bad a price. After all, due to the peculiarities of the logarithmic properties of sound, it's only half the 'volume' of a 50 watt amp! I understand they are generally all Marshall "voiced". 1xEL84 and 1xECC833 so what mods might be necessary to "Vox" them out?

The circuit diagrams are there for people who understand those things - which is not me! I've always fancied "getting my hands dirty" building my own amp.(more likely getting my fingers burnt with the soldering iron!) Seriously though, I know my way around a hammer and chisel and there's nothing you can't do with an SDS Plus drill! :lol:
Graylion

Re: AMP MAKER DiY amps

Postby Didier » Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:46 pm

If you are rerally looking for a Vox sound, better get yourself a Vox AC4TV which can be found for around £180 !
Unless your main goal is to play with a soldering iron...
In any case, don't expect enough volume to gig with a 4 or 5 W amp. It's for practice only.

Didier
Didier

Full Real Name: Didier Parot

Postby Graylion » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:58 pm

Thanks Didier. As you now know, I had a bit of a mad moment today and bought an AC15TV Heritage! I'll probably hold back on a DiY amp for a while, even though I'd love to have a crack at getting the soldering iron hot and dirty! Cheers, Lionel
Graylion

Postby Didier » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:18 pm

Graylion wrote:Thanks Didier. As you now know, I had a bit of a mad moment today and bought an AC15TV Heritage! I'll probably hold back on a DiY amp for a while, even though I'd love to have a crack at getting the soldering iron hot and dirty! Cheers, Lionel

The good new is that you will not burn yourself with a soldering iron, the bad new is for your bank account ! ;)

Didier
Didier

Full Real Name: Didier Parot

Return to Gear