Vintage style synchronized tremolo

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Vintage style synchronized tremolo

Postby dagon1 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:48 pm

Bill Bowley wrote:I had a look at the the Squier 'Classic Vibe' - looks good, perhaps a 'rebranded' Mex Fender in reality? ;)

Don't mean to offend you or hurt your feelings - but it looks exactly like the one your logo is displaying!!
:) :) ;)

But of course, Beauty is is in the eye of the beholder........ :lol: :lol:
dagon1

Postby dagon1 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:20 am

George Lewis wrote:Hi Reggie (and heads up Bill, time to do some more window shopping),
I have a Fender Mex Strat (pre 2004), Jap Squire (57-62 pups), a Partscaster (with Tonerider vintage pups) and a new Squire Classic vibe.
Changed the pot metal block on the Classic vibe which is EXACTLY the same as the Fender Mex, for an old Callaham SS block (asked Bill Callaham for the new Delrin inserts which he supplied free of charge). Added a little grub screw and no probs with arm play.
The finish on the Squire is first class and quite frankly apart from the standard bridge pup tone mod, it's hard to be bothered to do anything else to it.

Cheers
George

Hi George,
Meant to get back to you earlier. Is your model Classic Vibe 50s with 5 springs tremolo? :?:
dagon1

Postby Bill Bowley » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:25 am

dagon1 wrote:
Bill Bowley wrote:I had a look at the the Squier 'Classic Vibe' - looks good, perhaps a 'rebranded' Mex Fender in reality? ;)

Don't mean to offend you or hurt your feelings - but it looks exactly like the one your logo is displaying!!
:) :) ;)

But of course, Beauty is is in the eye of the beholder........ :lol: :lol:

Reggie,

So, you have a good eye for guitars then? Mmmm - the one in my logo is a Callaham hand made custom Strat. :roll:
Bill Bowley

Postby Bill Bowley » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:34 am

panchodiaz wrote:Hi Bill,

All my guitars have Callaham bridges but I bought a block from that guy in UK and I can say it seems to have the same quality as the Callaham´s ones. I think it is cold rolled steel IMO.

G'Day Pancho!

I should have read his item description properly - he says:

MADE FROM B.D.M.S-BRIGHT[COLD FINISH] DRAWN MILD STEEL. THIS IS REFERED TO AS 1018 COLD ROLLED STEEL IN THE USA

THE SAME STEEL PRE CBS STRATS AND CALLAHAM BLOCKS ARE MADE FROM

So there it is!
Regards
Bill Bowley

Postby George Lewis » Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:44 am

Hi All,
Bill, I left the Squier CV arm in the box and used a short SS trem arm originally supplied by Bill Callaham with his block which he assured me at the time would be a "zero" fit with no play. Compared to the std trems and for normal "dive bomb" type modern trem use it is a big improvement. However, I found after a fairly short break-in and for fine use it needed to be screwed up too tight for my liking, so added the teflon tape mod. This was about 2006 and "following representations" .. (not just from me), shortly after that Bill modified his blocks to use a short section of thread at the bottom then a "zero" fit Delrin insert with a special trem arm that has a very short threaded section and is a semi push fit into the block.
Last year (4 yrs after purchase that's customer service !) on my request he sent me free of charge several of the Delrin bushes so I could drill out the existing block and modify it to use the bush. However with the SS arm (probably because no chrome plating makes it slightly smaller) there was still a tiny amount of play.
In the meantime, I discovered the Wilkinson complete bridge/trem units manufactured under license in "Asia" and representing the best value money can buy if you regard the gold plating wearing off after 6 mths as "accelerated relic-ing". Fortunately it doesn't affect the sound and looks kinda cool as they say.
It has a push-in arm with plastic zero fit bush and just to make sure, a small grub screw that pushes against the bush and can be adjusted to any degree of play you want. Simple and foolproof. It has a Steel (probably slightly warm rolled) block, bridge with 6 holes (5 are elongated) that fits both vintage and narrow bridge spacing (and all the Asian variations in between) and I think they cost me about $50.
I use them on both the Jap Squier and the PartsCaster.

Hi Reggie,
If you decide to use Callaham (and there is no better quality or backup) just buy from him direct. Good price and fast simple delivery.
On the other hand there are much cheaper alternatives to try. And. as Bill says who can really tell the difference.

Cheers
George
George Lewis

Postby dagon1 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:43 am

George Lewis wrote:In the meantime, I discovered the Wilkinson complete bridge/trem units manufactured under license in "Asia" and representing the best value money can buy if you regard the gold plating wearing off after 6 mths as "accelerated relic-ing". Fortunately it doesn't affect the sound and looks kinda cool as they say.
It has a push-in arm with plastic zero fit bush and just to make sure, a small grub screw that pushes against the bush and can be adjusted to any degree of play you want. Simple and foolproof. It has a Steel (probably slightly warm rolled) block, bridge with 6 holes (5 are elongated) that fits both vintage and narrow bridge spacing (and all the Asian variations in between) and I think they cost me about $50.
Hi Reggie,
If you decide to use Callaham (and there is no better quality or backup) just buy from him direct. Good price and fast simple delivery.
On the other hand there are much cheaper alternatives to try. And. as Bill says who can really tell the difference.
Cheers
George

Hi George,
My guitar shop also recommended the Wilkinson bridge which sounds very much like the one you're referring to. I've decided to give that a go and will keep you posted on the outcome.
BTW It was a very robust and informative discussion you all have contributed and I'm greatly appreciative of all the comments which were very educating and entertaining too. Thanks heaps! :) :)
dagon1

Postby George Lewis » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:13 pm

Hi Reggie,
Sorry just realised I forgot to answer your query re springs. The trem block is the normal 5 spring type but I only use 3 springs usually in the "W" configuration. On the PartsCaster I prefer the feel of 3 springs with straight configuration. Not sure why there is a difference, perhaps the springs themselves are a different tension. Any more than 3 is just too stiff for how I use it. 2 springs makes it too sensitive and absorbs most of a string bend before you get the pitch change. Just a question of finding the right setup for your playing requirements, same as with string action.
cheers
George
George Lewis

Postby Bill Bowley » Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:00 pm

Just bought one of those blocks from Kev in UK that were on EBay - looking forward to trying it out on a '57 RI Strat I have spare. :roll:
Bill Bowley

Postby dagon1 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:57 am

George Lewis wrote:Hi All,

In the meantime, I discovered the Wilkinson complete bridge/trem units manufactured under license in "Asia" and representing the best value money can buy if you regard the gold plating wearing off after 6 mths as "accelerated relic-ing". Fortunately it doesn't affect the sound and looks kinda cool as they say.
Cheers
George

Hi George,
I just collected my guitar fitted with the Wilkinson system and I am very pleased with the upgrade. Action is silky smooth and there is a definite improvement in TONE and SUSTAIN. No tuning problems so far and the aesthetics are also better than the stock bridge. There are 3 tremolo springs in 'W' formation and the push-in tremolo arm stays put.
:) :) :) :)
Reg
Last edited by dagon1 on Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
dagon1

Postby ecca » Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:20 pm

I put a Wilkinson V100 trem on the strat I put together and it's fantastic. I love it.
Stays in tune whatever dips and dives I throw at it.
Push in arm, adjustable.
Money well spent.
ecca

PreviousNext

Return to Gear