90's MARSHALL RED VOX AC30 (BLUE SPEAKERS)

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

90's MARSHALL RED VOX AC30 (BLUE SPEAKERS)

Postby Geoff Alderton LH » Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:52 pm

Hi all.
Just taking Dereks post3 from the Vox AC30 vintage versus modern thread, I too bought a red AC30in the 90's and still have it. It is I believe one of fifteen built by Marshall, five for the UK with the other ten for overseas. I bought mine in Tom Lee's music Hong Kong.
I took the amp down to Potter's Bar in, I think, July 2005 to be used by all the act's appearing in the show. Collin PJ set the amp up and used it for the Rapier's set, Bruce pluged in for a couple of numbers and I think most of the artists/guitarists appearing on the show went through the Red Vox. I spoke to several of them and asked if they were happy with the Vox and got various replies from It has a nice warm sound, just like the old ones, to it's ok it's a Vox. From an audience point of view I thought it sounded very good. I dont have a modern AC30 or a vintage AC30 but the one I do have, built by Marshall , is I believe a very good sounding amp and as pointed out in the vintage versus modern thread Vox AC30's have to be tweaked/ set up by someone who knows what they are doing and it's not every one who can do this.
Regards Geoff.
Geoff Alderton LH

Re: 90's MARSHALL RED VOX AC30 (BLUE SPEAKERS)

Postby flingelbunt » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:43 pm

I just stumbled across this thread, and I was one of the guitarists who used that amp!! I was playing lead guitar with my band 'Bungleflint', and boy, was that amp loud!! We did a totally Burns set, kicking off with 'It's a Mans World', which sounded just like a Burns should sound!! I actually thought that the amp was an older unit- really great sound!!

Maurice :)
flingelbunt

Postby Geoff Alderton LH » Sat Mar 20, 2010 4:36 pm

Hi Maurice.
Yes, it is a loud amp, as the wife keeps telling me, but it has to be 'tweaked' to get the right sound. You obviously have the knack and got the sound you wanted. I do think the venue has something to do with the sound produced and the final 'tweak' at the venue is ,I think, the difference between an ordinary Vox AC30 sound and a great Vox AC30 sound. Good to hear you were pleased with and remembered the amp.
Regards Geoff.
Geoff Alderton LH

Postby RayL » Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:30 pm

Hi Geoff

Regarding the 'Wayne & Jackie Benefit' at the Wyllyotts, for the credits of the video recording Colin gave me a list of all the names. 'Mark Alderton / Laurel Jones' are listed as 'Technical Managers'. Is that yourself using another of your first names, or maybe your son? As it turned out, the DVD of the event could not be issued but if it had, the name would have been there!

Ray L
RayL

Full Real Name: Ray Liffen

Postby Geoff Alderton LH » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:13 pm

Hello Ray,
Collin gave you the correct names. Mark, my son, and Laurel were responsible for the setting up and technical side of the gig. I myself just happened to have some gear they wanted to borrow, isnt that what dads and friends are for, and quite gladly let them have anything I had that could be used for the gig.
Regards Geoff.
Geoff Alderton LH

Return to Gear