Swell/Volume Pedal

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Swell/Volume Pedal

Postby noelford » Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:41 pm

Dave, it's interesting that you mention Dave Berry's 'The Crying Game', because that was precisely the reason I bought my DeArmond back in the sixties. At the moment I'm struggling to work the Fender quickly enough to play that particular song. I can play it fine with the Burns pedal but the result is just not the same.
noelford

Postby noelford » Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:18 pm

Incidentally, given that some pedals, particularly of this type, can degrade the signal, I purchased a true bypass unit, which works perfectly, from this guy:
tjonions@btinternet.com
noelford

Postby dave robinson » Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:35 pm

The other pedals don't have the same components that gave the DeArmond it's unique tone sweep, Roberto once explained it to me, something to do with the values of the pots. If I remember correctly, Jim Nugent can clarify this, as we have discussed it together in the past. :idea:
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby JimN » Sun Mar 21, 2010 3:19 pm

cockroach wrote:Dave,
Speaking of UK users of the DeArmond foot pedal in the '60's, I have some video footage of Joe Brown and the Bruvvers playing 'It only took a minute' live on 'Crackerjack' in 1962- and Joe is using a volume pedal on the guitar solo using his old Gibson 335- getting a sort of steel guitar effect on this country flavoured hit tune. He must have been an early user, even before Big Jim- who I think did the Dave Berry solo in about , what- 1964 or 1965? ...although I wouldn't be surprised if dear old Bert Weedon may have used a Dearmond pedal or similar before them?

Joe was using the DeArmond 610 tone and volume pedal on that performance. You can see him swivel his foot on the pedal to move from bass to treble.

Big Jim was certainly using the pedal even before Joe, though - it's used on the Krewkats' version of Samovar (1961).

JN
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby RayL » Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:48 pm

Hi Jim

What month in 1961? In June/July '61 Big Jim was doing a session for Joe Meek at 304 and he used his DeArmond for the fiery guitar solo on Michael Cox's Sweet Little Sixteen. It was issued on HMV in August and although it made no impression on the UK charts it was a hit in Sweden.

Ray
RayL

Full Real Name: Ray Liffen

Postby JimN » Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:53 pm

Ray,

According to this website...

http://www.btinternet.com/~shadows_archive/shadows/BrianB/PreShads.htm

...the Krewkats' version of Samovar was released in June 1961, which makes a likely recording date around April that year.

The record can be heard at:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Fip0QWX_aI

HTH,

JN
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby RayL » Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:31 pm

Jim,

Yes, the same website page also mentions the Michael Cox session. As has been discussed before, the earliest that most UK guitarists would have heard a DeArmond in use would have been on Chet Atkins' 1959Teensville album. How long after that before Big Jim got his 610?

Ray
RayL

Full Real Name: Ray Liffen

Postby cockroach » Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:41 pm

Sorry folks- I forgot Jim's earlier Krew Kats recordings!

Either way, it was a great sound. I once had an old Maestro fuzz/wah pedal which also operated as a volume control when the fuzz and wah wah were turned off.

Don't use any pedals meself- and Jeff Beck gets by with his hands mostly!!
cockroach

Full Real Name: john cochrane

Postby ecca » Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:11 pm

Too right cockroach...... don't need no pedal.
Watch your knob don't drop off though.
ecca

Postby cockroach » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:15 pm

Could happen ecca, .....but not caused by violining :twisted:
cockroach

Full Real Name: john cochrane

PreviousNext

Return to Gear