VOX AC30 VR

For anything to do with guitars, amps, effects units and any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

VOX AC30 VR

Postby MoonCat » Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:10 pm

Hello shadsfriends! Just got a new a AC30 VR as a spare. Anyone out there with one simular? Any experience with the sound?
Brgds
EvenT
MoonCat

Re: VOX AC30 VR

Postby Martyn » Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:23 pm

I'd really be interested to know how it sounds and if it's loud enough for gigging.
Regards,
Martyn
Martyn

Full Real Name: Martyn Welch

Postby MoonCat » Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:47 pm

Anyone out there with some advice---
EvenT
MoonCat

Postby MoonCat » Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:10 am

Is it strange that no one have tried this amp?
EvenT
MoonCat

Postby Twangaway » Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:10 pm

To be fair, I think the amp is too new to have won friends. Everyone here am sure has already got a decent amp of sorts after the peaking of interest in getting half close to " that sound ". So unlike guitars there aren't many that would rush out and buy a new amp every 6 months.

It sounds like an economy budget AC30 style amp, and probably a stripped down jnr version of the Valvetronix AD120, but because it has the size and look of an AC30 and twin speakers will probably win many fans such as students but not the old buggers around here struggling to pickup a kettle full of water once boiled :) even then with a shaking hand and water all over the place. Why not give us a detailed rundown on how you find it and with some recorded sound files.

David
Twangaway

Postby dave robinson » Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:59 pm

I agree, it is a new amp and most of us have had the correct amps for a few years now (AC30/4 - Vox Heritage etc - Vox with Roger Alcock Vintage Unit) that deliver the sound perfectly. That said I would be always be interested in an opinion of someone who owns one of the VR amps, as there are none in the local shops to try. :idea:
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby roger bayliss » Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:24 pm

It does not seem to be a modelling amp which is what the AD120VT was and which I owned and they were very good. This amp seems to have a seperate overdrive channel which may not be good for the old Shads sounds really and the clean channel is described as 'Normal' so I suspect it is neither ef86 or Top Boost territory which of course is what we normally go looking for when searching for 'that sound' so whilst I have not heard one first hand I suspect it will not deliver the best AC30 sounds for this kinda work however as an amp overall it looks quite capable and suitable for the more modern stuff and the blues maybe.. I think the AD120VT had more tones on offer personally and I am suprised that although touted as Valve Reactor technology there is no modelling on board. Just my thoughts and opinions. :!:
American Pro Series Strat 2017, G&L S500 Natural Ash
roger bayliss

Full Real Name: Roger Bayliss

Postby Twangaway » Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:35 pm

Hi, I am not surprised at all by the omission of modelling as it is designed to a price for an identified market. It will still score favorably with the student bands, and it's price is quite affordable for most people. It's all about bangs per buck, and that is probably where it scores especially those that cannot afford a real valve amp. Most guys have zoom pedals and boss pedals with modelling, so deleting it off the amp to keep the cost down was the way to go. I see the VR15 being extremely tempting for some as a prelude to maybe a later purchase of the valve version. Perhaps this is the amplifier we all should be looking at, maybe as a direct alternative to the heritage or AC15 type amps.

I have tried the AD120VT and must say first impressions were good, but after prolonged use, the modelling and compression algorithms gave me ear fatigue, a feeling of musical claustrophobia and a need to escape from it's un natural sound. When I went to the valve amp immediately afterwards it was like a breath of fresh air hearing the harmonic tones with natural decay in the sound and clarity like the sound of real breaking glass. Just my impression
Twangaway

Postby RUSSET » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:41 am

The new Vox AC15VR & AC30VR are both reviewed in the May edition of 'Guitarist'. They are, apparently, Chinese-made Hybrid amps, with a single 12AX7 valve based 'Valve-Reactor' power section. So,they seem to be like the Valvetronix series, but with two channels, Clean & Overdrive, no amp-modelling section & just a Tone-cut & Reverb. Guitarist says that compared to the new AC Custom series that was reviewed the previous month, they are a different beast. They are £305 & £469 RRP respectively & are AC amps in look only. They get 3 stars out of 5 in the Guitarist rating table. I guess that they may well be adequate amps for the price, but not exactly the 'Tone machines' that most guys on this site are looking for.

Tony.
RUSSET

Postby Twangaway » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:50 am

So my impression was right. and that it was essentially the guts of a valvetronix using that one valve like in the tone lab. It's more of a throw back to the Vox Cambridge amps of the 90's but in VOX AC30 lookalike and sized cab. Yes a budget model through and through for Intermediary use. As soon as I saw one I sussed it out :) hence my post. Would not put me off buying one even if just to have that VOX Badge and Cab stand out on stage :) Who knows or care what the musician is really using because you will get the sound sorted with pedal regardless, right ? So should be a winner for wannabee rock stars wanting retro to go with their road worn fenders.

hmmm, wonder if I should buy a load, trash the vinyl and add scuff marks and sell as roadworn AC30's :)
Twangaway

Next

Return to Gear