VOX AC30 VR

For anything to do with guitars, amps, effects units and any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: VOX AC30 VR

Postby dave robinson » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:20 am

Twangaway wrote:So my impression was right. and that it was essentially the guts of a valvetronix using that one valve like in the tone lab. It's more of a throw back to the Vox Cambridge amps of the 90's but in VOX AC30 lookalike and sized cab. :)

According to the blurb, that info isn't quite correct - here's some info from an advert for one of these amps on Ebay . . . . read on . .

'Instead of using the 12AX7 in the pre amp stage, they have used it in the power amp side in conjunction with a pure clean transistor amp, this gives you 2 big differences. Firstly the valve sound is far more accurate than anything before it and secondly the volume is now equal to the real valve amp, so a 30watt delivers the power you get from an all valve AC30, and that is plenty loud enough for gigging'.
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby dave robinson » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:42 am

I have just this minute located each of these VR models at a local store, so I'm off to give them a spin. :D
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Postby dave robinson » Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:38 pm

I have just returned from a visit to Rockem Music (01709 382 220) in Rotherham where I tried out the Vox AC30 VR.

The amp is a normal size 2 x 12 similar to the real thing and has the same livery that we all know and love - it even smells the same . . .
The top panel has a single input, but with two seperate channels, one being the clean channel with a volume, treble and bass controls, whilst the other has gain and volume pots so that it can be overdriven along with treble, middle and bass controls. On this channel there's also a swicth that when depressed allows twice as much gain, but it isn't something that I imagine we would use. There's a master volume, reverb volume and overall 'cut' control as well.

I plugged my Magicstomp into the normal channel and quickly found that the amp delivered the classic Vox sound that we are familiar with, the tone controls giving anything from the old AC30 Treble sound to the Vox AC30 Top Boost. Volume seemed plenty so it should gig with a band OK.

I then tried the next channel which is designed for dirtier sounds, but with careful use of the gain an tone controls managed to get pleasing 'Hank' tones without any problems. On the normal channel particularly, I noticed a lovely slightly 'compressed feel whilst playing, which valve amps always seem to have, I liked that alot.

I would point out that this amp is nothing like the Valvetronix in the way the top panel works (I do have a Valvetronix VT30 and have owned the more expensive 120) and I found it to be an excellent piece of kit - especially at only £399.00. Given the opportunity, I wouldn't hesitate to use it on one of our gigs.
I hope this is of help to someone.
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Postby Amanda » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:09 pm

Hi,

Gren (The Original Hankie) had or has a VR30 (not an AC30VR)
and the sound was good as Dave has said.

I would Imagine that the AC30VR is a Re-hashed version of the 30VR!

Amanda
[Check Out My Meazzi Site: http://www.meazzi.org.uk
And Tape Echo Forum: http://ac15.org.uk/meazzibbs/index.php

You're Never Alone With A Mitzi!
Amanda

Full Real Name: Amanda Hambidge

Postby noelford » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:10 pm

Dave, thanks for that very helpful report. I have to ask one question: In your experience of both amps, what would be the advantage, if any, of the 'real deal' AC30 over the AC30 VR?
noelford

Postby Twangaway » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:53 pm

Thanks for the effort Dave, it does suggest a lookalike soundalike VOX AC30 ccpicat type of amp, but surely the proof of the pudding is enough guys here using it and then it should take off and then force down the price of the AC30CC types which I fancied but cannot afford. I must admit am wary of hybrid amps other than practice use.

It may be worth someone like Amanda giving us her thoughts on the valve change of direction from earlier VoX valve preamp thinking and technicalities as you lost me on all that. :)
Twangaway

Postby dave robinson » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:56 am

Noel, that's not an easy question to answer at least until I have heard it in a live gig situation, but what I guarantee is that the Vox tone is there and I would love the chance to get it on stage and see if it delivers the required power over the band.

I know where you are coming from Dave, it does appear to be as you first thought, but I was curious and I'm pleased to have found one locally to try out, only to be pleasantly surprised.
The AC15 version had been sold, but Mark who is the guitar salesman at this shop, assured me that the sound tonewise, is identical to the AC30 which is what matters.
There is a demo on You Tube with Mark showing it off, but he's into a different style of music to us - he tells me that if I dial in Vox VR, then I will witness his demo, I'll have a look before I go to bed. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Postby Amanda » Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:16 pm

Hi David (Twangaway)

I've got a diagram somewhere for the VR30 I'll dig it out and
look at it and work out how it works and pass it on!

Amanda
[Check Out My Meazzi Site: http://www.meazzi.org.uk
And Tape Echo Forum: http://ac15.org.uk/meazzibbs/index.php

You're Never Alone With A Mitzi!
Amanda

Full Real Name: Amanda Hambidge

Postby MoonCat » Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:36 pm

Dear Dave! Thanks for your answer,it helped me a lot.I use to gig with a AC 30 from the late 80-ties, and I'm happy for the sound Of th VR.Best regards EvenT
MoonCat

Postby Twangaway » Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:43 pm

Good one Amanda. Might have a look at the VR15 model.
Twangaway

PreviousNext

Return to Gear