CUSTOM SHOP

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, Iain Purdon, George Geddes, JimN, dave robinson

Re: CUSTOM SHOP

Postby Bojan » 13 May 2010, 10:27

David Martin wrote:The problem with "Strats" made by people other than Fender is simply, that if you want a good guitar cheaper, then there are a number of alternative routes to go down. And what you finish up with is a good guitar. But it isn't a Custom Shop Masterbuilt Stratocaster... just a good guitar.

But if "the real thing" is what you have always wanted, then that's not the real thing...

You are right, of course David, but I don't see that as a problem, but rather as a choice. ;)
Bojan

Postby chippy71 » 13 May 2010, 11:04

Well i hope to start building my own strat soon, but finding a birdseye maple neck with 22 frets is a challenge, its hard enough in just trying to find birds eye maple timber!

neil
chippy71

Postby John Boyd » 13 May 2010, 11:22

Hello Neill,
Check out this link for some very tasty necks made to your specs..
I bought a maple '57 style and it's very well made.
They do some great birdseye and flame necks too.

https://www.musikraft.com/

Hope this helps.
Cheers,
JB
John Boyd

Postby cockroach » 13 May 2010, 15:07

If it absolutely HAS to say FENDER on the headstock to be the real thing, how come Hank and Bruce have often effectively used hand built custom copies with Fender decals?

I'm up on my soapbox again...!!

I've seen, played and owned a few Strat design type guitars that were far better quality, consistency and materials etc than a USA built Fender. and they were often cheaper new or used just because they weren't 'real' Fenders.

OK, I'm a bit parsimonious these days, due to finances, and I currently use stuff I can afford and pay for with gig earnings- such as a Chinese Squier Affinity Tele- which is possibly not as well made, or materials wise or well equipped hardware wise as a USA 'genuine' Tele- but a genuine USA Tele costs about 10 times the Squier price...and what I have is not that much inferior soundwise or in playing action, feel etc. Same with the Chinese Squier Bullet Strat I had previously.

In my opinion, stuff like Carvins and Godins, let alone many other brands and luthier built specials, often leave most Fender stuff way behind in quality, finish etc- and at the prices charged for Fender Custom Shop models they damn well should be good...!

It is called badge engineering with cars- you often pay much more for essentially the same thing with extras- but people still buy 'em- those marketing guys are probably worth their high salaries, as they understand the buyers and human nature!
cockroach

Previous

Return to Gear