60's Vox Ac30 bass amp??

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

60's Vox Ac30 bass amp??

Postby Chriz » Thu May 06, 2010 10:25 pm

Hi :)
I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on this amp and perhaps give me a general idea of its value??
I played through a work colleagues AC30B this eve!! He, aquired it in 1970 and says it was a few years old then,! It is a JMI 6 input Grey panel amp with plastic vents! it has two labelled vox silver/grey speakers and brown grill cloth.
The amp appears to be totally standard and in fab condition (no tears to cloth or vinyl) However I noticed two problems when playing it
1. the footswitch and tremolo effects dont work(but the input does)
2. a crackly tone pot when at its furthermost position
Im guessing it is a later 60's amp! Could anyone furnish me with any additional info and perhaps give me an indication of its worth??

Any assistant most gratefull :D

regards Chris
Chriz

Re: 60's Vox Ac30 bass amp??

Postby des mcneill » Fri May 07, 2010 12:34 am

Hi Chris,
What makes you think this is a bass amp? The bass amps usually had "blue " speakers and I am not sure if they were still made later sixties. Can you see if it has a large rectifier valve? Also,is it top boost? At face value it sounds more like a TB standard late sixies but need some things confirmed to be sure.
Des.
des mcneill

Full Real Name: des mcneill

Postby Chriz » Fri May 07, 2010 12:58 am

Hi Des :)

Thanks for your reply!! I think its a bass model because the code on the jmi back panel says ac30B which I think stands for bass?? I'm lead to believe that vox made 3 versions of the non top boost Ac30: B=bass, N=Normal, T= treble! Apparently there are only minimal differences between all three models (capacitor values slightly different) :roll: Im fairly sure it hasn't got top boost as it only has 3 volume pots (one for each pair of inputs) 2 tremolo controls and a master tone switch! And my vox ac15cc1 has extra bass, treble and volume pots on the top boost channel! I have had no previous experience with vintage vox AC30's and this info is only what I have sourced off the net :oops:

regards Chris
Chriz

Postby des mcneill » Fri May 07, 2010 1:39 am

Hi Chris,
You are right about the three amps,I have all three,copper panelled. It is obviously not a top boost and I would assume it has the rectifier valve but would like it confirmed.It is very easy to convert to standard if you wish but there is not a huge tone difference. The tremolo problem should be easy to fix,first check if the switch is actually working and likewise the tone pot could be replaced but first try switch cleaner. I would amend my estimate to possibly 65-66,but can only be a guess without actually seeing the amp,a lot of things can happen over 45 years. Couldn't estimate value but would be worth having.
Des.
des mcneill

Full Real Name: des mcneill

Postby JimN » Fri May 07, 2010 12:59 pm

The last time that any Vox AC30 without top-boost appeared in the price-lists was in 1966.

After that, and starting with the blue and white Vox Sound Limited price-list of 1967, only the AC30 Top-Boost was listed, along with the AC50. All the other amps offered were solid-state. The AC4, AC10, AC15 and AC100 had been discontinued (along with all the other versions of the AC30).

Hope this helps.

JN

PS: I should add that the grey panel and the silver speakers put that amp at the very end of the period of production for the AC30N, AC30T or AC30B. So probably 1966.
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby Chriz » Fri May 07, 2010 5:12 pm

Hi Jim :)

Thanks so much for your assistance!! I think we have more or less decided on it being a 66 model :D
If i were to get a serial number is there anywhere I can get a definate date :?:

regards Chris
Chriz

Postby ecca » Fri May 07, 2010 7:08 pm

Can't you take the back off and get some photos ?
ecca

Postby JimN » Fri May 07, 2010 7:32 pm

Chriz wrote:I think we have more or less decided on it being a 66 model :D If i were to get a serial number is there anywhere I can get a definate date :?:
regards Chris

The serial numbers might be in Jim Elyea's "Vox Amps, the JMI Years" book.

What is the serial?

JN
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby Didier » Fri May 07, 2010 8:35 pm

JimN wrote:
Chriz wrote:I think we have more or less decided on it being a 66 model :D If i were to get a serial number is there anywhere I can get a definate date :?:
regards Chris

The serial numbers might be in Jim Elyea's "Vox Amps, the JMI Years" book.

Have a look here : http://www.4shared.com/photo/Q6TrCJi1/V ... s_JMI.html

Didier
Didier

Full Real Name: Didier Parot

Postby dave robinson » Fri May 07, 2010 10:42 pm

I recently sold a grey panel non Top Boost AC30/6 with silver speakers - it was a 1964 model. :idea:
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Next

Return to Gear