Fact or Fiction ?

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Fact or Fiction ?

Postby Gary Allen » Wed May 26, 2010 4:06 pm

About 10 yrs ago while driving a taxi I came across a guy who was on holidays here in Dublin.I had a cd playing (one of Hanks solo ones)..He asked if it was the shadows to which I replied No...just Hank. He then went on to tell me that he worked for them for about 3 years.The journey took about 40mins and he told me some stories and possible facts.Im sure others here will know if they re fact/fiction..so here goes......sand was put in jets bass amp for a heavier sound???They drove scooters???Hank favoured the bass model ac30 in the studio???also played 3 tracks on the young ones(studio version)...considered going solo early 60s???did nt like giving autographs???? He also said jet liked chicken wings??....maybe someone can confirm these or better still the guy in question is a member here..I dont remember his name but he did say his father was well known and something to do with the music business and that he sat in on sessions and some of those were through the night...Gary
Gary Allen

Full Real Name: Gary Allen

Re: Fact or Fiction ?

Postby JimN » Wed May 26, 2010 4:25 pm

sand was put in jets bass amp for a heavier sound???

That is known to be true.

They drove scooters???

That too is known to be true.

Hank favoured the bass model ac30 in the studio???

Certainly true in the mid-1970s. Unlikely to be true for the 1960s (indeed, there is evidence for the opposite).

also played 3 tracks on the young ones(studio version)...

I don't know what you mean by that.

considered going solo early 60s???

Hank?

He had his chances, but never took them. He stated in various interviews during the 1960s that he preferred to work as part of a group.

did nt like giving autographs????

I don't expect that many pop culture people really do like that. It's done as part of the price of fame.

He also said jet liked chicken wings??

Who knows?

....maybe someone can confirm these or better still the guy in question is a member here..I dont remember his name but he did say his father was well known and something to do with the music business and that he sat in on sessions and some of those were through the night

It's not ringing any bells.

JN
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby Jay Bass » Wed May 26, 2010 5:48 pm

Hi
i seem to remeber reading somewhere that the sand was in the speaker cab not the amp
to give it a dense sound.
this speaker cab ended up with chas Hodges of chas & dave fame , who was a session bass player for joe meek
and the original bass player with mike Berry And the Outlaws.

regards
jay
Jay Bass

Full Real Name: Jay Van Harte

Postby Gary Allen » Wed May 26, 2010 6:37 pm

Hi Jay...I heard that speaker cab was or still is used as a hutch for rabbits.......Hi Jim and thanks for your reply...That thing about the young ones is the song itself (3 lead guitar tracks).....thanks Gary p.s...the chicken wings might have something to do with jet getting his hands nice and slippy for a performance....So jet if you re looking in on this....Id really like to know..........gary
Gary Allen

Full Real Name: Gary Allen

Return to Gear