Anyone got 5 million to spare?

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Anyone got 5 million to spare?

Postby Twangaway » Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:44 pm

Glad you came to the rescue on the Black Strats, very progressive idea for the USA back then when we were lumbered with sunbursts LOL. I seem to recall an old photo of Gene Vincent's band playing at a UK townhall with a Black one, so thanks Dave it's jogged my memory so you are right again :)

I read somewhere that the serials were unclear in that important period.

So bottom line Dave , do you think it worth the asking price if genuine ?
Twangaway

Postby dave robinson » Sun Jun 06, 2010 4:21 pm

Twangaway wrote:
So bottom line Dave , do you think it worth the asking price if genuine ?

No, not under any circumstances. :|
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby Twangaway » Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:35 pm

I agree Dave, it's an obscene asking price, but has to be a wind up as no sane person would ask such a figure :) except perhaps Ecca with 1,000 free 1 hour guitar lessons including ample platters of Black Country stout steak and ale pies :) and a free grin ear to ear as he demonstrates 1,000 different ways to hold and use a plectrum.
Twangaway

Postby ecca » Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:49 pm

Twangaway wrote:I agree Dave, it's an obscene asking price, but has to be a wind up as no sane person would ask such a figure :) except perhaps Ecca with 1,000 free 1 hour guitar lessons including ample platters of Black Country stout steak and ale pies :) and a free grin ear to ear as he demonstrates 1,000 different ways to hold and use a plectrum.

What's a plectrum ?
ecca

Postby Twangaway » Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:18 am

Its one of those three sided free white pieces of plastic (plectrum to you LOL ) that you get inside every tub of " FINE " Polyfilla at B&Q . They are great for people who have fingers like carrots and can't hold the teeny weeny ones.

PS 10% off if you go on Wednesdays
Twangaway

Postby JimN » Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:37 am

dave robinson wrote:
Twangaway wrote:but ... Bruce had a Black Jazzmaster so am unsure

There were quite a few black strats' back then - I saw several when visiting various music museums it the U.S. Cliff Gallup had one with Gene Vincent's Bluecaps. We didn't see them in the UK until much later.
With respect, your knowledge is very limited David. All of your statements are incorrect.
Bruce's Jazzmaster was sunburst, plenty of pictures show it quite clearly.[/i

Remember the LP "Bobby Vee Meets The Crickets"?

Well, of course you do. I remember being fooled by an edge-on view of a Stratocaster (in the sleeve-cover shot) into thinking it was black. Other, later-seen, alternative shots from the same photo-shoot showed that it was sunburst. But a s/b Fender does look black when seen perpendicular to the angle of vision. This is probably what deceived Twangaway.

JN

PS: http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb147/Visual-Vinyl/rock5/IMG_4011.jpg
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby neil2726 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:35 am

As my late Uncle used to say - "that's a lot of money for a plank of wood with six strings on it"
Its a lot more than the estimated value of "That Strat" too. Better check your insurance policy Bruce! :D
neil2726

Full Real Name: Neil Sutton

Postby dave robinson » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:53 am

If a guitar owned and played on massive hit records by someone like Buddy Holly, Elvis, Eddie Cochran, Hank, Gearge Harrison or any of those types of guys came up for sale, it would rightly command a massive price, simply because of the history involved. I would go as far bas to say that if I was a wealthy man and could afford somewhere in the region of a million, then I would buy, but not any old 1957 Strat that some guy has had stashed away for all those years is worth that kind of figure, though it would have a 'vintage' value because of the way the market is. That said, I'm reliably informed that it has taken a bit of a dive lately. There is nothing wrong with new instruments, particularly the Vintage Reissues from Fender, all the ones I have and the ones I hear played by others including Colin Pryce Jones and several colleagues, sound exactly right. Remember, Those early Shads records were made using brand new guitars. :idea: 8-)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby Twangaway » Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:50 pm

Good point Dave, and I also think a new Strat is likely to sound every bit as good as a vintage Strat where the sound is actually exaggerated. The brightness of a quality Strat with the spec and pickup sound you love will always leave you pleased with the result. Even a humble squire through the right Amp :)
Twangaway

Postby RayL » Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:21 pm

dave robinson wrote: There were quite a few black strats' back then - I saw several when visiting various music museums it the U.S. Cliff Gallup had one with Gene Vincent's Bluecaps. We didn't see them in the UK until much later.
[/i][/color]

For those 35 tracks that Cliff Gallup recorded with Gene Vincent from early 1956 until the final session in October of that year, it is generally accepted that he used his Gretsch Duo Jet with heavy-guage tape-wound strings. Is it possible that the black Strat was used by a later Blue Caps guitar player?
cliffgallopcropped.jpg
cliffgallopcropped.jpg (51.12 KiB) Viewed 6947 times

Picture of Gene with later Blue Caps lineups certainly show Strats being used, with both Gene and one of the guitar players having matching Strats in an curious off-white shade with white plate.

Ray L
RayL

Full Real Name: Ray Liffen

PreviousNext

Return to Gear