What Tunes Need Twenty Two Frets ?

For anything to do with guitars, amps, effects units and any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: What Tunes Need Twenty Two Frets ?

Postby Tone » Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:53 am

MeBHank wrote:
Bojan wrote:My Resistance Is Low.

My Resistance is Low does indeed include the high Eb during the outro, but Hank used 34346 for that recording: a 21 fret guitar. When the Eb is played the string is being muted, and as long as you put the correct amount of pressure on the correct part of the string the note rings out as true as any other fretted note on the neck.

J

Hi Justin

I've always had difficulty in playing the outro on this number because, irrespective of whether the guitar has 21 or 22 frets, trying to play so high up, or off the end of, the fretboard is hampered by the guitar body getting in the way of my hand and fingers. I must admit to copping out by playing it an octave lower.

Any tips?

Cheers.

Tony
Tone

Full Real Name: Tony Ramsden

Postby OLDEREK » Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:03 pm

Tony you could always cut the horn off the guitar........ :D :D :D :D
OLDEREK

Postby Tone » Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:14 pm

OLDEREK wrote:Tony you could always cut the horn off the guitar........ :D :D :D :D

Thanks, Derek :D Taking this a step further, how about a guitar where the neck is not directly fitted into the body but is connected to it by an extension to the truss rod thus leaving a convenient gap between the neck and body?

Now this is getting silly!

Cheers.

Tony
Tone

Postby John Boulden » Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:41 pm

Peggy Sue from the Hank plays holly album needs the 22nd fret.

You have to bend the string at the 21st to get it.

John Boulden
John Boulden

Postby MeBHank » Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:25 pm

LOL, whoops! Of course I mean D, not Eb. It was 03:53 when I posted my comment - cut me some slack! :D :roll:

Tony, when I get home I'll try playing the phrase and see how I hold my hand on the neck when playing that high, then I'll come back to you with the answer of how I do it.

J
Justin Daish
MeBHank

Full Real Name: Justin Daish

Postby ScouserJoe » Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:55 pm

Tone20002 wrote:Hi Justin

I've always had difficulty in playing the outro on this number because, irrespective of whether the guitar has 21 or 22 frets, trying to play so high up, or off the end of, the fretboard is hampered by the guitar body getting in the way of my hand and fingers. I must admit to copping out by playing it an octave lower.

Any tips?

Cheers.

Tony

You must have big fingers, Tony :D. Barre with first finger across the 18th fret 1st and 2nd String, use 3rd finger on last section of fingerboard above 21st fret. Because the note is muted I have found that you can finger the D as if there was a 22nd fret - you get the note from the point of contact of the string on the very top edge of the fingerboard. This seems to work better with a rosewood fingerboard (which from the tone I get, I believe Hank used for this number) than the maple neck.
ScouserJoe

Postby Tone » Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:51 pm

Thanks, Justin and Ian

No, Ian, I have average sized fingers but I do have slightly restricted movement in my left hand 3rd finger due to an operation a few years ago although I can usually work out an alternative when it causes a problem. On "My Resistance is Low" I was trying to do the outro on the 1st, 2nd and 3rd strings after the 21st fret (which would be a basic 3 note B flat chord shape) and it was that which was causing my difficulties. I've tried your suggested fingering and I can do it although because of said restricted movement it is easier for me to use the 4th finger on the 1st string when playing the high B flat. Now why didn't I think of that myself!

Anyway, thanks very much and it once again shows the value of this forum.

Cheers.

Tony
Tone

Postby tony parnham » Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:43 pm

'My resistance' is no problem muted on the 22nd as there is just enough wood to get away with it on a 21 fretter strat and yes Noel I make it 'D' also.
Tony
tony parnham

Full Real Name: Tony Parnham

Previous

Return to Gear