Another gadget?

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Another gadget?

Postby PeterV » Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:38 pm

Thanks very much for your appreciated replies. I will get on with the extended artifacts design and report progress. The actual availability is highly related to the amount of rain and snow and it is now regarded as a winter project. I've selected 2-3 guitarplayers (Spain (Pancho)/UK (Roger) and he Netherlands (Ton)) for the pilot (they get the motherboard for free with pre-programmed daughterboard.

Cheers

Piet
PeterV

Postby Bojan » Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:50 pm

They are very lucky to be chosen!! I'm sure they'll do a great job. Good luck !! :thumbup:
Bojan

Full Real Name: Bojan Drndic

Postby panchodiaz » Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:27 pm

Good!

Yes Bojan, I´m a lucky guy. I´m looking forward Pete´s news to start the project.
panchodiaz

Full Real Name: Francisco Diaz Paniagua

Postby panchodiaz » Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:40 pm

Pete forgot to thank your kindness for choosing me!
panchodiaz

Full Real Name: Francisco Diaz Paniagua

Postby Didier » Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:59 pm

I mentionned Piet's project on our French forum, and it has already raised some interest...

Didier
Didier

Full Real Name: Didier Parot

Postby Bojan » Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:03 am

Just bringing this to the top . . . Any news? . . . how is it coming along? . . . Piet ?
Bojan

Postby PeterV » Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:15 pm

Bojan wrote:Just bringing this to the top . . . Any news? . . . how is it coming along? . . . Piet ?

Bojan,

Thanks for asking!

First things first: From a programming point of view the basic Meazzi disc2 is already programmed without proper filtering etc. This programming was done early this year to investigate if sufficiant room for programming was available on this device before jumping on further developments (a decision go/nogo point). Simple test revealed that this device can deliver what I'm looking for

For the last 3 months I've created 3 enclosures (19" not on the picture):

A small enclosure that would take the DSP unit and 3 controls. this is the low cost version and acts as a Meazzi emulator with the W&F programmed. Tape artifacts like white noise are not in this design. Tape saturation is.

A 7" enclosure that would not only take the DSP unit but also a dedicated pwba to add tape artifacts and W&F to be par or better then eTAP2. Here the controls are extended to 6 and the tape artifacts with a toggle on/off (I've seen a 4 pos toggle so this could be changed to more settings!!)

A 19" rack with same functionality of the 7Inch enclosure

For the small and the 7Inch I've developed drill plans and a contact who can use his milling machine for accurate drilling. The 7 Inch is powdercoated by a pro for 10 Euro. for both enclosures I've developed a potmeter assembly board and a I/O board assembly.

At the present I'm waiting for one supporting board to be delivered end of this week so the 7" can be fully/final assembled and programming started.
I'm also in contact with a pwba vendor in Germany to order additional motherboards I developed myself.
An additional order of the FV-1 Daughterboard is on its way to support one additional pilot member added this week.

A DIY kit approach is developed by me based on 3 area's:

1. Motherboard (obtained through me)
2. Daughterboard (obtained through OCT and programmed by me)
3. Components for the motherboard (defined by me. Can be ordered directly through a webstore here in the Netherlands)

The user requires to define what enclosure, BCD selector and pot meters is going to be used.

At the present for 1+2+3 I've created a kit ( http://www.echotapper.nl/images/fv1/eTAP_kit.JPG ) that's presently being used to build one emulator in a pre-pilot mode. When everything is correct the pilot group of 3 persons will get this 1+2+3 kit.

Bojan, As you can see I've developed a complete path to build this with success. In many cases the offering is just the board here it's with stuff that fits!!

I've received pre-orders already to an extend that I'm recalibrating logistics.

The actual programming is part of my 2010/11 winter project (brain warmer) and will include a simple device to write my developed programs to the DSP chip's memory by the users themselves. This is also the enabler for the user, if she/he wishes, to program the device to there own liking!

Check my website for more details or http://www.twitter.com/echotapper if you're interested in more details of work done.

It's all a labour of love project I've selected to undertake to allow a cost effective entry into this equipment domain.

Piet
PeterV

Postby ecca » Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:46 pm

I have an interest in this Piet.
ecca

Postby Bojan » Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:27 pm

Piet, as you know, I am very interested . . . I have been from the start . . . even though I don't understand most of what you're saying. Anyway, the middle enclosure (7") looks good to me!!! Put me on your waiting list. I'm sure people here will be interested, especially after we have heard some demos!!! But it look like a great Christmas gift many of us can give ourselves. :D

One thing Pete; I have been playing around with the J-patches using the eTAP through my laptop (it works very well) . I think the patches are all very authentic, with only a few requiring minimal tweaking (to personal taste). But I found one patch that I thought had to be a mistake. It's the one for Atlantis -- PP00 . . . it just does not sound right. There must be some mistake. Can you please check it out ??

Cheers,
Bojan
Bojan

Postby Bille » Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:28 pm

A very interesting project here! Most echo units that sounds good are to pricy.But it all comes down to how it sounds.The sound samples seems to be a midifile with to many notes at the same time?Can't you get some sound samples with a strat,and played with some Shads tunes?
Youv'e not mentioned if there is any dsp for EQ,witch is very importent to emulate the Meazzi.Keep it going,i will post this project to a Swedish site.

Roland
Bille

PreviousNext

Return to Gear