Confused about amp settings

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Confused about amp settings

Postby buckshot » Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:01 am

Hi Rosemary,
I play Shads and I live in Brissie on the north side. I may be able to help . I use a Magicstomp thru a compressor to my AC30 Vox. I also set my own strat up as well.
If you need anyhelp and don't live too far away I could possibly check your setup. I am not a luithier but have dabbled for quite awhile. ( old fart, 61 years old).
regards
Buckshot
buckshot

Postby Rosemary » Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:33 pm

Hi Tom
Thanks very much for your offer and it's great to know there are others here who play Shads because if ever I get good enough I'd love to join in and play or just pick up some hints. That's a long way in the future though. I don't think I've yet been able to play along to backing tracks of the few tunes I know (a bit) right through without a mistake and haven't even learnt to play standing up yet! However I've learnt not to stop when I make a mistake so at least finish at the same time as the backing tracks!:)

I think it really is my technique (pressing too hard and perhaps accidentally bending a bit) causing the intonation problems as the pitch is fine on some and not others within a 30 minute practice session in any order. It's funny though that now I'm trying to press more lightly on the strings I'm also strumming too lightly so have to retrain my brain not to do that.

I'm also recording some practice sessions with backing tracks to see how they're going (amazing how many more playing faults become obvious that way!) and upgraded to a Shure mike but it has an XLR cable so I bought a Lexicon Alpha USB box which although installed and recognised by Windows doesn't produce any sound from the mike so I'll have to try to fix that on the weekend too. Hopefully it will just be a case of new drivers but who knows. At least I'm better with computers than with guitars and amps.:)

Anyway thanks very much again! Oh, and I'm in my 50s & my husband will soon be 60 so we're not that young either :)

Best wishes
Rosemary
Rosemary

Full Real Name: Rosemary Beattie

Postby Bunny Ears » Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:56 pm

Hi Rosemary, I'm a newby here and haven't played guitar for years. I may file my nails down and pick up my acoustic again and see if Guitar Tango is as good as all those years ago.

I'm a vocalist really and rely on the guys to play.

Karen
Bunny Ears

Postby Rosemary » Sat Jul 24, 2010 11:06 am

Hi Karen
Nice to 'meet' you. This is a wonderful website which I visit at least once every night (and usually more) and love reading the older messages too. I've only been playing a few months so haven't tackled 'Guitar Tango' yet but it's on the list. I'm sure it'll sound as great today as you remember it. :)
Best wishes
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby cockroach » Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:57 am

Have you ladies CUT short the nails on your left hands??? :)

My wife used to play bass in the band with me- lots of ladies play bass here in Australia by the way- although they can play bass with beautiful long nails!

As they say, you have to suffer to be beautiful, but if a girl wants to play guitar, she has to suffer even more! ;)
cockroach

Full Real Name: john cochrane

Postby Bunny Ears » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:34 pm

Managed to post me and Jack at Newquay this summer. Teaching me some numbers (not Guitar Tango) when I'm ok I'll take the plunge.

Karen
Bunny Ears

Postby Rosemary » Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:57 am

Thanks for your replies, John and Karen
Great photo, Karen, and good luck with the new numbers.
I play the Strat standing up now which is another small step forward. :)
All the best
Rosemary
Rosemary

Previous

Return to Gear