Confused about amp settings

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, Iain Purdon, dave robinson, George Geddes

Confused about amp settings

Postby Rosemary » 15 Jul 2010, 09:13

Hi
My setup is a Fender Strat, Roland MicroCube and also a Boss Digital Delay DD-7. I'm pretty much a beginner, having only been teaching myself acoustic since the end of February this year and having bought the Strat only recently.

To check progress I've started recording my playing with a Logitech camera (and built in mike which I know is not going to produce good sound but is a good way to find weak points that mightn't be as obvious when I'm just practising (usually on the acoustic during the week) and it also adds a bit of pressure to get it right (which I never do!):)

Besides all the mistakes in my playing and having a lot to learn, my current problem is with the amp settings and I'm convinced they change overnight when I've done nothing to them! I'll play around with them and then note down the settings and effects I'm happy with and the next day they seem to sound different.

Problems I have (and sorry but I'm really very new to electric guitars and amps) are:

1. Understanding why the volume of e.g. JC Clean needs to be turned up so much higher than e.g. Classic and what would be the best nice and stable setting without distortion to use.

2. Wondering why I don't seem to get much volume out of the higher notes on the high E string. Is this where 'Gain' gets into the act?

3. Wondering why even after double checking the guitar tuning (with an electronic tuner) before I record, some tunes (especially the bass strings) sound out of tune but the next tune will be perfectly in tune even using the same notes on the bass strings (I'm wondering if this is just the cheap microphone picking up feedback or its position in the room - maybe too near the amp. I've also been learning to play holding the tremolo bar so was wondering if I'm putting pressure on it but then I'd expect everything to be out of tune and it's only some in the same session).

Anyway all good fun!
Best wishes
Rosemary
Rosemary

Full Real Name: Rosemary Beattie

Re: Confused about amp settings

Postby noelford » 15 Jul 2010, 10:03

Rosemary, The Roland MicroCube is a great little amp but is, naturally, more limited compared to bigger amps. Yes, there is quite a volume difference between some of the amp models, that's just the way it is, but you should be able to find a tone that you are happy with from that amp. Where, roughly, do you live? If you could get along to one of the clubs, I'm sure you'd find someone to help you work out some nice settings.

Lack of volume on your top E is more likely related to the guitar than the amp. It has nothing to do with Gain. The difference between Gain and Volume is a bit technical if you are new to all this. Basically, the higher you set the Gain, the more you will 'drive ' the amp and high gain will normally distort the tone. For clean sounds, start with your Gain control at twelve-o-clock and then adjust sound level with the Volume control. Then, if necessary, reduce the gain until you are happy with your tone.

As for your tone controls, again, try setting them to a neural position at first and then play around with various combinations.
noelford

Postby Rosemary » 15 Jul 2010, 11:41

Thanks Noel
I'll adjust those settings and see how we go.
We're in Brisbane, Australia and to my knowledge there are no clubs here which is a shame but maybe someone will start one here one day. :)
Best wishes
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby roger bayliss » 15 Jul 2010, 12:42

Rosemary if the bass strings are louder and the treble strings weaker it may be a problem with guitar set-up. You probably will not know how to go about this but try contacting a luthier or speak to your guitar shop about setups and prices . The other problem may be in the pickups themselves if its a problem the luthier should be able to identify it and advise you accordingly. :idea:
American Pro Series Strat 2017, G&L S500 Natural Ash
roger bayliss

Full Real Name: Roger Bayliss

Postby Tab » 15 Jul 2010, 13:30

Rosemary, Roger may be right about the pickups with regard to string volume.

Try this - on each side of each pickup (if you have a Strat) is a small screw. By screwing down (clock wise) the pickup will come closer to the strings. Conversley they will move down away from the strings into the scratch plate. Raise the pickup on the top strings and lower it on the bass strings until you get the balance you want.

It's very easy to do.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Terry
Tab

Full Real Name: Terry Bryant

Postby David Martin » 15 Jul 2010, 15:18

And when strings sound out of tune on one song, but in tune on the next, just check that you aren't...

1) Gripping the neck tighter and thus pushing the strings down harder between frets and thus going sharp... or...

2) Inadvertently pushing strings slightly sideways in your anxiety to get to the next note, or when you first arrive at a note.

p.s. You're not pushing down slightly on the tremelo bridge are you? :)

Keep it up...
David M
David Martin
Site Admin

Full Real Name: David Martin

Postby Rosemary » 16 Jul 2010, 09:55

Hi David, Terry and Roger
Thanks very much for your advice.
I think I have a free complimentary service and string change soon so I'll note all these points when I take it along to the store and also ask them to show me how to make these adjustments. I'm pretty scared about touching anything at the moment but I was like that with the acoustic too and can change strings on that now without having a nervous breakdown :)

Having had a couple of days annual leave I've been playing around a lot with the settings and now wonder if it's simply having the amp volume in this small room too loud for the cheap little microphone in the camera that's causing pitch problems. This afternoon I recorded the same tune about 10 times and the ones I've bothered playing back are either 1. out of tune or 2. pretty much spot on and I think the good ones were recorded at lower volumes. Perhaps the little camera mike just can't handle the amp volume & is cancelling out frequencies or something.

David: My technique could definitely be causing problems because I play the acoustic a lot and have to use more pressure. I didn't know that could change the pitch on an electric so it's good to know. Thanks.

Best wishes
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby ecca » 16 Jul 2010, 10:34

Hi Rosemary, I doubt that volume levels would have the slightest effect on pitch.
If it's varying from tune to tune then I would suspect you're leaning on the trem as you're playing.
Cheers
Ecca
ecca

Postby Tab » 16 Jul 2010, 17:53

Hi Rosemary,

you don't say what guage strings you are using. With regard to David's comments above, the lower guage strings (9s & 10s) are very easy to detune with finger pressure. With your experience of the acoustic you should be used to heavier guages so fit your Strat with 11s or 12s (if not already fitted) next visit to your guitar tech. Tuning with heavier strings is, in my opinion, much more stable. I use 12 guage with a wound 3rd string and have no problem with tuning at all.

However, remember that changing the guage of strings requires slight adjustments to the guitar setup which is why I recommend that any change is done next time you visit the experts at your store.

Good luck.

Incidentally, years ago when we all first started playing, very few of us understood that the guitar needed to be set up, or, indeed, what a set up was, and most of us had awful tuning problems not least of which some of our heroes!

Kind regards,

Terry
Tab

Full Real Name: Terry Bryant

Postby Rosemary » 17 Jul 2010, 08:02

Hi Eric and Terry
Thanks for these suggestions. I've checked very carefully and don't think I'm leaning on the tremolo arm so think it must be that I'm applying too much pressure which I've got used to from playing the acoustic. The higher strings seem to be fine. It's the lower ones that are the problem. Anyway today I tried to press more lightly and think it helped a bit. Also as a beginner I probably do tend to grip the fretboard pretty tightly when a difficult passage comes up and I'm worried about messing it up. :)
The string gauge is probably the lightest one if that's what most new Strats have as standard. It's certainly very light to play compared to the acoustic. I bought a couple of replacement light gauge packets for emergencies but think I might do better with heavier strings so that's probably the solution. On the positive side it gets some really nice tones when I do something right. :)
Thanks again
All the best
Rosemary
Rosemary

Next

Return to Gear