String makes

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

String makes

Postby harrybob » Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:12 pm

My apologies if this has been discussed previously, but I was wondering if i could get your thoughts on what make of string is best in helping to achieve that early sixties Hank Sound. I have recently set up my 57 reissue strat with Fender steel 12's with a wound G and that already makes it sound so much better with much more bottom end . I understand that pure nickel strings would be even better and I have heard recomendations for Gibson L5's, newtones and HB pure blues, is there a consencus on a set that is the best or is just down to personal taste ? Or are there other makes to also consider ?
harrybob

Full Real Name: Alun Stowell

Re: String makes

Postby Tab » Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:49 pm

Hi Alun,

As you suspect it really is a matter of personal preference although, in my opinion, you are on the right track using 12s with a wound third.

I use DR 'Jazz' 12s which are - 12,15,24w,32,42,52 but not many retailers stock them so Rotosound purples may substitute being the same guages.

I always buy my strings from Strings Direct who offer a very good and prompt service.

Part of that early sound comes courtesy of the heavier strings and a lot of attack - ease off on the volume and attack the strings. Try it with 'The Savage.

Kind regards,

Terry
Tab

Full Real Name: Terry Bryant

Postby harrybob » Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:31 pm

Thanks for the info Terry, ill give it a try !

I dont suppose anyone has any info about the type of plectrums Hank used in the early sixties ? This also, I would assume have an impact on the tone .

Alun
harrybob

Full Real Name: Alun Stowell

Postby bridev » Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:05 pm

Hi Alun,
I am not sure which brand Hank uses/used, but he has always as far as I know favored 1.5 gauge. But I am sure others more knowledgable than me will correct me if I am wrong.

Cheers
Brian.
The older the fiddler the sweeter the tune
bridev

Full Real Name: brian devlin

Postby cockroach » Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:04 am

I've just restrung both my gigging guitars with Dean Markley Medium gauge- 11-52 with a .20 wound third, and they come with an extra plain .018 third too.

These are a nice compromise, not too heavy, not too light- the 12-54 or 13 -56 gauges can be very hard to play, especially if the third string is about .024 or .026- might be best to increase gauge gradually?

May be necessary to check and alter harmonics, action and tuning after changing to a heavier gauge by the way...

Don't know what plectrums Hank used, but he certainly played HARD early on!
cockroach

Full Real Name: john cochrane

Return to Gear