Masterbuilt or Teambuilt - Does it Matter?

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Masterbuilt or Teambuilt - Does it Matter?

Postby asimmd » Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:02 pm

Hi Guys

I already have a C/S NOS56 Strat,and I am looking to buy another.

Problem is,do I go for a Masterbuilt or a Teambuilt.

Shops that stock these guitars are a long way away,so trying them is not really
feasable.
Your comments on these would be appreciated.

Thanks

Alan
asimmd

Full Real Name: Alan Sim

Re: Masterbuilt or Teambuilt - Does it Matter?

Postby cygnetshadow » Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:50 pm

I reckon Fender might say that there is a considerable difference, in that the best luthiers using the best materials would make a better guitar. My view would be that it may be so, but I'm not sure I would appreciate that difference. I certainly could not tell the difference between, say, a Stradivarius and any other old violin. I do know what I want from my Strat, so what more would the extra be?

I think it depends on whether you would spend about one thousand pounds more for the difference.

I'm leading up to say that I have a Custom shop 1959 NOS, in fiesta red, gold hardware, Abigail Ybarra pick-ups, that you could have instead. The main difference between the 56 and my 59 (commissioned by my local shop, Coda Music) is the neck profile. The 56 has the 'V' shaped "Boat" neck, and my 59 has a slimmer profile, more like a 62. It has spent most of its year of life in the case and has never been gigged. There are no dings nor flaws. It cost me £2,300 and you could have it for £1,800. Can I tempt you?.........

Best wishes, Stephen
cygnetshadow

Postby dave robinson » Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:10 pm

I play a '62 USA Reissue which is very similar in build quality and materials to the one described by Steve in the above post. It is almost as good as my Masterbult '54 50th Anniversary Reissue that cost over twice the price - what I'm saying is that it I firmly believe that will be a very good guitar and will do the business. My only question to Steve would be why sell such a good instrument?
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby cygnetshadow » Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:30 pm

Yes, it is a great guitar, Dave. Fair question, though!

I spent more than I should have on this. Much of its value is in the pristine condition. Consequently I am fearful of taking it out of the case, let alone gigging it. I want guitars that are a pleasure to play as well as to have and admire. I don't have a dedicated studio where I can keep it in cotton wool and I am uneasy just thinking about dinging it. I have owned and admired it for a year, but rarely done much more than that. If it will go to a good home then I shall be content. It's either that or get a supply of valium and I'm already taking enough heart pills!

I am keeping my 57 and 62 Vintage Reissues; these I'm happy to use.

Best wishes, Stephen
cygnetshadow

Postby David Martin » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:36 am

In my opinion there is a considerable difference in the sense that you may well come across an exceptional Team built CS guitar - or even a Vintage reissue or Mex Classic - but that will be the luck of the draw - although I've found team build consistently good. But Masterbuilts are always exceptional - I put this down to the personal selection of the woods and the personal touch all through production and assembly...

The law of diminishing returns always applies, but if you want exceptional, then this is the way to go... I can recommend both Mark Kendrick and Greg Fessler made guitars.
David M
David Martin
Site Admin

Full Real Name: David Martin

Postby dave robinson » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:50 am

Just to add to what David has written about the Masterbuilt guitars, having tried many different Strats' over the years I have to agree that they are certainly the 'cream' of the crop. I used to think that we were being ripped off, but not now I have tried and eventually bought one I have seen the evidence first hand, mine was built by Chris Fleming and is a definite 'keeper'. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby asimmd » Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:29 pm

Thanks to Dave and David for the comments.

They really only serve to make me more confused than I was before I asked the question.He He

Alan
asimmd

Full Real Name: Alan Sim

Postby kipper » Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:29 pm

hi alan thats what asking questions does :lol: when i make a decision like this i first make up my mind if i am buying with my heart or my wallet? if in this case it was my heart i would go for a masterbuild if you really want it. if you have the money do it, a masterbuild wont lose a great amount of value over time. no more than the last shares crash. :D peter
kipper

Full Real Name: peter harrison

Return to Gear