New strings for new Strat

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

New strings for new Strat

Postby Rosemary » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:02 am

Hi
I'm still having intonation problems with my Strat. (Well I think I have. It's spot on in tune whether I use a chromatic electronic tuner or tune by ear to A440 but it often sounds out when I record it - although I'm only using a cheap web camera mike for recording. (Getting the audio interface & Shure mike to record properly is a whole other story which I'm gradually sorting out).

Anyway the Strat (American Standard) is about due for its first service/string change so I need to decide whether to go for heavier strings but I'm still wondering if it's my technique so am feeling a bit unsure of what to do. I've adjusted my playing technique a lot to ensure I'm not bending or pressing too hard and yet some strings particularly the G string higher up on the fretboard seems to go out.

It also seems to depend a bit on my amp settings (MicroCube) and if I plug in the Boss Digital Delay there are fewer intonation problems. Also there's a slight difference in the height of the G string from the fretboard compared to the other strings so I don't know if this is normal.

I was told by a music shop that the Strat would have been fitted with the equivalent of 3250L light strings so I bought a couple of spare packets and I've even been wondering if some of my problems are simply because the strings themselves need changing. Anyway if I decided to go for heavier strings would anyone have suggestions for the best gauge (for Shadows tunes naturally) :) I tend to practise on the acoustic more during weeknights so am used to slightly heavier strings.

Thanks very much in advance.
Best wishes
Rosemary
Rosemary

Full Real Name: Rosemary Beattie

Re: New strings for new Strat

Postby noelford » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:00 pm

I find elevens are a good all round guage, Rosemary, Still very bendable but with more body than lighter gauges. I use Gibson Britewires on my masterbuilt Strat and Elixirs on my American Vintage. The Elixirs stay fresh a very long time, especially if you wipe down with Fastfret every time to finish playing.
noelford

Postby cockroach » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:45 pm

Rosemary, try 11-52 with a wound third (.20)- Dean Markley brand, if you can find them.

Good luck and don't give up!
cockroach

Full Real Name: john cochrane

Postby Rosemary » Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:02 pm

Hi Noel and John
Thanks very much for your advice. That sounds the way to go and hopefully will fix the problem. I'm pretty happy with the progress - just little steps - e.g. learning to play standing up has been a big boost to my confidence even though it doesn't sound much. :) I only hope when I take it in to get serviced they won't keep it too long.
Best wishes
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby Stratpicker » Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:10 pm

A digital delay unit will help 'mask' a slightly out of tune note.
Light guage strings are fine if you want to do massive country and heavy rock style bends etc but not a lot of use for 'our' work. All of my playing and recordings are done on Elixir 11s. Anything less is too bendy and the note goes off pitch (high) and 12 or 13s are only for the BigBoys!! LOL!!
"Leaning" on the trem arm can have the effect of making the guitar seem 'flat' and out of intonation just as can not placing fingers firmly on the fretboard without sliding the strings around. I take it you have 3 or 4 springs in the trem box?
I'm sure a GOOD guitar tech will sort out the intonation for you and make sure the nut is not too tight for the 11s you should now be thinking of using.
The thing is to ENJOY playing the thing, learning the tunes, getting the phrasing right and improving your technique as quickly as you want at your own pace. The bugbear of intonation etc comes secondary to that and only becomes an issue once your playing takes you to the point at which you KNOW its the guitar and not you! LOL!
Have Fun
cheers
ian
ps - I might have missed it but how is the 'action' set on your Strat? Is it high and you need a lot of finger pressure to hold down a chord or a note? Some of us poor souls in the early 60's learned on planks made by Rossetti (Lucky7) that had a 5mm action at the 12th fret!!! I kid you not!
Stratpicker

Full Real Name: Ian Plant

Postby Rosemary » Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:01 pm

Hi Ian
Thanks for that. It seems 11s are the way to go and it's encouraging to know it's not just me because I've been concentrating very hard on not doing anything that would alter the pitch and I've recorded my technique just to check I wasn't leaning on the tremolo arm or doing anything weird (that I can see anyway).
As for the specs I don't really know but the action is very light (hardly any pressure is needed especially after playing the acoustic).

I bought the guitar at a guitar show a couple of months ago. I tried out about 4 or 5 having never played an electric before and having only had an acoustic for a few months. Unfortunately the one I loved the most and ended up buying was also the most expensive but it sounded better and felt so much more comfortable. It's lovely to play except for the unpredictable intonation sometimes.

Thanks again and all the best
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby noelford » Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:59 pm

Rosemary wrote:Hi Noel and John
I only hope when I take it in to get serviced they won't keep it too long.

You mean you've only got two guitars and only an acoustic to play while the Strat's in the shop?! Good heaven's, girl, that's not good enough. I'm up to eleven (or is it twelve) guitars and I know that's nothing compared to some!
noelford

Postby ecca » Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:59 pm

Rosemary, I struggle with 11s.
The lesser the diameter the less the string pressure and the easier to press down the strings.
I play with 10 to 46 or even 9 to 46 . depends how many spare strings I got.
ecca

Postby Tab » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:09 pm

Hi Rosemary,

My advice would be to go for the heavier strings - you won't have any trouble with them as you're use to the acoustic.

If the guitar is set up properly (your store will do that for you) you shouldn't have any problem with the tuning or intonation. Using heavier strings, in my opinion, gives the guitar a more stable feel especially if you are using extra springs (4 or 5) on the tremolo. Apart from anything else, heavier strings are more likely to produce that vintage Shadows tone.

Personally, I use 12-52s with five springs on the trem and I have no problem with tuning, in fact, whenever I check the tuning it is never far from true even when the guitar hasn't been played for some time.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Kind regards,

Terry
Tab

Full Real Name: Terry Bryant

Postby Tab » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:14 pm

Incidentally, I have an inoperative third finger due to an accident so all my heavy work, bending, hammer-ons, pull-offs etc has to be done with my little finger on a wound 24 third string and I have no problem with the heavier guage.
Tab

Full Real Name: Terry Bryant

Next

Return to Gear