New strings for new Strat

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: New strings for new Strat

Postby Rosemary » Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:38 am

Hi Terry, Noel and Eric

Thanks again for all your help. I went as far as phoning the shop today and they said there's no problem setting it up with 11s but said the Strat would probably have 10s?

The other store in the city said it would have 9s. That is I imagine the 3250L that ranges from .009 to .042.

So I suppose I'll need to confirm what I actually have first and step up gradually. The acoustic has .012 - .053 and I'm pretty used to that now although have trouble getting the correct pressure with some basic chords like Eb major and haven't really tried any barre chords unles G#minor counts (and I use one finger over another to hold that down).
At the moment I'm concentrating more on melodies and lead but still want to get better at chords.

I suppose the Strat could also be changed back to lighter strings if I couldn't adapt to heavier ones?

The bad news about all this was they said it would probably be in the shop a week depending on the availability of the technicians! Noel: I know what you mean and buying a back up did actually cross my mind. Maybe just a Squier? Although where we'd keep it would be a problem too. There's no room in here. Hence the little amp.

Eric, I can't help but think of you this week during our state's biggest annual event known as The Ekka. :)
http://www.ekka.com.au/

Thanks again and all the best.
Rosemary
Rosemary

Full Real Name: Rosemary Beattie

Postby ecca » Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:55 am

Looks great Rosemary, I'm on my way !
ecca

Postby cockroach » Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:34 pm

Hi Rosemary,

Pity I live in Adelaide - if you were a bit closer, I'd pop over and re-string and set your guitar up in about half an hour!
cockroach

Full Real Name: john cochrane

Postby Rosemary » Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:51 am

Hi Eric and John
John: Thanks for the offer. :) Adelaide is a bit far away unfortunately.
Eric: 'Ekka' is an Aussie abbreviation of 'Exhibition'. Forgot to mention that :)
btw I decided to post a video of my Strat at
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=3212
Bet it would sound fantastic if everyone here played it but I'll get there eventually :)
Best wishes
Rosemary
Rosemary

Full Real Name: Rosemary Beattie

Postby the fiesta man » Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:11 pm

hi depending on what gauge strings you are using now if your usings say 10s then going to 11s you will need a re set up trust rod ajustment and re setting up the bridge.
regards richie
the fiesta man

Postby Tab » Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:23 pm

Truss rod adjustment is not an automatic requirement when moving up to higher guage strings but can sometimes be necessary. I moved up to 12s some years ago and truss rod adjustment was not necessary of my guitars,

It's really getting the tension on the strings balanced with the tension of the springs in the trem to reach equilibrium which is important. However, if the set up is done by somebody who knows what he/she is doing, any adjustment will be made at the time.
Tab

Full Real Name: Terry Bryant

Previous

Return to Gear