Technique - just wondering

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Technique - just wondering

Postby Rosemary » Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:47 pm

I've noticed Hank and most guitarists run their hands really quickly up and down the fretboard periodically but don't actually play a note up there. I'm too much of a novice to understand why that is, except perhaps it's to stop the string from vibrating? Or maybe there's another reason? And should I be doing it? :)
Thanks
Rosemary
Rosemary

Full Real Name: Rosemary Beattie

Re: Technique - just wondering

Postby Mike Honey » Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:58 pm

HeHe. Its called pose-value Rosemary ;)

mike
Mike Honey

Postby Rosemary » Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:16 pm

Aha! Thanks Mike. It can go to the end of my list of things to learn then. :)
all the best
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby the fiesta man » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:48 am

hi rosemary im richie. how long have you been playing now
if im ok to ask :?: as you start to get better and better you will realise you can play notes in a easier way than how you imagined
;)
cheers richie
the fiesta man

Postby Rosemary » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:16 am

Hi Richie
Thanks for replying. I started learning on an acoustic at the end of February this year and then bought the Strat a couple of months ago but tend to mainly practise the Strat on weekends and the acoustic at night (after work). I try to concentrate on what I can do now, that I couldn't do a few weeks ago, rather than on all the things I still can't do and probably won't be able to for many years. Sometimes progress seems really slow but if I can just play one phrase a bit more fluently at the end of the week I'm happy and learning to play while standing up was good for my confidence - although I'm not really sure why. :)
All the best
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby the fiesta man » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:30 am

hi rosemary yeah just do what ever feels best for you all though when learning something its probley best to be sat down first.
then once you have confidence stand up. please check out some of my videos on youtube
redfenderguy is my name on there hehe i play all sorts mostly the shadows
thanks richie.
ps i have posted up 2 videos on here as well. i dont want to post up to many i dont want to up set the modorator :D
the fiesta man

Postby Rosemary » Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:23 pm

Hi Richie
Thanks. I'd love to hear them so will check out some more when my connection problems get sorted - have been getting dropouts all night.
All the best
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby Mikey » Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:25 pm

Hi Rosemary

I think most players do it from time to time, probably without realising. To me it seems like an instinctive "re-grouping" of the fingers between passages, getting ready for the next chord or note to be played. Sometime maybe even like a follow through after a fast slide up several frets. I may be wrong (I usually am!) but thta's what it seems like to me.
Well done on your playing progress, really good after such a short time.
Mikey

Postby Rosemary » Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:35 pm

Thanks Mike.
I'm practising every night - even if only on the acoustic - but am getting a bit stuck in some passages - e.g. the end chords of Atlantis, the middle bit of FBI, the beginning and galloping bits of Apache, just to name a few. :) Also I still can't play Eb major chord (well not on the acoustic anyway) but might have a solution to that by moving my thumb right around the back and shaping it differently. There has to be a way :)
best wishes
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby ecca » Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:34 pm

Rosemary- play D# instead of Eb.
It's easier.
ecca

Next

Return to Gear