electric spanish guitar

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

electric spanish guitar

Postby Stratpicker » Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:36 pm

What does the Team think of ELECTRIC Spanish guitars?
I'm not looking for an expensive TOTR guitar, just something that will do the Job and sounds nice.
BIrthday approaches and hopefully some cash available.
I do seem to remember Ian McCutcheon with one at Warwick a little while back and it sounded great but cant remember the make? :?
cheers
Ian
ps - anyoneselling one perhaps? :idea:
Stratpicker

Full Real Name: Ian Plant

Re: electric spanish guitar

Postby cockroach » Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:54 pm

I presume you mean a classical style nylon string job with a piezo bridge pickup and in built preamp?

Like any other type of guitar, they are a good useful instrument if you have a use for one- being able to be used amplified solo, with or without backing or with a band on stage.
cockroach

Full Real Name: john cochrane

Postby Bluesnote » Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:37 pm

I purchased a Yamaha CG150CCA around ten years ago. Its a classical with a single cutaway. The neck is slightly narrower than a normal classical.
The sound either acoustic or through its own pickup built into the bridge is great.
As far as I remember it cost around the £400 price range with hard case.
The neck feels like a tree trunk after playing Strats or similar instruments, but on the plus side, after playing it for a while, your hands glide over your electrics neck with ease. And its great for strenthening your fingers.
Funny you should bring this up. I just bought new strings for mine a couple of days ago and cleaned and oiled the neck last night. I've not played it for ages.
I'm going to bring it into some of my recordings once I get used to it again.
They sound so much better than the normal steel strung acoustics. I have never regretted buying it.
Yamahas are a great middle of the road purchase I've found.
Be warned though. The re-stringing technique is somewhat of a learning curve and tuning problems can be frustrating to say the least.
But well worth the effort in the long run.
Sorry. For sale it is not ;)
Hugh.
Bluesnote

Postby Stratpicker » Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:05 am

Hi Cockroach, thats exactly what I mean! Not having the kit to mike upany more, I need an electro acoustic Spanish guitar if I'm to do any more Alentejo / Guitar Tango type tunes.
HUgh - the Yammy is certainly a good guitar. I have a Yammy APX electro acoustic which is jolly nice too but being steel strung just doesnt get "that sound" when aiming for nylon strung tones.
Thanks for the info, guys.
Cheers
Ian
Stratpicker

Full Real Name: Ian Plant

Postby cockroach » Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:38 pm

Don't thank me mate- thank the late Chet Atkins and some other unknown designers at companies like Ovation, Gibson etc who pioneered and developed the piezo electric principle pickups and then the use of built-in battery powered pre-amps, which enabled all players of acoustic guitars and many other acoustic instruments to be able to properly amplify their instruments for band and stage use, instead of suffering the past problems of using say, microphones or magnetic pickups..such as feedback, and sounds which were a compromise...

Having seen guitar genius folk as diverse as John Williams, Willie Nelson, Jose Feliciano, Chet Atkins and many others use electric nylon string jobs, they are here to stay...and as you say, good for getting the right sound live or with a band for Guitar Tango etc!
cockroach

Full Real Name: john cochrane

Postby Paulps » Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:08 am

Hi Ian
Do you need a "Spanish" guitar to play "El Solo Toro"? :twisted:
Paulps

Return to Gear