Hank´s first electric guitar?

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Hank´s first electric guitar?

Postby Simon Underwood » Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:25 pm

I was mistaken- I knew I'd read it somewhere, and I was convinced it was in 'The Shadows by Themselves', but I've looked through it tonight, and it's definitely not mentioned.

Where I actually saw it was in a magazine series from the mid 70s called 'The Story of Pop'. It's in the fifth issue, in an article about The Shads called 'The Backing Steps Forward'. I quote:

"'Apache' was an outstanding record at the time; a simple tune played in a pure, almost clinical way, by the Shadows. Each and every note was clearly distinguishable, and the three other instruments blended perfectly behind Hank's guitar; a very professional, tight unit. The cause of the new sound was Hank switching to a red Fender Stratocaster that Cliff had had shipped over directly from the factory in the States. (Before that, he had been using an old black Vega, which was semi-acoustic, and a Nanturia solid-bodied guitar which he'd bought for about £30, because it looked 'moody'.)

No mention of who wrote the article.

Simon
Simon Underwood

Full Real Name: Simon Underwood

Postby cockroach » Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:00 pm

The person who did the interview might have been hard of hearing, stupid, or illiterate perhaps- there's still a lot of them about today, they call themselves journalists, and they often misquote interview subjects or make up things that the subject didn't even say...

...anyway, the name of the brand of the guitar was, and still is ANTORIA.
cockroach

Full Real Name: john cochrane

Postby Simon Underwood » Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:51 pm

Accepted- the interviewer probably just mis-heard the name.
Simon Underwood

Full Real Name: Simon Underwood

Previous

Return to Gear