62 Fender Strat in Brisbane, Australia

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

62 Fender Strat in Brisbane, Australia

Postby Rosemary » Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:40 pm

I'm vaguely thinking of buying a back up Strat (for when my new one needs to be setup with heavier strings, or ever needs repairs) and happened to look at this store.
http://www.guitarcentre.net.au/shop/cat ... rselectric
Somehow I don't think I'll be getting a vintage Strat as a backup :)
I'm half thinking of just buying a Squier as a back up but don't know if I'd be disappointed. Anyway we'll see and in the meantime it's nice looking at the pictures.
best wishes
Rosemary
Rosemary

Full Real Name: Rosemary Beattie

Re: 62 Fender Strat in Brisbane, Australia

Postby cockroach » Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:03 pm

Hi from Adelaide, Rosemary!

To save on the expense, try a Squier Bullet Strat- they are still $199 new here in SA, and available in various colours too.

I had one as my stage backup for two or three years, until I sold it to another chap in our small local Shads club who didn't have an electric guitar.

Unbeatable value for the money, quite well finished and made, with a nice neck , and they can give a pretty authentic range of sounds too- with either the standard light strings or heavier gauges.
cockroach

Full Real Name: john cochrane

Postby RUSSET » Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:57 am

Hi Rosemary,
You couldn't do better value for money than one of the Squier 'Classic Vibe' series Strats, as a superb second guitar. I don't know how much they are in Oz, but here in UK they are around the £260 mark. They are, of course, Chinese made, but don't let that put you off, the quality is punching well above its price. They do '50s & '60s vintage style models & come with proper Alnico pole-piece pickups, not the cheap bar-magnet types. I have a Squier Biffy Clyro 'Simon Neal' Signature Strat (Scottish modern pop band), which is in Fiesta Red with a Rosewood fingerboard, & is really an F.Red version of their '60s Classic Vibe model with a band logo on the headstock, & it is one of the best guitars I have bought in the last few years. I believe that particular version may only be available in the UK, but I'm sure the rest of the Classic Vibe series is on sale in Oz. You could try one out in your local music store, I'm sure. You won't be dissapointed.

Cheers, Tony.
RUSSET

Postby Rosemary » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:38 am

Hi John and Tony
Thanks for your advice. I'm very pleased to hear they are good guitars. It would be handy to use after work during the week too because the more expensive Strat takes a bit of setting up, connecting & disconnecting the strap, tremolo bar, putting back in its case etc. It doesn't sound like much work but it all takes time at night. If I had a cheaper model I could leave it out and just grab it whenever I wanted and not worry if the cats knocked it over - not that I think they would. That's why I usually only play the acoustic at night and the Strat on weekends - and I also need to practise effects that I can only get with the electric. Then maybe my husband can learn too. He already knows some basic chords from years ago :)
All the best
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby ecca » Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:18 pm

My working guitar is my Cakeocaster that I put together from bits.
My backup guitar is a Gibson L5. :D
ecca

Postby cockroach » Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:08 pm

Or you could check out Cash Converters or pawnshops around town, and pick up any number of cheap Strat copies- although their buying staff are a lot more savvy than they used to be(these days, if they get a trade-in or purchase that is a bit different, they check e-Bay or other sites to get an idea of value!) but if you check the brands, they sometimes have some quite good instruments which they can't tell from the real cheapo jobs!

A few years ago, in a Cash Converters, amongst a long row of cheapo Strat copies hanging on the wall, I found and bought a Godin 'super Strat' job- a very good quality Canadian made guitar which retailed at about $700...but it was priced at $145, about the same price as all the other cheap Chinese and Korean copies!
cockroach

Full Real Name: john cochrane

Postby Rosemary » Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:24 am

Hi John
Good idea! My husband goes to a lot of weekend markets so I've told him to be on the lookout for old guitars there too. He bought me a battered old acoustic at the markets earlier in the year and he and his Dad restored it but unfortunately there was a missing support inside and when we put the strings on the bridge lifted which made it too difficult to play which is why I ended up buying the new guitars.
Best wishes
Rosemary
Rosemary

Return to Gear