JMI 50th anniversary amp+ 50th CRS 59 Strat

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: JMI 50th anniversary amp+ 50th CRS 59 Strat

Postby David Martin » Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:27 am

I'm actually quite amazed that ardent Shads fans would want an amp without at least an EF86 based channel - as opposed to a purely EF86 based front end. In my view, such preamp arrangement is the source of one element of an authentic Shads sound up to and including Wonderful Land. Note the use of the word "authentic"... not "good" or "close" or "acceptable" ... :)

It's possible to buy an original 60's Vox at more or less the price that Music Ground (JMI) are charging for this modern kit... :?

And whilst the sounds that Hank achieved on the Cliff tour were better than his previous attempts, they still fell short of what other folks (notably Colin Pryce-Jones) are able to achieve on a daily basis... :shock:

My tin hat is on... shoot! :twisted:
David M
David Martin
Site Admin

Full Real Name: David Martin

Postby Amanda » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:22 am

Having seen the Taydens I'm amazed that Celestion haven't
sued the A** off them for copyright, most guitar speakers would
still be hand built, i can't imagine a cone fitting machine.

Dave, no there is no EF86 in that amp, as for the top boost
why not just build it in the amp with the controls on the top panel,
after all the Top Boost add on was just an interim "Codge" until
Vox added it to the top panel, and of course a retrofit for older amps.

Like Dave - Tin hat is now firmly on!!
[Check Out My Meazzi Site: http://www.meazzi.org.uk
And Tape Echo Forum: http://ac15.org.uk/meazzibbs/index.php

You're Never Alone With A Mitzi!
Amanda

Full Real Name: Amanda Hambidge

Postby roger bayliss » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:25 am

I tend to agree David and I nearly always use the ef86 channel on my Heritage as it's my favourite sound :D Having the top boost as well is a real bonus in that amp ! :)
American Pro Series Strat 2017, G&L S500 Natural Ash
roger bayliss

Full Real Name: Roger Bayliss

Postby keithmantle » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:33 am

I had a AC15 Heritage with EF86 and could not get a sound i liked, so i am trying a JMI 30TB, i have to go on what Hankies members tell me about 'the sound' as i am 3/4 deaf and wear a hearing aid(wonderful feedback) What i can say is that Amandas Handbuilt AC15 sounded fantastic, my Heritage never sounded half as good, so will keep on searchin
keithmantle

Full Real Name: keith george mantle

Postby dave robinson » Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:11 am

Here's what I remember of my visit to The Hankies and the various kit that I heard including Amanda's hand built amp. Roger's AC30 Heritage sounded good as expected, but had a 'fatter' sound than my AC15 Heritage, I suspect the extra power and twin speakers make the difference. The EF86 channel didn't quite sound the same as either of my own AC30s. (AC30/4 & AC30TBX with Roger's Vintage unit)
Amanda's Hand built amp had the sound, but distorted easily at low volume and was disappointing.
Amanda brought an actual early 1960's Vox AC15 to a gig (Ithink it was North Notts) which I tried and that was awesome -THE SOUND, happily for me very similar to my own Heritage amp. Daniels Heritage was also at The Hankies and didn't sound like mine. Keith told me that his Heritage didn't sound right either so I'm wondering about the consistancy in these models, though I also tried his ESE Echomatic and that too sounded poor compared to my own one and the one owned by David Martin. Maybe the human factor and set up was a major contribution.
Something as simple as a dodgy valve can make these vast differences as I have experienced in the past, but it is the nature of the valve based gear. As far as echo machines go it's probably why the solid state effects units are so popular - at least they are consistant. :idea:
Looking forward to trying out Keith's JMI - maybe next Tuesday? :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby hansaustria » Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:58 am

Hi Dave, I ordered on of the 10 - "50 Anniversary Amps" from JMI - and I was told by an american musician that these amps were modified and electrically a little different to the normal JMI AC 30/6 TB and fitted with Tayden`s because Hank & Bruce wanted to have a closer identical tone to the original amps they used in the 60`s !!

Regards
Hans
Last edited by hansaustria on Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hansaustria

Full Real Name: Johann Wolfgang Schmotz

Postby ecca » Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:30 pm

Amanda's Hand built amp had the sound, but distorted easily at low volume and was disappointing.

It didn't last night Dave, it was fantastic. Hats off Amanda, a brilliant amp you've made there.
ecca

Postby dave robinson » Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:47 pm

Great stuff, I look forward to having a go . . . . . on the amp that is. :lol:
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby hansaustria » Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:48 pm

Today it was delivered ......... sounds amazing !

Hans
hansaustria

Full Real Name: Johann Wolfgang Schmotz

Postby phil kelly » Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:22 pm

Modified ? Electronically slightly different ? sorry to break anyones heart but the only thing thats different with these amps in comparison to stock amps is the pretty plaque on the back and the over inflated price tag, that fact coming from a couple of sources, one in particular being the guy that built the things, as previously stated you could buy yourself the real deal and have plenty of change in your pocket whilst at the same time gaining an investment.
The Taydens, being the new kids on the block wishing to gain exposure and not dismissing them whatsoever are most likely in the amp as they are probably cheaper,
A great way to move amps that had maybe started to sit to long in the warehouse perhaps ?
I guess the final point of question is do you get a cert signed by both the men themself ? stating and varifying such claims ?
Phil.
phil kelly

Full Real Name: phil kelly

PreviousNext

Return to Gear