JMI 50th anniversary amp+ 50th CRS 59 Strat

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: JMI 50th anniversary amp+ 50th CRS 59 Strat

Postby keithmantle » Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:19 am

Hi Phil, Lazy J amps have just changed from Blue Al's to Taydens
keithmantle

Full Real Name: keith george mantle

Postby Stratpicker » Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:00 am

phil kelly wrote:Modified ? Electronically slightly different ? sorry to break anyones heart but the only thing thats different with these amps in comparison to stock amps is the pretty plaque on the back and the over inflated price tag, that fact coming from a couple of sources, one in particular being the guy that built the things, as previously stated you could buy yourself the real deal and have plenty of change in your pocket whilst at the same time gaining an investment.
The Taydens, being the new kids on the block wishing to gain exposure and not dismissing them whatsoever are most likely in the amp as they are probably cheaper,
A great way to move amps that had maybe started to sit to long in the warehouse perhaps ?
I guess the final point of question is do you get a cert signed by both the men themself ? stating and varifying such claims ?
Phil.

Well all I can say (as one who could never afford to buy one anyway)is that last night at Hankies I had the great fortune to run my Brason Strat via me ole' Zoom2000EFTP through Keiths JMI AC30 for my first spot. I thought that sounded pretty b---y good until, for the second spot, Keith also let me use his Q2 instead of my Zoom. My pants are still on the radiator drying out !!!! :shock: :shock: :mrgreen:
Roll on the Lottery!!
cheers
ian
Stratpicker

Full Real Name: Ian Plant

Postby dave robinson » Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:43 am

I agree Ian, the Q2/JMI sounded terrific. :thumbup:
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby hansaustria » Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:44 pm

Today I compared my vintage post JMI 69/70 AC 30 TB( GZ 34 / PtP ) with the new JMI. Both amps are sounding IMHO very similary.
The JMI has less noise and a warmer - rounder - smoother tone - up to very clean/clear and crisp ! Tested with my Peavey HP,my Strat and
my EC 1OOO Les Paul type guitar( LTD ) !

The costs - we all know that handbuilt amps ( custom amps running in small numbers ) are not cheap equal which brand you choose !

Hans
hansaustria

Full Real Name: Johann Wolfgang Schmotz

Postby Amanda » Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:10 am

Hi,
In the earlier post where Dave mentioned distortion on my amp
when I first took it to the hankies, that was caused by a link
on the tagboard that effectively disconnected the grid leak
resistor on one half of the phase splitter.

I sorted that before I put it in the cabinet.

Amanda
[Check Out My Meazzi Site: http://www.meazzi.org.uk
And Tape Echo Forum: http://ac15.org.uk/meazzibbs/index.php

You're Never Alone With A Mitzi!
Amanda

Full Real Name: Amanda Hambidge

Postby hansaustria » Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:41 pm

Hi Phil,
you do not break my heart (there you would have to have blond hair and be female ) I know and believe all the
things you said about the 50 Anniversary amp - but believe me - the amp sounds awsome. Tested with different
guitars ( Fender Tele / Strat / Burns Marvin etc. ) and compared with two "real" vintage amps ( JMI 1963 / VOX 1969 ).
And ..... the JMI has less noise ........ and sounds vintage too !

MG / JMI offers the amps on his ebay store to an affordable price !

Hans
hansaustria

Full Real Name: Johann Wolfgang Schmotz

Postby SteveG » Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:58 am

Hi Dave, I ordered on of the 10 - "50 Anniversary Amps" from JMI - and I was told by an american musician that these amps were modified and electrically a little different to the normal JMI AC 30/6 TB and fitted with Tayden`s because Hank & Bruce wanted to have a closer identical tone to the original amps they used in the 60`s !!

Hello,

I just stumbled on this thread whilst searching for something else.

I built the six amplifiers that The Shadows used for their 50th Anniversary tour, and can confirm that there were no special modifications made to the electronics, despite claims to the contrary made by Music Ground in their advertising.

If anyone has any questions about the amplifiers, I'd be more than happy to answer them.

Steve
SteveG

Postby David Martin » Sun Nov 28, 2010 4:04 pm

SteveG wrote:
Hi Dave, I ordered on of the 10 - "50 Anniversary Amps" from JMI - and I was told by an american musician that these amps were modified and electrically a little different to the normal JMI AC 30/6 TB and fitted with Tayden`s because Hank & Bruce wanted to have a closer identical tone to the original amps they used in the 60`s !!

Hello,

I just stumbled on this thread whilst searching for something else.

I built the six amplifiers that The Shadows used for their 50th Anniversary tour, and can confirm that there were no special modifications made to the electronics, despite claims to the contrary made by Music Ground in their advertising.

If anyone has any questions about the amplifiers, I'd be more than happy to answer them.

Steve

Welcome aboard Steve... good to have you with us!
David M
David Martin
Site Admin

Full Real Name: David Martin

Postby SteveG » Sun Nov 28, 2010 4:39 pm

Thankyou David!

Steve
SteveG

Previous

Return to Gear