New backup Strat

Hints and tips on getting the sound you want. Includes anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; playing techniques; also amps, effects units, recording equipment and any other musical accessories.

Moderators: David Martin, Iain Purdon, dave robinson, JimN, George Geddes

New backup Strat

Postby Rosemary » 28 Aug 2010, 08:05

Hi
As mentioned in viewtopic.php?f=21&t=3283
I realised the need for a backup guitar (besides the acoustic) and today decided on a secondhand Mexican Strat as we found a great guitar shop with an excellent collection of Strats (and other guitars).

As most of the time today was spent rearranging the room to fit it in, I haven't had time to play it much yet but it sounds fine and is in pretty good condition (metallic green). Its strings are 10s so I'll compare it tomorrow with my American Standard Strat (packed in its case) as I now suspect it has 9s. (My husband says the Mexican sounds brighter which could well be the heavier strings.)

The trem bar is also firmer which means I have to adjust my 'technique' (not that I have one yet) a bit but I'll get used to that I suppose.
Anyway I'm leaving this one out ready to play at any time as opposed to the more expensive one which I only play on weekends and which stays safely in its case the rest of the time.

By the way, both people I've bought guitars from are Shads fans and have demonstrated the guitars with Shadows tunes when I've said that's the style of music I'd like to be playing. :) I'm also hoping my husband will learn to play this one so we can play together and am referring to it as 'his' guitar.

Best wishes
Rosemary
Rosemary

Re: New backup Strat

Postby RUSSET » 28 Aug 2010, 08:24

Hi Rosie,
Glad you've got sorted with a spare Strat. I would be surprised if there 9s on your USA Strat, as they normally come loaded with 10's. It's the cheaper Strats like Mex Standards & Squiers that come with 9s. Not a problem though. you can put whatever feels comfortable to you on both your guitars. The brightness & brashness of the Mex tonal response, is most likely to be the fact that it probably has bar magnet pickups under the covers, & not Alnico slugs like the higher end Strats have. The Alnicos tend to have a slightly warmer, fuller tone. As regards the stiffness in the Mex guitar's trem action, try opening the back panel & loosening the tension screws that hold the spring plate into the body by a turn or two. that will make the bridge float a bit, & up & down action of the trem should be much easier. You will, of course, have to do a general re-tuning of the guitar afterwards.

Best regards, Tony.
RUSSET

Postby neil2726 » 28 Aug 2010, 10:46

Rosemary - playing together is very nice! :D
neil2726

Postby Rosemary » 28 Aug 2010, 11:44

Hi Tony and Neil
Tony: Thanks for your help and explanation. I actually saw those springs today because one of the Strats in the shop was missing its cover so know what you mean but at this stage I might leave this to the experts. :) I still have trouble simply changing the strings on my acoustic. It takes me about an hour and a half and I usually end up with bandaids over my fingers from prodding the strings into my fingers in the process.

Tomorrow I'll get both instruments out to compare the strings. It's amazing how similar they look but how different in tone and feel (well it's an amazing discovery to me as a newbie) :)

Neil: I don't think he's as interested in playing as listening but we'll see.:)
best wishes
Rosemary
Rosemary

Return to Guitars and Gear