Watkins Copicat Gold

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Watkins Copicat Gold

Postby jgoatcher » Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:52 pm

I was wondering if anyone has any experience of the new Watkins echo unit and could give an objective assessment ( if that's possible) of its performance in comparison with the other common units in use such as the Magicstomp, Quadraverbs, or even the tape machines it claims to replicate. I know Alan Jackson ( whose knowledge of all things echoee I greatly respect) had some considerable input into the creation of the echo patterns, but I have never seen one of these machines in use and do not recall much chat on the subject on any of the forums.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

John Goatcher
jgoatcher

Re: Watkins Copicat Gold

Postby roger bayliss » Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:16 pm

Dave Robinson posted some soundfiles in the soundfiles a while back and I think Alan assisted him .. do a search to find them
American Pro Series Strat 2017, G&L S500 Natural Ash
roger bayliss

Full Real Name: Roger Bayliss

Postby Amanda » Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:14 pm

I was speaking to a well respected Lead Guitarist and he said that
in his opinion the Copicat Gold is a superb echo unit, I believe it is based
on analogue "Bucket Brigade" technology rather than digital.

Alan Jackson also rates the unit highly!

Amanda
[Check Out My Meazzi Site: http://www.meazzi.org.uk
And Tape Echo Forum: http://ac15.org.uk/meazzibbs/index.php

You're Never Alone With A Mitzi!
Amanda

Full Real Name: Amanda Hambidge

Postby alandjackson » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:26 pm

Thanks, John, for your query.

The Gold is/was a superb unit having 5 banks each containing 12 echo patches and I was able to programme Meazzi, Watkins, Binson, VOX and Roland sounds into the unit. The sound I describe as warm with a beautiful 'bloom' to the echoes. Each model of echo box simulated had an authentic amount of 'dirt' characteristic of the model and there were controls for the user to change echo volume, feedback, bass and treble and amount of 'wow' to taste and then, if wished, to reprogramme.

I should have liked a little more time to get the prototype exactly right (it was still damned good) before handing it over to Robbo for him to produce some demo tracks but it was never returned to me since the Watkins people thought it good enough.

The downside of the Gold was that changing Banks was a little clumsy and there was no digital display to tell the user which patch had been selected. Perhaps these were the reasons why the Gold did not catch on as only ten machines were ordered and so is has been discontinued. Charlie Watkins told me that he was replacing the Gold with a new unit presently in development which appears to be more user-friendly and I look forward to seeing one to play with.

Alan D. Jackson.
alandjackson

Full Real Name: Alan David Jackson

Postby AndyKC » Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:47 pm

GOSH I am glad Charlie is still hanging in there! :D
AndyKC

Return to Gear