Help, advice needed on choosing a guitar

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Help, advice needed on choosing a guitar

Postby tonyRyman » Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:32 pm

Hi To All

I hope i have posted this in the correct place?.

I need some advice on choosing another guitar. I am only a novice player been playing for about 18 months on a Squire Hank Marvin signiture guitar
and would like to get a better guitar.

Is the Hank Marvin signiture MIM guitar a better instrument as i know of one for sale, what would be a fair price for one in good condition?

I have considered getting a Fender Stratocaster Classic Player but can not decide on 50 's or 60's model, would this be a better guitar, than the Hank Marvin signiture MIM guitar made in the 1990"s.

Kind regards
Tony
tonyRyman

Full Real Name: Anthony Ryman

Re: Help, advice needed on choosing a guitar

Postby AlanMcKillop » Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:37 pm

A lot of people don't seem to rate the MIM guitars and I too had my doubts before owning several. The Classic Player series are excellent, both the 50's or 60's and both are fitted with C/S 57/62 p/u's. The only downside is that neither models come in Fiesta Red, Shoreline Gold and Sunburst in the 50's and Sonic Blue (I think) and Sunburst in the 60's series.

I loved the Sunburst 50's model so much, that I got Ian Harper to respray it FR, so that's another route you can go down if colour matters.

MIM also do a Classic series which does come in FR, but I'm not sure which p/u's are fitted, but again replacement is an option.

IMHO, the 60's series is very slightly better, I like the sound and feel of the rosewood neck, however, it does have better p/u's than the MIM HM sig, but not the correct colour.
AlanMcKillop

Full Real Name: Alan McKillop

Postby dave robinson » Sun Oct 03, 2010 2:08 pm

May I correct you on those pickups Alan, the 60's Classic Player is facory fitted with Custom Shop '69's by Abigail Y'Barra. I have both models and have come to the conclusion that the '69's sound more authentic than the 57/62's on the rosewood board. I tried 57/62's on the 60's rosewood board version and it sounded aweful - so much so that I was ready to sell it. Having long ago 'stolen' the CS69's for another Strat (which sounds great) I refitted it with Seymour Duncan Alnico Pro II's and it is once again a 'keeper'. I found that certain pickups do not agree with certain body and neck types , we live and learn. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby George Geddes » Sun Oct 03, 2010 2:10 pm

Have a look at the Squier Simon Neil Signature model, which *does* come in Fiesta Red.

George
George Geddes

Full Real Name: George Geddes

Postby Mike Honey » Sun Oct 03, 2010 2:38 pm

i post this as i heard it from a guy who worked for Fender US for a long time. It sounds like it should be in the rumour and inuendo department but here it goes! Fact ; the US government gives financial incentives to corporate industries who will open factories in Mexico (true reason is to give employment to mexicans which in turn helps with the illegal immigrant problem in the US). Every night 2 artics leave USA for Mexico loaded with parts made in US at the Fender factory,On arrival in Mexico the guitars are assembled and sold as MIM guitars/ Obviously not all fender models are made this way but it makes sense when you read other posts in this thread!! Anbody else heard this one?

Mike
Mike Honey

Postby AlanMcKillop » Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:53 pm

You're right Dave, I was getting my USA Vintage strat (which has 57/62's) mixed up. :oops:
AlanMcKillop

Full Real Name: Alan McKillop

Postby RUSSET » Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:40 pm

I heard that Fender USA models are sent to the Ensenada factory in Mexico for paint spraying only, as Mexico hasn't got the severe toxic emission laws that the USA has. They are then returned to California for assembly. The Mexican factory does indeed make it's own ranges, as stated, & it is a very modern manufacturing plant with an excellent, skilled workforce.
Tony
I am surprised that you are not happy with your Squier HBM Strat. They are well made Jap guitars with a great neck. It might be that the pickups could be upgraded to a set of quality Alnico magnet ones. The Mex Classic series are great guitars, & I sold one a year ago for £300. The Mex HBM model is really just a Classic series guitar with an Easymute Trem arm. The Mex Classic Players are also really good, & a step up from the Classic series. As George has mentioned, the Squier 'Classic Vibe' series Simon Neal Strat comes in Fiesta Red & has a Rosewood board, & at £260 is really great value.

Cheers, Tony Russell.
RUSSET

Postby Stratpicker » Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:16 pm

tonyRyman wrote:Hi To All
I am only a novice player been playing for about 18 months on a Squire Hank Marvin signiture guitar
and would like to get a better guitar.

What is it about the HBM that you don't like? It could be fixable quite easily.
Those on this Forum who know me may well remember my first Strat when I was at the same point in leaning as you are - a VERY second hand 1991 Squier HBM Signature Strat. Part of the Squier Silver Series of 1990-92 they were quite a High Spec build for Squier at that time. Great alder body and a lovely maple neck. The let down was in the pickups and bridge. A second hand set of Kinmans fixed the first problem and a genuine '62 FENDER bridge (steel block and all!!) for peanuts off eBay fixed the second. It fits without any mods needed. I used that guitar almost exclusively until I had saved up enough to get my '57 Re-Issue and Alan Brason built Strat.
cheers
ian
Stratpicker

Full Real Name: Ian Plant

Postby Mikey » Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:15 pm

Hi Tony

I have the MIM Hank Marvin Signature and I'm very pleased with it. I believe Ecca may also have had one and has commented favourably on it. They were a limited run (500 I believe) and they are quite hard to come by so I'm hanging on to mine. I'm no technician but here's some highlights from info kindly supplied recently by the aforementioned Ecca (thanks Ecca):
The guitar was part of the Classic range and was given a RRP of £679.95. The body timber is poplar and the neck is one piece maple witha "soft" V profile. The radius is 12.5" and it has 21frets. P/Us are Fender Vintage single coil with staggered Alnico magnets. The guitar was strung with Fender nickle plated Super 250R. It also has the "Easy-Mute tremelo.
I've attached a pic of mine, minus the trem arm (I'd forget my head if it wasn't screwed on!).
Strat.jpg
(205.08 KiB) Downloaded 7339 times

Akso attached, courtesy of Didier (merci mon ami) is the original ad for the Classic Player range.
HBM0.jpg
(90.44 KiB) Downloaded 7339 times

I got mine - brand new unplayed - on Ebay for considerably less than the RRP but soon afterwards saw one offered by an online dealer for the "bargain" price of £799. He was avin' a laugh!
I think the guitar produces some good Shads sounds (I use a vox AC15 CCI) and should also hold its value.
I hope this had helped and not confused you! My thanks again to Ecca and Didier as superb sources of information!
Mikey

Postby des mcneill » Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:42 pm

Hi Tony,
I have watched this thread with interest. I have several strats,the one I would not part with is my Squire Marvin,it is a great guitar and two of my friends rate theirs very highly as well so I would suggest carefull consideration before parting with it. A change of pickups could work wonders.
Des.
des mcneill

Full Real Name: des mcneill

Next

Return to Gear