Reliability

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Reliability

Postby Tab » Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:05 am

Reading Justin's recent comments on the pre Shadowmania issues with gear and several other previous postings re echo machines and amps needing the attention of Amanda on gig site begs the comment that these re-furbished vintage units may sound good but are they worth the hassle if you can't rely on them on the night!

I have to say that my TVS3 delivers the sound and can be relied upon to work every time and is probably a lot cheaper than finding a Meazzi, having the alterations made and maintaining it.

Having said all that, I can still understand the appeal of the vintage stuff.
Tab

Full Real Name: Terry Bryant

Re: Reliability

Postby AlanMcKillop » Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:34 am

I knew of the issues that J was experiencing and for me, I wouldn't put myself through that. Sometimes there is enough pressure just doing the gig, that additional worry about gear is not welcome. J had problems with his 'vintage' gear at Newcastle and Tilburg, and yes, when it works, it sounds great (as at SM) but how many people want the additional stress of wondering if something is going to fail?
AlanMcKillop

Full Real Name: Alan McKillop

Postby Amanda » Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:50 am

Hi,

As i just posted on my"Tribute" topic, any gear can go wrong, the problem with Justin's Meazzi
could have happened on any piece of Valve gear even a brand new amp.

Justin's Meazzi is in excellent condition for it's age.

The only attention to amps I have ever done was at The Children in Need Gig last year,
I arrived early to replace a faulty smoothing cap on Justin's AC15 which was causing a hum,
but the amp was still working. The other problem was 10 minutes before they were due to
play the lead guitarist of one of the bands came over to me and asked if i'd look at his AC30 which
had gone dead, dead simple problem, in pulling the mains cable out the speaker lead had pulled off!

Old gear and new gear can fail, regular maintenance is a good idea.
[Check Out My Meazzi Site: http://www.meazzi.org.uk
And Tape Echo Forum: http://ac15.org.uk/meazzibbs/index.php

You're Never Alone With A Mitzi!
Amanda

Full Real Name: Amanda Hambidge

Postby cockroach » Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:39 pm

Stick with transistors for ultimate reliability on gigs!!!! :lol:
cockroach

Full Real Name: john cochrane

Return to Gear